14 day Caribbean cruise

scott mencer

Can someone tell me why Princess doesn't do a true 14 day Caribbean cruise, meaning you leave port and return 14 days later? Is my family the only one who misses these cruises? We have been using Celebrity and enjoy them but would really like to see Princess go back to a true 14 day Caribbean cruise.

Can someone tell me why Princess doesn't do a true 14 day Caribbean cruise, meaning you leave port and return 14 days later? Is my family the only one who misses these cruises? We have been using Celebrity and enjoy them but would really like to see Princess go back to a true 14 day Caribbean cruise.

We too miss the true 14 day Caribbean Cruises. But at least we still can do B2B'ers. It would be a real bummer if Princess didn’t alternate the routes from week to week that a ship sails.

Demand. Most people who cruise the Caribbean are looking for a getaway for a week (plus one day as you should always get to the port the day before unless you're driving) and many have limited budgets and vacation time. Generally, people who can take a 2-week cruise look for more interesting itineraries.

Obviously, there are exceptions to these generalities but as I always say, "Follow the money." Princess can make more selling 7-day cruises than a 14-day cruise. The reason is that they can fill a ship for a 7-day cruise pretty easily but for a 14-day cruise, they sometimes have to drop the price and thus their profit. The demand for a 14-day cruise or series of cruises just isn't there.

Interestingly, on my Crown cruise in February, I met two people (not related) who had booked the SAME cruise 5-6 times. In other words, they're staying on the ship and doing the exact same itinerary over and over again, staying onboard for over a month. "Interesting" to say the least.

Princess has spent the past few years appealing to new cruisers (younger individuals, more families). Most of these individuals can only take vacations in 7 day segments at a time. This is very common amongst people in the US. Most individuals in the US don't have the same vacation time as those in the UK.

Those who are retired, often flock to more exotic locations or can take multiple 7 day cruises and it doesn't affect them as much to return to FLL after 7 nights. There probably is not enough individuals to take true 14 day cruises to the Caribbean as Princess had to heavily discount these cruises to fill them and eventually discontinued them.

Hi There

Appears to be lack of demand from US customer base for 14 day cruises.

yours Shogun

Our vacation time is definitely different than those in the UK and the rest of Europe. Most in US receive 14 days total. Europeans is often double that.

Hi Coral,

Not just double DW on around 7 weeks a years,

EU law gives employees a lot of holiday rights

yours Shogun

It is sort of ironic how it works - in the US, we don't get the vacation time but get discounts on cruises.

Those of you in the UK get a lot of vacation but no discounts on cruises.

The ideal combination would be discounts on cruises and a lot of vacation time to take them :)

I can only dream of 7 weeks!

Hi Coral

We did our first 7 day cruise last year, for us just to short,

even 14 to Caribbean is expensive with flights, much prefer 21 and 24 cruises, that way you feel you have had a break from work.

yours Shogun

It is sort of ironic how it works - in the US, we don't get the vacation time but get discounts on cruises.

Those of you in the UK get a lot of vacation but no discounts on cruises.

The ideal combination would be discounts on cruises and a lot of vacation time to take them :)

I can only dream of 7 weeks!

I guess thats me, live and work in the UK, but book all my cruises in the USA

We did 14 days over Xmas around the Caribbean, true it was 2 cruises (not that Princess saw it that way with regards to cruises sailed) in the way that we visited Fort Lauderdale and Princess Cays twice but it suited us well.

I get 30 days a year holiday being from the UK, 8 of those are bank holidays which helped as I meant I only needed to take 7 over Xmas. Do you Yanks have Boxing day as a holiday?

You need to open an Ice Cream shop like I do to have winters off. We miss Princess. We did meet a couple on our last cruise that had been on the ship since right before Christmas and they where booked on the same Celebrity ship thru the 3rd week of February, now that's the life.

We too miss the 14 day Caribbean cruises. Losing time going back to Ft. Lauderdale means going to fewer ports. So, now we take the 10 day cruises.

We miss the true 14 day cruises also , we have done it twice in the past, one was when princess was boarding passangers in Barbados (mostly from the UK) and Ft. Lauderdale , so we had new passangers in both ports, loved the itenirary.

We have done the 10 day cruises out of FL only done that once, we liked it but prefer 14 days or more. Like Hawaii out of LA , or Panama Canal full transit.

Cori

We did 14 days over Xmas around the Caribbean, true it was 2 cruises (not that Princess saw it that way with regards to cruises sailed)

Actually (at least here in the colonies), Princess will count that as two cruises, but you need to ask for that. Contact the Captain's Circle rep at Princess to get the 2nd cruise credit you deserve.

Archived