Should we use Oceania transfers?

greenamber

Hello everyone. We are first timers with Oceania and I am hoping that there are some well travelled Oceania cruisers who may be able to offer some advice. We are using Oceania air for our cruise and have just received the flight schedule. The flight arrival time for our starting point in Athens is 13.50. Now assuming the flight is on time, with the cruise departing at 18.00 it seems pretty tight to me. However I guess there will be others on the same flight. My question is would it be better to use Oceania transfers, I know they are on the expensive side, but I would rather be in their hands if there is any delay. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. We are first timers with Oceania and I am hoping that there are some well travelled Oceania cruisers who may be able to offer some advice. We are using Oceania air for our cruise and have just received the flight schedule. The flight arrival time for our starting point in Athens is 13.50. Now assuming the flight is on time, with the cruise departing at 18.00 it seems pretty tight to me. However I guess there will be others on the same flight. My question is would it be better to use Oceania transfers, I know they are on the expensive side, but I would rather be in their hands if there is any delay. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have never and probably would never use O's transfers. For much less money and much more comfort you can book a private car in almost all ports. Athens Taxi was very prompt and courteous and reasonable.

We flew in to Athens last August and used George's Taxi on Jim&Stan's recommendation (taxigreece@yahoo.com). The fare was €60 for the two of us straight to our hotel. The driver was waiting for us when we came into the terminal, spoke perfect English and had a comfortable car. I also had recommendations for Paul Kalomiris who would have charged €55 (paul_kalomiris@hotmail.com).

Like Orchestrapal, we have never used one of O's transfers even when we use their air.

Mura

I'll share our experiences with O transfers.

Last year in Athens the O transfer did not go directly to the port. Instead we were informed upon arrival that we would first get a complimentary tour of Athens then go to the ship. We asked if we could skip the tour and just go to the ship on another bus ... But, all transfers were getting the tour we were told. We must admit, tired as we were, we thoroughly enjoyed the 45 minute diversion in Athens. But, we like to be able to board as soon as is permissible.

The prior year in Rome we were able to get a later O transfer bus that was not including a tour.

Overall, the O transfers are pricey but reliable and easy to book

We flew in to Athens last August and used George's Taxi on Jim&Stan's recommendation (taxigreece@yahoo.com). The fare was €60 for the two of us straight to our hotel. The driver was waiting for us when we came into the terminal, spoke perfect English and had a comfortable car. I also had recommendations for Paul Kalomiris who would have charged €55 (paul_kalomiris@hotmail.com).

Like Orchestrapal, we have never used one of O's transfers even when we use their air.

Mura

We used Paul Kalomiris for a tour of Athens last year and intend to book them for transfers only this October. We would highly recommend them.

Getting slightly off topic, for an 18:00 departure from Athens what time would we need to be on board? Also is there food or snack available all afternoon on

Departure day?

I would rather be in their hands if there is any delay.

Normally, we are huge proponents of doing it yourself, but when the timing is as tight as this is, having the Cruise Line "do the worrying" trumps everything else.

The old saying is that Misery Loves Company, but it is also true that there is comfort in numbers-

104205.jpg If you have ever even "almost" missed your ship, then you know that there is no worse feeling, and you won't want to experience it alone.

I don't see that the timing is that tight. Even presuming your arrival is delayed an hour or two, you should still have plenty of time. Let's say your flight arrives at 2:30, and presuming you've already gone through customs and immigration on a connecting flight but have to wait for your luggages, you leave the airport around 3 p.m. You then have 3 hours to get to the cruise port--in fact it will probably take about a half hour to get there, or perhaps a bit longer if you hit traffic.

When we there a few years back we used Paul (I think it's "Paul the Greek Taxi Driver", http://www.*************.)

That being said we always arrive the day before our cruise.

Remember that just because you buy cruise transfer from Oceania, and use their air program, they don't guarantee to hold the ship for you if something dire happens.

Notice that you are from the UK. Just to say we have done our own transfers each time we have sailed from Athens.

Please remember that if the plane is late then there is a good chance that othr passengers, with O transfers, are on the same flight. That way they are still going to wait for their own transfer passengers to get on the ship. Also they will have to wait to fill the coach with the people and you could be on you way with only two to get into a car.

We have used transfers in Athens many times and they are always there with their board. In fact one taxi firm we have used 4 times and will be doing it again this year in Athens. Perhaps you are on the same cruise as us, when is it you re sailing??

Hope this goes some way to ease your fears.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jim and Stan you have turned my frown upside down!! I think we will forgo the limo and get on the Oceania bus! On reflection it would have been better to go out a few days early, but DH still works and holiday days are few in number and we need to stretch them as far as possible hence the reason for going with Oceania air. I suppose worst case if there is a delay the next port is only a few hours from Athens.

Jim and Stan you have turned my frown upside down!! I think we will forgo the limo and get on the Oceania bus! On reflection it would have been better to go out a few days early, but DH still works and holiday days are few in number and we need to stretch them as far as possible hence the reason for going with Oceania air. I suppose worst case if there is a delay the next port is only a few hours from Athens.

Good decision! Following Jim and Stan's advice has always been right for us. I do note and confess that Oceania transfers have delayed us with tours that seemed to take forever (departing ship in Istanbul for hotel which took 3 hours to get to the hotel!!) but they do get you to the ship in time. Best wishes for a superb holiday cruise!

Jim and Stan gave you very good advice and I support your taking the transfer from Oceania..good choice..in this case..

Jancruz1

I agree..if you come in the same day as sailing and it could be tight, opt for the cruiseline transfer. If the plane is late they will know it and advise

the ship. Peace of mind is worth the extra money!!

have a great cruise!

Sherry

Greenamber, my suggestion would be to "almost always" use the cruise line transfer if you arrive the same day after 11 am and if you have booked your flight with the cruise line already. There are just too many things that can go wrong with flights especially when you are changing planes etc.

Just one example: My sister in law was on an Oceania cruise last night, flying in from the US. First delay in NYC (flight left 4 hours late and they missed their connection in London. They were supposed to be on the one arriving in Athens at 13:50 (same one you are on, maybe). Next flight "left on time", but sat on the runway for 2 hours...then left for Athens. Now they were supposed to be in Athens at 4:00 and ship left at 5:30. I was in contact with Oceania asking what they could do. Problem on top was that office in the US didn't seem to be aware of the additional time diff added due to daylight savings time etc. Flight actually arrived at 5 pm.

Result was that Oceania Reps were waiting for the last passengers (4 couples on the flight from London) and rushed them and their luggage into taxis with the instruction to "make it". It was a Saturday and traffic was late....but my sister in law claims it was the most harrowing ride ever.

Captain still held the ship for 45 minutes and they made it. Oceania even called me telling me that all was well.

Especially on a port intensive cruise in the med, it would have been a shame if they had missed their first port (Ephesus)...and the ship wouldn't have waited if they didn't have had Oceania Transfers.

If you arrive a day early...no issue, but if time is tight...spend the extra money imho.

Have fun on your trip

That IS a harrowing story.

Which is why we always go in at least a day early, whether using O's air or our own.

But I agree with others, that if you are using O's air, arriving on the day of the cruise (unless maybe you have a 7am arrival and a 10pm departure, which isn't the usual thing) -- pay for the transfer.

Unless we have been to a port many times, we will go in early. But there are times when we might say, "We've seen this city many times, this time we'll just go right to the ship." In that case, the O transfer is a lot cheaper than the cost of a hotel!

And we do know personally of at least one time when the ship left from Costa Rica for the Panama Canal. There were passengers coming in that day who were delayed by bad weather in the northeast, and they couldn't get to the port in Costa Rica in time. But if the ship had waited for them, it would have missed its slot going through the Canal. So we sailed on time without them.

That can happen. Not often, but it's possible.

Mura

Archived