North Shore Shrimp Truck Suggestions?

tiggrbaby

We plan on driving up to see the North Shore the evening before our POA and was thinking of stopping at a shrimp truck for dinner. I am interested in suggestions as what people have enjoyed and how much it might cost.

Thanks!

I always go to Giovanni's in Kahuku (or original is in Haleiwa). About $15.00 for a lot of shrimp. Garlic, butter, or hot are the only choices. I wouldn't do this at night. The drive home would be long, dark, and not as safe as during the day when you can see better. About 90 minutes from town.

Renee (displaced local girl)

We did a Shrimp truck tour each for the past few years and with advise from long time locals too.

My favorite is Fumis Kahuku Shrimp

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oahu/dining/fumis-kahuku-shrimp-truck.htm

2nd place Romy's

http://romyskahukuprawns.org/

Giovanni's is my least favorite.

It is fun to get a plate and share it so you can try another place too.

Now the Kuhuku corn at the location where Gionvanni's is was great and the shave ice too!!!!

grab a plate head to Sunset beach to watch the surfers and sunsets!

We went to Giovanni's and enjoyed it. We also got a big piece of fresh pineapple from another truck at that location. It was more like an event. There were other food trucks there, craft vendors, etc. There are many recommended on TA and in "Oahu Revealed". We will probably try another truck next time to compare.:)

If you have a rental car, try finding Camille on Wheels. She was on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with Guy F and the food looked amazing. She's in a different spot everyday so you have to like her page on FB in order to get the update on where she is each day. Completely unique experience we can't wait!!

We really, really wanted to eat from a shrimp truck on the North Shore when we were there last month. We found one area where there were several the picnic tables were wet. And, I hate to say it, but the one place that had fried shrimp, which is what we wanted, looked pretty grungy, and we are not particularly picky people.

The good news is that we had awesome coconut shrimp at a diner type place on Kaui--$14. Maybe called the Shrimp Shack--along the road to Waimea.

The ironic--they had very good fried shrimp in the Horizon Court buffet that very night! We seldom eat fried shrimp, in fact it had been since September, and then we have it twice in one day!

We have enjoyed the garlic butter shrimp at Giovanni's a couple of times. Last couple of times we took the ship's North Shore excursion that included lunch at Fumi's. I had the garlic shrimp and DH had the coconut fried shrimp. Both were delicious. Lunch also included a shave ice. The shrimp plates were $12.99 as I recall, but they were included in the price of the tour. Our guide pased around a brochure on the bus that had pictures of each kind of plate, we chose one by number and he called the orders in so that the food was ready for us when we arrived at Fumi's. Yummy! If you don't care for shrimp they had a couple of other choices. I know one was a hamburger! A soda was also included on our tour.

We did enjoy the shrimp at the trucks. My only concern were the flies! There were so many and it really detracted from the experience. I am wondering if it was a problem for anyone else? Perhaps just when we were there or if is was from the fresh pineapple juice that was over everything at our table? Since we hope to be staying at a vacation rental near the trucks pre-cruise I think we may just pick it up and take it with us if I see a lot of flies again.

Archived