Sun Sewage Problems?

We just heard from a friend that they had a terrible time on the Sun as there had been a sewage problem and the smell was awful. Has anyone been on the Sun recently? Was there a problem? We are booked for the March 20 Southern Caribbean and I am very sensitive to bad smells...:(:confused:

We just heard from a friend that they had a terrible time on the Sun as there had been a sewage problem and the smell was awful. Has anyone been on the Sun recently? Was there a problem? We are booked for the March 20 Southern Caribbean and I am very sensitive to bad smells...:(:confused:

You don't say how long ago this happened but here's a review from someone who was on the Sun a couple of weeks ago. No mention of sewage problems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802186

Sometime's in little bigger wave's because they use a standard 90% elbow for the pee trap, with the motion, they will drain. This can happen on any ship, thus, a smell. :eek: A temporiary solution is to run the shower for a few minutes. Smell will go away. ;)

Yes, we did notice it on the Sun, as well as the Dawn.

Hope this help's somewhat.

To they would have to put a long radius, 90% elbow,in the system, which would hold more water.

No problems in Jan.

As a previous poster wrote, run the shower you want to flush the drain. ALSO there is a drain (in the balcony cabins) that is right under the bathroom door where you walk in. Pour a glass or two of water in that drain as well, it helps.

Its not really a case of the sewers backing up at all, it also depends on how much roll the ship is experiencing. If you have fairly calm seas it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I was on the Sun for the Halloween'12 sailing in cabin 9263. This was a mid-aft cabin. The sewage smell was horrible! Not only did I smell it 50% of the cruise inside my cabin, the rear staircase/elevator banks smelled most of the time. (There were other problems as well, broken shower, broken thermostat, dirty balcony) Due to this, I will not sail on the Sun again.

My husband is not as sensitive to odors and didn't notice it as much as I did.

If you are on a future sailing, I would make sure my cabin is more forward than aft, just a suggestion.

ALSO there is a drain (in the balcony cabins) that is right under the bathroom door where you walk in. Pour a glass or two of water in that drain as well, it helps.

This is what we do too.

The small bathroom in our 2 bedroom family suite on the Star had a heavy sewer smell when we first arrived in the cabin. A couple glasses of water down the floor drain and problem solved.

It's not only the rolling of the ship that can empty the trap, the constant dry air from the AC will dry it out eventually as well (assuming the room steward hasn't sloshed around his mop for a while and gotten water down the floor drains.)

I was on the Sun for the Halloween'12 sailing in cabin 9263. This was a mid-aft cabin. The sewage smell was horrible! Not only did I smell it 50% of the cruise inside my cabin, the rear staircase/elevator banks smelled most of the time. (There were other problems as well, broken shower, broken thermostat, dirty balcony) Due to this, I will not sail on the Sun again.

My husband is not as sensitive to odors and didn't notice it as much as I did.

If you are on a future sailing, I would make sure my cabin is more forward than aft, just a suggestion.

We were on this same cruise (Hi Elizabeth!). No smell on the 8th floor midship where we stayed, but my wife confirmed what Elizabeth reported.

Maybe not related, but at least 3 or 4 times on this cruise our toilet stopped flushing. We would try later in the day and in all cases it started working again. Not a big deal, and overall we enjoyed the cruise and the Sun.

Thats one of the first things I do < on any ship . Pour some water down "all" visible drains in the bathroom floor. ;)

Not to worry about the Sun ..

The things you learn on Cruise Critic! I've occasionally had a faint whiff on just about every ship I've sailed, but just chalked it up to "that cruise ship smell". Now I know what to do when I have "that cruise ship smell" in my cabin. Thanks!

The things you learn on Cruise Critic! I've occasionally had a faint whiff on just about every ship I've sailed, but just chalked it up to "that cruise ship smell". Now I know what to do when I have "that cruise ship smell" in my cabin. Thanks!

Me too! Learn something new everyday thanks to Cruise Critic!

When we were on in 2010 on 10 aft, we noticed it the first day when boarding. It was roughly from about half the distance from the aft staircase to the back. Strong enough to smell and more than you usually get in your bathroom. Our room didn't really have too much smell.

Then when we went down to muster, it was on 6 IIRC, and was outside. The smell was prevalent there as well and lasted the whole muster time.

Once we got underway, it went away on our floor. We only had the usual minor whiff in the bathroom after that.

Archived