I-75/FL T-Pike/Beeline vs I-95 advice please

Normal 1

Greetings experts. Will be driving departing from Macon, GA next Friday (3/8) to head to Port Canaveral.

Looks like 3 options:

1 - I-75 - FL Turnpike/Beeline

2 - I-16 to I-95 at Savannah

3 - I-75 to I-10 to I-95

Miles and timing are very close. If we take the toll-roads...Are there any cashless areas along this route? (requiring the purchase of a pass?).

I'm leaning toward #2.... Would appreciate input from those who frequent these routes.

Thanks in advance.

We sail out of PC quite often.......we have found the I-16 to I-95 to be the most pleasant drive. No tolls and you get there in the same amount of time as I-75 to I-10 to I-95 (we have never driven #3).

Just take the Hwy 528 exit off of I-95 and stay straight on that road for about 12 miles and it will turn into Astronaut Blvd right at the pier.

]

We travel down from Atlanta and always just take I-75. There are many areas that are cashless so you will need a pass. They sell a mini pass for $4.99 that is just a sticker you put on your window at the turnpike stops, Publix, etc. The $4.99 is then credited towards your tolls. We have never run into any traffic on I-75 even when traveling during the week/ during rush hour.

If you take option #2, and you are in Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona) around lunch or dinner, be sure to stop at one of my favorite bbq restaurants in Florida - Daytona Pig Stand right off 95 at exit 273.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daytona-pig-stand-ormond-beach

If you like bbq, you don't want to miss it.

Love BBQ and will be passing there at lunch time... This sounds like a great place to stop!!

Thanks!

If you take option #2, and you are in Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona) around lunch or dinner, be sure to stop at one of my favorite bbq restaurants in Florida - Daytona Pig Stand right off 95 at exit 273.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daytona-pig-stand-ormond-beach

If you like bbq, you don't want to miss it.

Be aware March 8th is the 1st day of Bike Week....there will be thousands of bikers in this area as it's next to the Harley Davidson dealer.

It will likely be packed, they are set up to handle a crowd at that time & there will be one.

Also, the Savannah route via I-95 is the best..that's the way I go.

Be aware March 8th is the 1st day of Bike Week....there will be thousands of bikers in this area as it's next to the Harley Davidson dealer.

It will likely be packed, they are set up to handle a crowd at that time & there will be one.

I agree with you Aria.......I would stay on I-95 and keep on trucking. No way would I get off the expressway and go over to Ormond Beach and get in that crowd.

Thanks for this information... Guess we'll try this on our return....will the crowds have dwindled by Sat. 3/16?

I agree with you Aria.......I would stay on I-95 and keep on trucking. No way would I get off the expressway and go over to Ormond Beach and get in that crowd.

Just a note - the restaurant referred to is right at the Interstate 95 exit #273. No need to go over anywhere.

The bikers will be there for sure, but the crowd will also be packing the interstate driving south.

They do not ride their motorcycles to Daytona, they put them into a trailer, stop at the rest stop just before, and then ride the rest of the way.

I would, however, also take 95, just be prepared for lots of trucks with trailers, motor homes, and campers. Once south of Daytona, you'll be fine.

Thanks for this information... Guess we'll try this on our return....will the crowds have dwindled by Sat. 3/16?

No. It goes through the 17th with the two weekends being the worst for crowds. If you go early in the day it won't be as crowded, but as the day wears on, the crowds grow.

Archived