What is there to do in Bridgetown?

dyanna72

For something different, you can check out Pelican Village, which is next to the princess Alice Bus Terminal, about 2 or 3 blocks south of the south port gates. Local artists sell their goods here and there's also a place to grab a bit to eat.

I found the shopping in Bridgetown to be OK, but nothing spectacular...

There's some interesting architecture - old churches, the Parliament building, Chamberlain Bridge...

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...
Would strongly recommend you find a tour to take.

Bridgetown has had problems lately: do a tour, trust me ;)

Interesting. We've walked around Bridgetown numerous times in the past - we've visited the restored synagogue and then walked back to port several times. Is this no longer a good idea?

Interesting. We've walked around Bridgetown numerous times in the past

- we've visited the restored synagogue and then walked back to port several times.

Is this no longer a good idea?

As long as you're not wearing snatch-able jewelry,gold chains

you'll be perfectly fine! :)

You can walk around Bridgetown whole day if you like

- just leave that gold chain or bracelet in the safe, on your ship! ;)

Two cruise tourists were robbed and shot there yesterday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2295211/Barbados-shooting-Two-British-tourists-aged-70s-shot-Caribbean-holiday-island.html

I'd be very careful walking around town. I know that things like this happen all over the world...

As long as you're not wearing gold jewelry, you'll be OK!

It's just a few bad apples tryin to spoil our day, that's all.

Crime is opportunistic - don't provide the opportunity! ;)

Better yet, take a tour right from the Port.

Barbados has SO much more to show you than its city area!!

Glad we weren't shot last week when we were there!

Barbados is a beautiful island, and it was our favorite port of call, except perhaps for San Juan. We booked a car and drove to Bathsheba and the east coast, and around the island quite a bit. We never really stopped in Barbados, just drove through. There are tons of things to do on the island.

This is not the cheapest idea, but something a little "off the beaten track" just in case you're interested: There is a Concorde Experience near the airport, where you can walk through a real Concorde, use a flight simulator in the museum, etc. Barbados used to be a very frequent stop for the Concorde. The museum is not cheap ($20 per person, I think) but it sounds quite fun, and isn't too terribly far from Bridgetown.

We won't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. We are totally looking forward to our visit to Barbados (next week!). We may just take a cab to the beach instead of walking through town. And maybe be a little more cognizant of our surroundings. I love aplmac's input- it's great to have an insider! Gently encouraging us to be careful, use common sense and get out and enjoy the beautiful island.

Well, I see that the ships in town today were one from Silver Seas (a pretty upscale line) and one from Carnival. My guess is that perhaps the woman was on Silver Seas, and was wearing some nice jewelry. Yep, no need to stay on the ship just because of an occasional bad incident!

As long as you're not wearing snatch-able jewelry,gold chains

you'll be perfectly fine! :)

You can walk around Bridgetown whole day if you like

- just leave that gold chain or bracelet in the safe, on your ship! ;)

So there's really no change, just another reminder not to be a clueless tourist who assumes paradise isn't the real world.

Well, I see that the ships in town today were one from Silver Seas (a pretty upscale line)

and one from Carnival.

My guess is that perhaps the woman was on Silver Seas, and was wearing some nice jewelry.

Yep, no need to stay on the ship just because of an occasional bad incident!

They were on ADONIA, a British P&O ship.

All you guys need to do is leave your 'Bling' on board. ;)

Other than chain-snatchers (and persistent taxi drivers!)

your brief stay on the island will go smoothly!

So there's really no change, just another reminder

not to be a clueless tourist who assumes paradise isn't the real world.

Thank you for your realism!

All you guys have to do is leave your 'Bling' on board.

Aplmac, your advice that there is so much to see outside of Bridgetown is exactly right. On most islands, the most interesting stuff requires you to leave the port area. You're missing a lot if you insist on staying close to the ship!

I love your use of the word "persistent" :D.

We found a local man here on the boards and we booked a private tour with him. It was 25.00 per person. And he supplied, juice, water, local beer and rum punch. We were with him about 5 hours and saw some wonderful things. His name is Tyrone and he is a blast. His email is Tyrone Griffith <tiatonagi@yahoo.com>.

Here are a couple pics from the tour.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

he brought bananas and I fed the locals!

ry%3D480

the oldest church in Barbados

If you want more, just email me. Address in signature! Tell Tyrone that Pat from the snow sent you! We had so much fun we are still in contact!

:D

Two held for shooting of British tourists

Tue, March 19, 2013 - 7:51 AM

Police have two men in custody for the shooting of two British visitors on Sunday.

The visitors Philip and Ann Prior, 72-years-old and 59-years-old respectively,

were shot in Hincks Street, (Bridgetown) St Michael.

They were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for treatment.

Police public relations officer Inspect David Welch this morning said the tourists were robbed of a hand bag.

Well, I see that the ships in town today were one from Silver Seas (a pretty upscale line) and one from Carnival. My guess is that perhaps the woman was on Silver Seas, and was wearing some nice jewelry. Yep, no need to stay on the ship just because of an occasional bad incident!

It was a P&O ship...another expensive cruiseline! Glad to hear the people are gonna be ok and that it wasnt a carnival ship again!!!

We found a local man here on the boards and we booked a private tour with him. It was 25.00 per person. And he supplied, juice, water, local beer and rum punch. We were with him about 5 hours and saw some wonderful things. His name is Tyrone and he is a blast. His email is Tyrone Griffith <tiatonagi@yahoo.com>.

Here are a couple pics from the tour.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

he brought bananas and I fed the locals!

ry%3D480

the oldest church in Barbados

If you want more, just email me. Address in signature! Tell Tyrone that Pat from the snow sent you! We had so much fun we are still in contact!

:D

I have a quick question:::where did you go on the island and did you have beach time?

I am not the person who found Tyrone, and I don't know where he takes you for only $25 (which is a steal). Here's my two cents, however: We rented a car - difficult due to few road signs and narrow roads - but at least it allowed us a lot of freedom. We drove to the Gun Hill signal station (small admission), then headed up to Bathsheba and the east coast, which is spectacular. We stopped briefly to photograph St. Joseph's Church (not far away from there) and then headed down to Ragged Point to see a lighthouse. We loved Oistens on the south coast and around that area. Miami Beach near Oistens (or maybe we were actually at Dover Beach; not positive) looked beautiful, although we did not stop to sunbathe. The Concorde Experience near the airport is pretty unique (though pricey), although we ran out of time to see it. We went up to the hill near the plantation but other than a nice view, didn't find much to see unless you're visiting St. Nicholas Abbey. Oh, and we saw the windmill up that way - Morgan Lewis, plus some other places. We did not make it to the west coast, or all the way up to the northern most part of the island (Animal Flower Bay etc.) but hear the west coast is much more developed than the east, so we were mainly interested in the east. Of course, there are also the caves (pricey but I hear great) and the wildlife reserve and so much more.

I am not the person who found Tyrone, and I don't know where he takes you for only $25 (which is a steal). Here's my two cents, however: We rented a car - difficult due to few road signs and narrow roads - but at least it allowed us a lot of freedom. We drove to the Gun Hill signal station (small admission), then headed up to Bathsheba and the east coast, which is spectacular. We stopped briefly to photograph St. Joseph's Church (not far away from there) and then headed down to Ragged Point to see a lighthouse. We loved Oistens on the south coast and around that area. Miami Beach near Oistens (or maybe we were actually at Dover Beach; not positive) looked beautiful, although we did not stop to sunbathe. The Concorde Experience near the airport is pretty unique (though pricey), although we ran out of time to see it. We went up to the hill near the plantation but other than a nice view, didn't find much to see unless you're visiting St. Nicholas Abbey. Oh, and we saw the windmill up that way - Morgan Lewis, plus some other places. We did not make it to the west coast, or all the way up to the northern most part of the island (Animal Flower Bay etc.) but hear the west coast is much more developed than the east, so we were mainly interested in the east. Of course, there are also the caves (pricey but I hear great) and the wildlife reserve and so much more.
Sounds like you should come back for 4 or 5 days, stay in a hotel, rent a car for the time

and be nowhere as rushed, in order to see all that stuff without time constraint.

Archived