Breakaway vs Gem

searlie

Hi,

We are planning a cruise for June 2013 out of NYC... This will be our 2nd cruise as a family - the first one was in 2010 on the Jewel and we had the best time ever! Our kids (they will be 15 and 21 for this next cruise so not young kids) -- but anyway, they just loved cruising... We definitely want to do NCL out of NYC again.

Okay, that is my brief history and below are my questions -- any help/suggestions would be great!

We have been looking at the Breakaway -- the activities for my son ( very active, athletic 15 yr old) on that ship look awesome! Also, we would all love just relaxing and enjoying all the food, shows, etc...

My main concern is Bermuda -- so much "sea time" makes me very nervous. I have heard that the waters to and from Bermuda can be rough. I know it is impossible to predict but if we are in open sea and have rough, high waves or a storm, I would be in panic mode. I don't get seasick, just scared... :rolleyes:

So, that leads me to the Gem...it hugs the coastline more, but the itinerary is the same as our previous cruise and I don't want my son to be bored. The positives are that we have family in FL so we can visit them when we stop there and like I said, not as much time in the open sea...and the price is less expensive than Breakaway.

We can't wait to cruise again, just trying to figure out the best way to go! Sorry to be so wordy and thanks so much for any help!!! :)

I would say you can't go wrong either way! But just to give you some info to help you with your decision, I don't think the waters to Bermuda are "rough" and I wouldn't let that stop me from booking it if you were attracted to the destination and the ship. There is just as much "sea time" on both itineraries you are looking at. You're also going in June so you run the risk of choppy seas whether you're headed towards the Bahamas or Bermuda.

My family sailed on the Gem to Bermuda trailing behind Hurricane Irene in 2011. Seas got a little choppy but nothing that should scare anyone. The captain does what he can to keep everyone safe. So much so we even got an extra day out of it!

As for the ship. If you and your family loved the Jewel you will love the Gem as well. I just sailed her again recently and she's looking good and has a terrific crew! However, if the Breakaway sailing to Bermuda is within your budget I'd go for it! New ship, new amenities, new destination. I think there will be plenty to do to take your mind off the rough seas if there are any!

We were on the GEM to Bermuda in 2011, the Star in 2013. The waters were choppy and people were sick really bad on each trip. The GEM the staff had to drain the pools and lock the doors to the decks from high waves.

We were not aware of any tropical activity, just rain, wind and waves. Last year we had to leave a day early due to one of the hurricaines, very disappointed. But, the GEM held the waves better then the STAR did.

The Breakaway would have been my choice this year but I am not paying triple to cruise on a new ship. It is a lot nicer staying on the Island for three days just walking or hopping a Ferry around at ease not worry to cram everything into a few hours.

Maybe next year he rates will drop and will go back. I just love Bermuda. Try to desensitize yourself if you do not get sea sick. Even when the emptied the pool and hot tubs, it was not threatening to me, and I am a worrier and anxiety attacks. Thought it was interesting and bit funn the short period of time we rode the rise of the waves. We were on level 4 with a portal hat trip, waves were so neat to watch.

If cost is not an issue, I would rather Bermuda. Get a script fir Ativan, relax and enjoy, enjoy!

I would spend the extra bucks and take the Breakaway. The ship is certainly the destination, the ports are just icing on the cake. The sports and amenities on that top deck look amazing, your kids will love it and not want to leave the ship.

We have the Breakaway booked for June and can't wait! We have had good luck with smooth seas since we have been going to Bermuda (except in Sept). Even though heading South closer to the coast (have done that a couple of times) we have run into rough seas. Either itinerary could give you rough seas. I personally like to try a different ship just to get the WOW factor. I did find after being on the same ship for a second time the same excitement just wasn't there. We have done Bermuda out of Boston and even though Black Falcon is closer for us (and cheaper to park), we are driving the five hours to Manhatten to go on a different ship. The Breakaway looks incredible!! Let us know what you decide. :D

Hi,

We are planning a cruise for June 2013 out of NYC... This will be our 2nd cruise as a family - the first one was in 2010 on the Jewel and we had the best time ever! Our kids (they will be 15 and 21 for this next cruise so not young kids) -- but anyway, they just loved cruising... We definitely want to do NCL out of NYC again.

Okay, that is my brief history and below are my questions -- any help/suggestions would be great!

We have been looking at the Breakaway -- the activities for my son ( very active, athletic 15 yr old) on that ship look awesome! Also, we would all love just relaxing and enjoying all the food, shows, etc...

My main concern is Bermuda -- so much "sea time" makes me very nervous. I have heard that the waters to and from Bermuda can be rough. I know it is impossible to predict but if we are in open sea and have rough, high waves or a storm, I would be in panic mode. I don't get seasick, just scared... :rolleyes:

So, that leads me to the Gem...it hugs the coastline more, but the itinerary is the same as our previous cruise and I don't want my son to be bored. The positives are that we have family in FL so we can visit them when we stop there and like I said, not as much time in the open sea...and the price is less expensive than Breakaway.

We can't wait to cruise again, just trying to figure out the best way to go! Sorry to be so wordy and thanks so much for any help!!! :)

I would love to sail on The Breakaway. The pictures from Her Float Out the other day were amazing. I am assuming the The Bridge has every up to date navigational device available. If I am very sure that either Captain is NOT going to risk extremely bad weather, if he can. That being said The Breakaway should be one of the safest ship afloat. Passenger safety is the primary concern. I would not worry at all.

The Breakaway certainly has a lot to offer (28 dining options). Lots and lots of on board activvities.

Whichever ship you choose, you will have a great time.

We did the Explorer last year on June the 23rd and we are doing the Breakaway the exact sames days this year. Its a good time for us as school gets out three days prior.

We had wonderful weather and smooth seas for the whole trip. First off the captain will do everything he can to move around a storm, if there even is one. Last thing they want is a sick group of people. On top of that the Breakaway is much bigger than the Gem and it should take the seas a bit better.

And last but not least if you can handle the sticker shock the Breakaway looks wonderful, especially with all they have for kids.

Even though my tag doesn't show it this will be our 10th cruise and I'm more excited for this one than any other we have done.

You will have a great time no matter what you choose.

About 5 years ago we went on the Jewel to Bermuda. I called it "the cruise to hell and back". We had 50 ft waves and 50 mph winds....awful weather both ways. I don't get seasick (perhaps one of the few on the ship who didn't) but I was terrified. The buffet looked like a ghost town. The pools were drained; there was no access to "outdoors", the ship was listing....etc.

Since then I've only done "the ships that sail close to shore" and I would not set foot on a ship heading to Bermuda....even for free.

But....that was my experience. Most people have better ones...........

You can always look at the average Wave Heights here: http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

That will allow you to get a sense of how frequently they get high.

That said, we spent 5 days in the Bering Sea in a tropical depression (a bit less than a hurricane) with 25-30 ft seas....and it was fine.

I was a bit nauseous, but that was all.

The problem with Bermuda, as I see it, is not the seas...but the triangles. :rolleyes::p;)

You can always look at the average Wave Heights here: http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

That will allow you to get a sense of how frequently they get high.

That said, we spent 5 days in the Bering Sea in a tropical depression (a bit less than a hurricane) with 25-30 ft seas....and it was fine.

I was a bit nauseous, but that was all.

The problem with Bermuda, as I see it, is not the seas...but the triangles. :rolleyes::p;)

:D We have done a couple of night cruises in the triangle...still here! :p

Sailed on Celebrity to Bermuda May 2012, absolutely love Bermuda, heading back May 2014 on the Breakaway. Seas were absolutely fine going there, on the way back we caught the tail end of a tropical storm, we noticed a bit more movement than usual but nothing that had us worried. Would highly recommend Bermuda cruise to anyone, island is beautiful, great beaches. If you purchase a bus pass you can get from one end of the island to the other quite easily.

Sailed on Star to Bermuda no problems with waves. Week before is when the Star broke her moorings during high winds.

Month later we were supposed to go back to Bermuda on the Caribbean Princess, ended up in Boston for 6 days (Thanks Sandy)

You just can't tell.

For the kids I would do the Breakaway.

DW and I (no kids) choose the Gem over the Breakaway this coming December purely on price. Could not beat midship BA 9 days over what they are charging on the Breakaway, that ship will just have to wait a year or to for me when the prices come down (I hope).

It sounds like you have a good handle on th variables between the two.

IMHO: wait a year on the Breakaway. It's crazy expensive right now. Yes, it's a better ship, but let everyone else try it out and then scoop it up for half price in two years.

I hope I am replying correctly -- just wanted to thank you all for all of the helpful comments and suggestions!!! I really appreciate it so much and will let you all know the final decision!! :)

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents, if I may. I sailed the OLD Carnivale. and Mardi Gras from Boston to Bermuda during the 70's and 80's, and they were really small ships (?) Granted, we stayed close to shore, but we saw some storms too. Not once did we have any wx to make you think you were on the "Ship from Hell". I think you have been listening to alot of non-cruisers, (not CC'ers) that only know of the Concordia, and Triumph. Just pick what you are comfortable with, and enjoy. R.A.:rolleyes:

We've done both itineraries - the Spirit from NYC to PC, Nassau, etc. and the Gem to Bermuda. We had pretty rough seas both times, with Bermuda being the worst seas I've ever been on in my six cruises.

My 17-year-old daughter LOVED LOVED LOVED the PC/Nassau cruise. We went to Sea World in Orlando, shopped and bummed around Nassau and Atlantis, and went to the beach on Grand Bahama Island which was beautiful. That said, she would have had fun in Bermuda as well. We spent a lot more time "commuting" in Bermuda on buses and ferries to the sites than we did on the other itinerary, which may become bothersome to a teen.

We got rained on severely on both trips - just take a poncho, put on some sandals and carry on.

Hi,

Ok, I worked for NCL onboard and have done the Bermuda Run Many Many times.It is true the seas can get rough in the Atlantic. Even on a calm day the seas are not like the ones along the coast or in the Gulf of Mexico. Also, My experiance the port of Bermuda is not all its cracked up to be especially for kids. The perks are the Breakway will be mostly empty while docked so lots of fun onboard with alot less people.

I guess if you are going on the cruise to simply go to Bermuda then its worth it

Thank you all again SO much! I really appreciate hearing feedback and suggestions from experienced cruisers... Thinking about either one sounds wonderful to me right now!! :rolleyes:

I will post once we decide which one and actually book it. Thanks again!! :)

Archived