Public buses

GailnBrad

We've gone to the caves by bus before, but not on a cruise stop, so we weren't too concerned about time. If you decide to go by bus, be sure to leave yourself at least an hour each way, to be safe. You may also have to wait for a bus, so allow for that time as well. Once you get to the caves, you may have to wait for the next tour, but they sell beer at the gift shop so that helps :)

When in Barbados, we take the bus everywhere - it's totally safe. It's cheap entertainment and a great way to meet the locals... If you have the time, I'd recommend it.

To catch a bus to the caves, you have to walk from port to the Princess Alice Terminal, which is only a couple of blocks south of the roundabout at the South Port Gates. The bus terminal is directly south of Pelican Village. From the cruise terminal building, I'd say this is less than 15 minutes on foot.

Once you get there, just ask one of the drivers which bus takes you to the caves. I remember that the bus we took stopped along Hwy. 2 a few blocks short of the caves and we had to walk for about 10-15 minutes.

In that area, it's a mix of acreages and suburbs, so traffic is light. It's an easy walk from the bus stop to the caves. Allow 2-3 hours at the caves.

When in doubt, ask a bus driver or a local. they are more than willing to help.

When we did this, we got to the caves somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00 and were back in Bridgetown by 1:00 p.m.

Take the bus up there and if you run short on time, catch a cab back to port.

Cheers, P:)

• 5 weeks later...
Would you recommend taking a public bus from the cruise ship out to Harrisons Cave? Is it safe? Will buses be there for the return trip? It would be so much cheaper than a cab. Thank you

Aimodels pretty much summed it up for you. The blue buses which are state-owned go directly to the caves so you can get one on the way back. If you happen to see a yellow bus which are privately owned you can also board it to the city. Both terminals are very close in the city.

If you think you are running out of time you can take a cab back to the port

I too would take a taxi and not the bus. Just my opinion.

Keith

Buses run regularly and reliably along the two main coastal routes

* along our West Coast, going Northward to Speightstown

* along our South Coast, running Eastward out to Oistins and beyond.

Other routes? ...not so much! ;)

Harrison's Caves are, to be kinda frank, out in the middle of nowhere

in the very center of the island mass

and I rather doubt that there is a bus service running directly to the Cave complex itself!

Oh sure it may drop you off at the ENTRANCE ROAD to the Cave complex

but then you get to walk at least a half mile in to the Caves

..not quite knowing just where you're going (in the middle of nowhere..)

- but it's your short 6-8 hrs. ashore

and this is a free world ..so you can spend your time how you like!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived