Help selecting hotels in Oahu and Maui

ride4806

Have searched the boards with little help so I am hoping that some folks here will help me by sharing the pros and/and or cons of either of these hotels. We will be staying four days pre cruise on Honolulu and I have narrowed it down to either the Hilton Hawaiian Village Rainbow Tower or the Outrigger Waikiki. I wonder if anyone has stayed in either and could share some best room tips. I have seen where the higher the floor the better the view is what to ask for -but is there anywhere you can see both the ocean and Diamond Head? I also am wondering if either of these places offers Transfers from the airport-I know I can get Roberts to pick us up but had hoped maybe to save a few bucks :D We also will be flying to Maui post cruise for three days and I am trying to decide where to stay there-I am thinking maybe somewhere on Lahaina because I want to get to OLL and explore that side of the island but I am open to any ideas . Thanks for your help with this folks!!

Not knowing what you plan to spend to stay in West Maui it's difficult to make a suggestion. Condos are generally less expensive & you could eat some meals there which could save money. I've enjoyed stays at Hale Mahina and Papakea but don't think you'll go wrong anywhere on Maui.

I stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (it's an older Hawaiian Style hotel), but you can't beat it for price, location, and ambiance. Go to trip advisor and see the reviews. It's close to Whaler's Village where you can catch a trolley ($2.00) to Lahaina. We had a rental car (and they do charge $9 a day for parking). Truly awesome!

I think I'd do Outrigger Waikiki on Oahu. Hilton Hawaiian Village is just tooooo big for my taste.

I am with agabbymama ... The Kaanapali Beach Hotel is your best bang for the buck on Maui. Plus it has an excellent location for beach...a very short walk to Black Rock for great snorkeling, and usually a turtle or two in for a meal and rest on shore.

As for Waikiki...I am not a fan of the Hilton area...it is really nice, but just not for me...the Outrigger is a good choice. It is very well located in Waikiki, and access to lots just out the front door. Plus Dukes is in the place.

Chuck

I agree with the others as far as Kaanapali Beach goes. Loved my stay there. I am, however, a big fan of the Hilton. Stayed there several times with another stay planned for November. Like the location and their beach. Never stayed in the Rainbow Towers . . stayed in Tapas, Diamond Head and Ali Towers.

Maryann

While in Maui, we visited friends staying at the Royal Lahaina Resort on Kaanapali Beach and it was very nice with tower rooms offering a balcony with ocean view. I thought it was a gorgeous resort and I'd consider staying there in the future!!!

Personally, I prefer the Outrigger Waikiki over the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I prefer being more in the middle of things Waikiki rather than down on the outskirts at the Hilton. That being said, the Hilton is a beautiful hotel and I would never turn down a chance to stay there. It would just not be my first choice.

I am sure there are many rooms at both properties that would have the view of both the ocean and Diamond Head. Actually, I don't think it would be possible to have a view of Diamond Head without having a view of the ocean. Either of these hotels would be a great choice.

I stayed at the HHV in late October/early November (got a really good friends rate). I was in Tapa Tower, which hasn't yet been renovated. It was a little tired. The Rainbow Tower was just renovated and they are now working on the Alii tower. The Rainbow rooms are supposed to be very nice now. Even from the back Tapa Tower, I could see the ocean and down the beach (I was on a high floor).

I didn't mind the walk from HHV. I walked down the beach every evening from HHV to the Outrigger for Happy Hour at Duke's. I'd walk over to Kuhio for dinner at Marukame Noodle House (Fantastic udon, tempura, musubi and CHEAP), then back to the hotel via Kalakaua Ave so I could watch all the tourists lined up at Cheesecake Factory and other chain places, and observe the nightly freak show.. Halloween night was especially fun!

We have stayed at the Hyatt the last two trips to Oahu. By joining their priority club, we received one free night stay after three nights and also the big free breakfast buffet daily. It was worth it!!

It is it's own city with shops, starbucks and more.

The only drawback is the pool is the size of um well lets just say very small.

But at least the ocean is close across the street.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Sea Ya

Archived