Transatlantics..they have become so boring.

Who agrees that most Royal Caribbean & Celebrity TA have become boring?

Usually you get a couple of european cities followed by a TA or a TA followed by some European cities. Now you get mostly Caribbean islands before or after the crossing. I was wondering why they have changed that. I mean if I want to see some Caribbean island I would take a Caribbean cruise.

On our Westbound TA a few years ago, we stopped in Nassau after the crossing and REALLY liked the stop. After a nice day in port we still enjoyed a few more sea days before we ended in Galveston.

That said, I would prefer more ports in Europe too. Perhaps they are marketing these to European travelers who probably value to Caribbean ports more than we do in the US.

Although we really loved the ports in the 2011 Liberty TA, the ship is the destination and ports secondary. While I love to stop at new ports, this would not stop me from another transatlantic cruise. Although some may see ports they have already been to makes them boring, we find being on a ship is far from boring.

I do agree though, a lot of the appeal on a TA is getting to see European ports.

Our only TA was September 2007 on Celebrity when we did a North Atlantic crossing. It was wonderful. 6 ports in Europe, 3 days at sea for the crossing and then 2 ports in Canada before debarking in Bayonne. Now, that's far from boring!!! I'd do one like that every year if they were available. Unfortunately, both Celebrity and Royal no longer offer the northern route TA now that they keep their ships in Europe 2 months later in the fall. The southern route just has too many sea days in a row for me. I enjoy sea days, but not that much.

I agree with the OP's opinion on this. I had really wanted to do a TA because of the European ports. It seemed as if there used to be three or four, including the Canaries. The ports made a TA seem like quite a bargain.

Now, from what I see, some of the attractive ports have been dropped unless you do a B2B before a westbound TA, so you can get those ports then, but that would involve a long tract of time, not to mention additional cost.

Now I am not so sure I want to do a TA. What ever happened to the former itineraries?

Simple, don't book Caribbean ports-of-call for your European trans-Atlantics.

A few years ago, we booked Celebrity and, the ship stopped in Bermuda for 2 days.

What a great port-of- call.

We also like trans-Atlantics that stop in Funchal, Maderia Island, of Portugal. Funchal is a fantastic port of call.

Also a couple years ago, we had a trans-Atlantic that stopped in Corsica, en-route to Civitavecchia.

If you ever see a port-of-call there be sure to sign up for that trans-Atlantic..

Ajaccio Corsica is not to be missed.. ;)

Our only TA was September 2007 on Celebrity when we did a North Atlantic crossing. It was wonderful. 6 ports in Europe, 3 days at sea for the crossing and then 2 ports in Canada before debarking in Bayonne. Now, that's far from boring!!! I'd do one like that every year if they were available. Unfortunately, both Celebrity and Royal no longer offer the northern route TA now that they keep their ships in Europe 2 months later in the fall. The southern route just has too many sea days in a row for me. I enjoy sea days, but not that much.

I was on a similar northern crossing on Celebrity Constellation in September 2009. RCI still has one ship that does the northern crossing, and the price tag reflects its popularity: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=BR15T034. Unfortunately, RCI dropped the Canadian port stops.

We enjoy Transatlantics and the sea days. However...

Transatlantics are not a profitable run. They typically do not travel at really full capacity (i.e. kids in all the pull down beds). The age group trends older, which means less drinking. The passengers tend to have cruised before as well as visited the ports before. Last year, on an RCI TA, stopping in St. Maarten, with two RCI ships in port, both nominally full (ours had 3,000 passengers and only 6 children 12 and under), RCI ran just 6 tours (out of 50 advertised possibilities) for the two ships. Our first several choices (helmet diving, for example), just could not scare up enough interest.

We enjoyed our TA out of Harwich, aboard Jewel of the Seas. 2 ports in France, 2 ports in Ireland and one stop in Iceland. I believe Brilliance is doing that route now. Check it out when the new schedules come out.

It was cool and cold during the trip, but we had a great time.

Simple, don't book Caribbean ports-of-call for your European trans-Atlantics.

A few years ago, we booked Celebrity and, the ship stopped in Bermuda for 2 days.

What a great port-of- call.

We also like trans-Atlantics that stop in Funchal, Maderia Island, of Portugal. Funchal is a fantastic port of call.

Also a couple years ago, we had a trans-Atlantic that stopped in Corsica, en-route to Civitavecchia.

If you ever see a port-of-call there be sure to sign up for that trans-Atlantic..

Agree that Funchal is one of the best ports ever. Have never been on a TA that went there, though.

We had two stops in France last year that were great on Jewel of the Seas spring TA.

Stopping in the Azores is getting really old. Have done that on all three TAs we've been on and there isn't that much to see.

Agree - really like the WB itinerary from England for this fall on Princess. We were lucky to do the EB Liberty itinerary last spring and it was a great cruise - Nassau, Canary Islands, 3 ports in Spain, ending in Barcelona.

Who agrees that most Royal Caribbean & Celebrity TA have become boring?

Usually you get a couple of european cities followed by a TA or a TA followed by some European cities. Now you get mostly Caribbean islands before or after the crossing. I was wondering why they have changed that. I mean if I want to see some Caribbean island I would take a Caribbean cruise.

We are 2 mid 40 year old guys and we do them for the rest and relaxation. It's very rare we get off the ship so we love the 'dumbed down' transatlantics.

They're our favourite type of cruise :-)

I was looking at one of those several years ago because I would love to do a TA but cannot stand the idea of 4 - 6 consecutive sea days. The one I saw had stops in either Iceland or Greenland - areas we would not normally consider visiting.

I loved Funchal when we stopped there on our TA a few years ago.

I agree that their recent itineraries arent attractive (to me), but I think its because they are trying to target a different demograpic. People may want to do a TA but would prefer to visit non-European ports.

Royal no longer offer the northern route TA

Well, maybe not Iceland etc but the 4/17 Vision TA leaves Ft Lauderdale then stops at the Azores, Ireland, France, Belgium, Amsterdam, Oslo then ends at Copenhagen.

Not too shabby :) (There's still space)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=VI17T007&date=201303

Brilliance has a westbound northern TA in late August/Sept but it's very pricy.

I want to go public and state that one day I hope to be able to echo the OP's statement.

I've not cruised a TA in modern times though have several under my belt as a child (many many years ago) when we took various trips over to New York (and back) to visit family as my mother refused to fly. I have a vague recollection of stopping at Cobh..... otherwise no other stops..... I have nothing but fond memories of those trips and look forward to enjoying a TA (or 2) in the future.

I was looking at one of those several years ago because I would love to do a TA but cannot stand the idea of 4 - 6 consecutive sea days. The one I saw had stops in either Iceland or Greenland - areas we would not normally consider visiting.

We recently did a TA on HAL. It had ports in Amsterdam, Dublin, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, before ending in New York.

We love sea days, too.

Our cruise was anything but boring!

The cruise in my signature is a North Pacific repositioning cruise, also with an interesting itinerary.

We've been on several TAs, and we pick them for the itinerary. Twice we have added the last cruise before the TA, or the first after the TA for a b2b. Caribbean cruise before the TA, or European cruise after it. Since the prices are usually low for the TA, it's a great way to get a long vacation.

Last year we basically used our TA to get us over to Europe for hubby's car show in the UK. This is the second time we've done this, so adding a land trip after the (eastern) TA works great for us.

You can find them going to the west coast of Europe or into the Mediterranean. Once we did the last Med cruise, and then stayed on for the TA.

We always shop RCCL and Celebrity to get a mix of itineraries.

Brilliance will do the northern route this fall. No Shetland Islands, though, which was my favorite stop last fall.

We enjoyed our TA out of Harwich, aboard Jewel of the Seas. 2 ports in France, 2 ports in Ireland and one stop in Iceland. I believe Brilliance is doing that route now. Check it out when the new schedules come out.

It was cool and cold during the trip, but we had a great time.

Not only France, Ireland, the UK, and Iceland (overnight in Reykjavic) but last year (and this year as well) the Faroe Islands were added to the itinerary and it proved to be a hidden treasure. Nothing boring or stale about this TA that the Jewel has been doing for several years and that the Brilliance will be doing this year. It pretty much sells out soon after the books open so it is obviously quite popular. We even had some excitement entering the Faroes and had a medical evacuation as we neared Nova Scotia on our way to Boston. In addition the five 25 hour days make the time change effortless.

We did the 16-night TA on the Jewel this year and it was our best cruise yet (we are in our early 40's).

With stops in France, England, Ireland, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland, we felt like we got a great taste of Europe and Nordic countries.

I was afraid that I would be bored with the 4 (turned into 5 with a storm) consecutive sea days at the end but I had a great time on the ship- they had a wide variety of activities and it was nice to have a chance to relax in the thermal suite, the lounges, and even on deck (the last few days were quite warm) after so many adventures in port. We had MTD but got to know all the regulars around us and we also got to spend lots of quality time with CC friends.

I think the right TA's are out there, you just have to look for them! That being said, I think I would enjoy a TA with a few leisurely Caribbean stops!!!

Cheers,

Royal no longer offer the northern route TA

Well, maybe not Iceland etc but the 4/17 Vision TA leaves Ft Lauderdale then stops at the Azores, Ireland, France, Belgium, Amsterdam, Oslo then ends at Copenhagen.

Not too shabby :) (There's still space)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=VI17T007&date=201303

Brilliance has a westbound northern TA in late August/Sept but it's very pricy.

Someday when I have plenty of time, this looks great.

I, for one, am looking forward to the TAs with Caribbean ports. I can spend a day at the beach on St. Maarten/Thomas/Kitts etc. limitless times, just as we go to the same SC beach every year.

Barcelona, and similar Spanish ports, on the other hand, I'm just worn out of. Had enough of Las Ramblas for awhile.

However, put me on an RC ship for two weeks at a great price, and the ports aren't super important - a TA is still one of the great bargains in travel.

Archived