La Reserve

Karen Lynn

I think it was Jim&Stan who first mentioned the price differential (I could be wrong on that!) but whoever mentioned it DID say that the difference was in the wines.

We had already had the Exploration Menu on our first Marina cruise in Oct '11 (it was marvelous) so I was comparing the two other menus, and opted for the more expensive one -- comparing the foods more than the wines, because while I seem to prefer expensive wines (!) I'm far from an expert. We may switch to the Discovery menu later on, but for now we'll do the Connoisseur.

Whichever menu you choose, the meal will be delicious.

Mura

I think it was Jim&Stan who first mentioned the price differential (I could be wrong on that!) but whoever mentioned it DID say that the difference was in the wines.

We had already had the Exploration Menu on our first Marina cruise in Oct '11 (it was marvelous) so I was comparing the two other menus, and opted for the more expensive one -- comparing the foods more than the wines, because while I seem to prefer expensive wines (!) I'm far from an expert. We may switch to the Discovery menu later on, but for now we'll do the Connoisseur.

Mura

I'm glad you mentioned that La Reserve had changed policy and is open more often. I found an old thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1724137) where Jancruz confirmed this with Oceania and that only three dates are open for reservations pre-boarding. We loved the Exploration menu, and that's the one I'd book again (since the wine is pretty much lost on me). So, I'll wait until we're on board and see what other night it's offered. (They only offer it on a port day now.)

Thanks for your help, Mura.

Mura

Looking at the menus currently on the site it appears at least part of the price differential is in the food itself.

Eg: Caviar + sea urchin cost more than either lobster or bay scallops (or kobe beef costs more than no specificity short ribs/chauteabriand) and it appears to work that way for each course.

Looking at the menus currently on the site it appears at least part of the price differential is in the food itself.

Eg: Caviar + sea urchin cost more than either lobster or bay scallops (or kobe beef costs more than no specificity short ribs/chauteabriand) and it appears to work that way for each course.

Yes, but we are trying convey that La Reserve is primarily a wine experience. The food is quite good, but each course has obviously been chosen specifically because it pairs perfectly with a particular wine.

Using the "Progression of Wines" as a focus is a refreshing change actually, because even in the very best restaurants ashore, the wine pairings are chosen as complements to the food and the relationship of the wines to each other is seldom considered this carefully.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the start time of the meals at La Reserve, is it 7:30 p.m. for Explorer and Discovery and 7:00 p.m. for Connoisseur (each with pre-meal sparkling and appetizers if arrive 30 minutes before)?

Also, is it correct that all the dishes are served at the same time for the entire seating (across however many tables there are) regardless of speed of completion of dish by table?

If this is the case, then can anyone confirm around when the meals are complete for each of the menus, before 10:30 p.m., around 10:30 p.m., well past 10:30 p.m.?

If there are additional seatings offered once on board, are they at the same time as well?

Mura, do you happen to know why the Connoisseur menu is so much more? I've looked at all three menus, and each one has its pluses. Is it the wine they serve with the courses? I'm not a drinker, so it's hard to know. Yes, I did partake of dinner in La Reserve on our last O cruise, and I loved it. But, I have no clue when talking wines. (I know, not exactly your typical patron at L.R.)

Besides the price differential between the wines the food itself costs more. Caviar and Kobe beef are the top dollar fetchers in their fields.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the start time of the meals at La Reserve, is it 7:30 p.m. for Explorer and Discovery and 7:00 p.m. for Connoisseur (each with pre-meal sparkling and appetizers if arrive 30 minutes before)?

Also, is it correct that all the dishes are served at the same time for the entire seating (across however many tables there are) regardless of speed of completion of dish by table?

If this is the case, then can anyone confirm around when the meals are complete for each of the menus, before 10:30 p.m., around 10:30 p.m., well past 10:30 p.m.?

If there are additional seatings offered once on board, are they at the same time as well?

For the Connoisseur menu we were out shortly after the deck party started (can't recall the time - though it wasn't too late) but there were only 6 of us. For the Discovery menu there were multiple full tables and I recall leaving around 2330.

For the Connoisseur menu we were out shortly after the deck party started (can't recall the time - though it wasn't too late) but there were only 6 of us. For the Discovery menu there were multiple full tables and I recall leaving around 2330.

The room only holds 24 people

Jancruz1

our meals were at 7pm with amuse bouche and champagne beforehand around 6:30 - 6:45pm. We ended around 10-10:30pm with extra pours of wine as long as it was requested. The 3 tables were served at the same time with each wine explained for each course as it was served. Excellent evening

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Discovery menu on our one sea day for our cruise, and absolutely loved it. The downside was we were in VERY rough seas that night so that, coupled with a crazy amount of wine led to a few stumbles in the corridors on the way back to our staterooms around 10:45pm :)

The food is very good, and the wine does pair very well with each dish. Service, like always, is A+ here. We loved that they kept pouring and pouring these somewhat exotic wines we would never try on our own.

Certainly get there about 1/2 hour before for the champagne "meet and greet." You can figure out who you want to sit with (3 tables of 8). And note that at the beginning the conversation is rather muted and calm. About 2 hours in (and many glasses of wine) note that it's a very fun and lively (loud) group. Wonder why? :D It was a fantastic evening and we will be booking two nights there on our cruise next year. Enjoy!

Just went onto our crusie booking, and made La Reserve reservations for our Feb 2014 cruise, for the Exploration menu. Took this menu because it was offered on a sea day.

That's interesting. Our Dec 2nd cruise is still not showing La Reserve as available. I called Oceania yesterday and after the reservation agent checked with someone else, she came back on and said they were in the process of loading it onto the site. Still not available yet. Makes me wonder if they forgot to do it if you are booking it for next February.

We booked the Exploration menu last March and it was a highlight of the cruise.

Catherine

Jim,

Funny you should ask! I was just asking myself the same thing.

On our first Marina cruise nearly two years ago we did the Exploration Menu and on the Barcelona-Rio cruise in November we are booked for the Connoisseur Menu.

I was just trying to figure out if we want to try the third menu ("Discovery") next May. I suppose we will!

Mura

Archived