What are your photography tips?

skrink

Hi everyone!

My daughter and I are going on our first cruisetour to Alaska in May. As very amateur photographers, I thought it might be fun to gather tips on how to capture good photos.

Examples: Somewhere on these forums I read a suggestion to bring an extra memory card. And another suggestion was to practice taking rapid succession shots to get the best whale pics.

What suggestions do you have for getting good pictures?

Hi everyone!

My daughter and I are going on our first cruisetour to Alaska in May. As very amateur photographers, I thought it might be fun to gather tips on how to capture good photos.

Examples: Somewhere on these forums I read a suggestion to bring an extra memory card. And another suggestion was to practice taking rapid succession shots to get the best whale pics.

What suggestions do you have for getting good pictures?

Yes, memory card and extra battery. Also my photography teacher said shoot in sports mode because things happen quickly. I also set my camera to take multiple pictures which helped capture just the right picture. Watch out for reflection when shooting out the train or bus windows.... maybe use a lens hood. I shot 1500 pictures over a 15 day period...enjoy

Hello Pictures can be fun but very stressful here are a few things to think about

What kind of camera are you using? Become familiar with the camera and what it can and cant do. The time to read the book is now not when you get to AK.

My self I bring my small laptop so I can download my pictures daily when i am on a trip. I do take a lot of pictures with my two cameras so daily down loads are important.

Memory cards. I use smaller 16gig cards just encase one fails i know i am not loosing more than one days pictures if I forgot to download them. Memory cards can be cheap bring a few the extra batteries you may need them depending on the camera..

As for doing tours and worrying about glare off glass try to wear a dark shirt when on a bus or plane tour the darker color will cut down on some of the reflection.

I can share more tips but will depend on the camera you are using...

Good luck

JD

Using a point and shoot camera. I think the memory card holds 2G.

I like the idea to have the ship download pics to a disk. Which cruiseline was that?

Several years ago RCI put ours on a disc although I would think most of them would do that for a price. It might be better to buy a USB drive for 10 bucks give them that with the memory card to download to.

It might be better to buy a USB drive for 10 bucks give them that with the memory card to download to.

<head slap> Now why didn't I think of that?! ;)

Daily downloads are great if you have the time, but the only way I know to do this is to bring my laptop (which I don't want to schlep around) or take pics with my phone and upload them. My phone is not a good choice as the camera takes the picture later than I expect it to. By the time the phone takes the picture, the whale will be underwater again! Any tips on alternatives to laptops and phones for regular downloads?

There are portable devices that will accept your camera's memory card and you can download them to the device yourself and not have to bother with the ship's photo department. They're about $100. When you get home you can just upload everything to your computer. Search for something like "portable camera backup".

Just bring several memory cards and switch them out.

And don't forget to bring the instruction booklet, if there is one. No matter how much you practice, there may be things you never imagined using/doing so didn't practice them. Also, if you don't use your camera regularly, it's too easy to forget how to do something.

Learn how to turn off your camera noises if your camera has that ability. Last year I was driven crazy by everyone else's cameras when 6 of us were trying to take pics of animals. Some of them didn't figure it out until the end of a 10 day trip. It's amazing how far that sound carries.

I am tacking my 7 `` tablet and have already practiced downloading/uploading photos onto it from memory cards. I do have lots of memory available but tend to take lots of rapid shots and use zoom modes a lot. Also same cards fit underwater video/stills camera. Have lots of batteries but prob take charger too if weight limits allow. Beauty of digital photography is you can shoot and delete loads without worrying about cost of development. My trouble is I miss out on the experience because too busy taking pics.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you have an REI sporting goods store nearby, they do offer basic photography classes. I can't stress enough being familiar with your camera & it's function. On the trip is not the time to be learning how your camera operates.

Enjoy Alaska - we took a 7-day cruise, and over the course of it I took nearly 6000 pictures. Very thankful for digital - that amount of film & processing would have bankrupted me.

I was on the Coral Princess when I had the pictures downloaded onto a disc. Remember when you are whale watching to look for the "foot print"- an oval shadow on the water- that means that a whale is under there and on the way up. We looked for them and then just started clicking- we got some amazing pictures. We learned that and other stuff here on these boards. Like the "secret" balcony on the Baja deck on the Coral. I used that balcony on the Alaskan cruise and then again last April on the 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

Remember when you are whale watching to look for the "foot print"- an oval shadow on the water- that means that a whale is under there and on the way up. We looked for them and then just started clicking- we got some amazing pictures. We learned that and other stuff here on these boards. Like the "secret" balcony on the Baja deck on the Coral. I used that balcony on the Alaskan cruise and then again last April on the 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

No matter how much reading I do at CC, I always learn new things. First a chainpod and now this. You guys are awesome! :)

I was on the Coral Princess when I had the pictures downloaded onto a disc. Remember when you are whale watching to look for the "foot print"- an oval shadow on the water- that means that a whale is under there and on the way up. We looked for them and then just started clicking- we got some amazing pictures. We learned that and other stuff here on these boards. Like the "secret" balcony on the Baja deck on the Coral. I used that balcony on the Alaskan cruise and then again last April on the 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

These tips are wonderful! My wife got some great shots of whales but if we had known about looking for that footprint it would have made a difference.

We are talking about a Panama Canal cruise for next year on Princess. Can you tell me how to find that secret balcony?

Thanks!

On the Coral Princess you go all the way forward- sometimes there will be signs saying crew only and such, but go anyway- on our 1st time on the Coral- the Alaskan cruise tour we were a little hesitant, but once we got on board we asked a ship's officer and he said that it was fine- they can't tell everyone because the balcony that extends across the bow-just one deck below the bridge is big, but not big enough for all. On the open decks they had clear shields up to protect people from the crosswinds, so balconies were the only barrier-free areas for pictures, etc. It really it ok to go there- when we were there the Captain and other officers on the bridge waved at us and the photography crew came and took pictures of us with a background of glaciers! There were generally 30 to 50 people there at one time and sometimes an officer. I told others who were complaining about the barriers, and some went but some were chicken. Go ahead- it's great I told people from the roll call on the Panama Canal cruise and we spent most of the day there during the canal transit. There are aft balconies as well. Check the deck plans and make yours. The aft balconies don't seem to have signs saying don't go there, but the forward ones do- why I don't know, since they all said that it was ok. Have fun!

On the Coral Princess you go all the way forward- sometimes there will be signs saying crew only and such, but go anyway- on our 1st time on the Coral- the Alaskan cruise tour we were a little hesitant, but once we got on board we asked a ship's officer and he said that it was fine- they can't tell everyone because the balcony that extends across the bow-just one deck below the bridge is big, but not big enough for all. On the open decks they had clear shields up to protect people from the crosswinds, so balconies were the only barrier-free areas for pictures, etc. It really it ok to go there- when we were there the Captain and other officers on the bridge waved at us and the photography crew came and took pictures of us with a background of glaciers! There were generally 30 to 50 people there at one time and sometimes an officer. I told others who were complaining about the barriers, and some went but some were chicken. Go ahead- it's great I told people from the roll call on the Panama Canal cruise and we spent most of the day there during the canal transit. There are aft balconies as well. Check the deck plans and make yours. The aft balconies don't seem to have signs saying don't go there, but the forward ones do- why I don't know, since they all said that it was ok. Have fun!

Thank you so much for posting this--it really helps!

Can only think of three major things. . .

3- Make sure you have an extra memory card or two

2- Learn how to operate your camera by practicing w/all of the different settings and lenses

1- If this is not a repeat trip, but a "once-in-a-lifetime" destination, don't see all of the special and breathtaking views through the view-finder of a camera, be it still or video. I did that on more than one special vacation and always regretted it.

Using a point and shoot camera. I think the memory card holds 2G.

I like the idea to have the ship download pics to a disk. Which cruiseline was that?

What type of P&S camera? There is a wide variety of capabilities in P&S cameras. Check to see if you have scenery modes. Also for whales if it has a sports setting, use that. Ideally, learn how to shoot without leaving the camera on auto if possible.

If the card holds 2GB, invest in a few more. You can pick up a 32GB SD card for $20-$30 on amazon. If your camera does video and you take some video with it, that can suck up memory space.

Best advice, always keep your camera on you and take pictures early and often.;)

Tim

What type of P&S camera? There is a wide variety of capabilities in P&S cameras. Check to see if you have scenery modes. Also for whales if it has a sports setting, use that. Ideally, learn how to shoot without leaving the camera on auto if possible.

If the card holds 2GB, invest in a few more. You can pick up a 32GB SD card for $20-$30 on amazon. If your camera does video and you take some video with it, that can suck up memory space.

Best advice, always keep your camera on you and take pictures early and often.;)

Tim

It is a Kodak EasyShare C195. I just looked at the user guide to see what modes it has and hoo boy, there is a lot to learn! (Haven't had the camera long enough to use it much.) I see there are scenery and sport modes--great recommendation to use sport mode for whales! :)

Archived