passport needed?

I have heard some conflicting information about need for passports in Canadian ports? I understand many people feel strongly about the benefits to having a passport vs id and birth certificate, but my question is do I NEED a passport to access the ports in Canada. It is a closed loop cruise. Also if I have to expedite a passport for myself, do my children (under 12) NEED a passport if accompanied by a parent?

thanks for any information!

A US citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada on a closed loop cruise. The only issue would be if for some unexpected reason you missed your ship or had to fly or drive home from Canada then you would require a passport to re-enter the US.

I have heard some conflicting information about need for passports in Canadian ports? I understand many people feel strongly about the benefits to having a passport vs id and birth certificate, but my question is do I NEED a passport to access the ports in Canada. It is a closed loop cruise. Also if I have to expedite a passport for myself, do my children (under 12) NEED a passport if accompanied by a parent?

thanks for any information!

More info. needed. Are you talking about a cruise beginning or ending in Canada or a cruise Starting and ending in the USA with stops in canada along the way.? Alaska or new England/ maritime provinces?

Thanks for the link. I don't and have never had a travel agent. i have booked all my trips/airline tickets myself online. So far it has worked out. I don't always know the answers but i usually can find them and I don't have to pay myself.:)

I have a TA and he gets me better prices than I can possibly do myself for the cruise (book my own air). AND he has answers to all these kinds of questions.

More info. needed. Are you talking about a cruise beginning or ending in Canada or a cruise Starting and ending in the USA with stops in canada along the way.? Alaska or new England/ maritime provinces?

I know we would need one to even drive into canada-or fly. We will start and end in Boston. We have stops in Halifax and St John.

thanks

www.getyouhome.gov has the details on what your options are.

A passport book ($135) provides the maximum flexibility b/c you can fly back to the US by air in an emergency.

A passport card ($55) provides some flexibility b/c you can drive back to the US by car or bus in an emergency.

A driver's license and birth certificate will get you on the ship and off to visit Canadian ports.

Children under age 16 can use just their birth certificate to get the same benefits as the passport card.

Birth certificates must be issued by a US government authority.

Also check with your cruise line - a few impose requirements over and above these.

I know we would need one to even drive into canada

It is true that adults can't use a birth certificate to drive back to the US from Canada, however, a passport book is not the only option.

You can also use a passport card or enhanced driver's license, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

• 2 weeks later...
It is true that adults can't use a birth certificate to drive back to the US from Canada, however, a passport book is not the only option.

You can also use a passport card or enhanced driver's license, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

dwjoe is correct. DH and I have Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL's), which are available to residents of some states that border Canada, such as our home state, New York. DH has driven to Canada and back with the EDL. His son had a birth certificate. Neither one had a passport at the time, which was two years ago.

I know we would need one to even drive into canada-or fly. We will start and end in Boston. We have stops in Halifax and St John.

thanks

This is actually a US requirement, not a Canadian one. On a closed loop cruise, The USA does not require you to have a passport on re-entry, hence Canada doesn't need it on entry.

To enter Canada from the USA in you have always needed three things:

1. government issued photo ID
  2. proof of citizenship
  3. correct paperwork to return to the USA

The reason you need a passport for all other trips to Canada is #3 above (ie the US requires it to come home)

Even if you don't have a passport, you can return home by land (i.e., car). CBP/ICE won't be happy about it and may/will give you a hard time but they can't not admit you if you are a U.S. citizen (and can prove such). A bus, train or airline company won't let you go as they'll be responsible for you.

Archived