Fire on the Getaway.

peg013

Fire on Ship Newbuilding

back to overview Posted Mar 05,2013

Information on current situation at MEYER WERFT

Papenburg, 5 March 2013 - Today a fire leading to significant smoke formation broke out on a ship newbuilding in the covered building dock II. At present the shipyard’s fire brigade and members of the Papenburg fire department are still in operation on the yard premises.

The affected production areas and the shipyard’s visitors centre were evacuated.

As of now there are no detailed indications as the reason for the fire. “In general we install large-size safety and detection systems on our ships as early as in the construction period. Hence we could react very quickly,” explained the yard’s safety manager, Markus Wähler.

As it stands at present nobody was injured. In the current situation nothing can be said in regard to material damage. Completion of the newbuilding in 2014 is not at risk according to information currently available.

Ship’s data

Name: Norwegian Getaway, cruise ship Length/ breadth: 324 m/39.70 mCrew: 1,600 personsPassengers: max. 3,969Cabins: 2014Decks: 18Delivery: 2014

The fire is out and with luck the damage will only be minor. The smoke inside the building dock will have made it all look far more spectaular than it it really was.

We will have to wait for more details though.

Oh no.....***??!:eek: I see they are quick to say it by no means changing the finish date:cool:. lol

I guess I could look at it on a positive note....better now then later. Thankful everyone is accounted for and is okay.:)

I think Epic had several fires during it's build, the last one which Mike mentioned was pretty serious. Epic also blew an engine during sea trials which was unrepairable and have to be cut out of the ship.

That Epic engine blew long before the sea trials

The other Epic fire was a dumpster fire right next to the ship. It didn't cause any damage to the ship but could easily have caused a big problem if not caught quickly. This was right in the middle of a labor dispute at the French shipyard. That ship could not get out of France fast enough for me.

Fires,........their not just for Carnival anymore. :rolleyes:

They have never been just carnival. Carnival just happens to have had the two most media covered in the past few years. When the allure had his in August he was able to crawl back home.

They have never been just carnival. Carnival just happens to have had the two most media covered in the past few years. When the allure had his in August he was able to crawl back home.

Ugghh...it was a joke. I am officially done with posting. Everyone takes comments personal and feels the need to stay up past their bedtime & defend the 36 words they posted online.

Ugghh...it was a joke. I am officially done with posting. Everyone takes comments personal and feels the need to stay up past their bedtime & defend the 36 words they posted online.

Still at work ;)

And it wasn't personal, I enjoy all lines for the different experience they offer.

Archived