Effects of partial charters on regular cruisers

scanditaly

I am looking for any opinions and/or experiences on partial charters. There is a tour company, kosherica that has our particular sail date marked for one of their tours. New to NCL and also new to what takes place when large groups are accommodated to the possible exclusion of everyone else.

Please, any news positive or negative would be appreciated.

I am looking for any opinions and/or experiences on partial charters. There is a tour company, kosherica that has our particular sail date marked for one of their tours. New to NCL and also new to what takes place when large groups are accommodated to the possible exclusion of everyone else.

Please, any news positive or negative would be appreciated.

I was on the Gem on January 18th from NYC and while a regular partial charter would probably not be a problem, the Kosherica charter requires the use of one of the dining rooms. So dining times were an issue with one of the main dining rooms closed for certain hours. If that would be an issue for you, I would pick another date if that is possible. While the crew did the best that they could to keep this from affecting the other guests, I would probably not pick a cruise that was a Kosherica cruise again. I love Norwegian but if I had my choice of weeks, I would pick a different date.

There are several reviews in the review section if you want to read some of the stories.

Agree with the above.. Now if it were a type of " group charter " I enjoyed . ( music , wine , art ) Then that would be a plus providing you could partake in some of the lectures ..

But again , I would join no club that would have me as a member :D

I've never been on one, which makes me incredibly unqualified to provide an opinion...which I'll do anyway. :)

Any significantly sized group will impact your trip. Group events can take over venues (lounges, dining rooms, etc.) and keep you from using them when you want. I see very little upside unless you're part of the group. I would change without giving it a second thought. I freestyle for options, and to have them taken away is contrary to why I sail NCL.

anyone have any positive experiences?

Inre: dining room......any specifics?

Specifics... there are two main dining rooms on the Gem...Grand Pacific and Magenta... Magenta (smaller dining room) was closed on Friday evening for dinner from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.. that caused a tremendous line at the Grand Pacific and so many people that there was truly no way to seat them all.

That was the first night of our cruise. However, the rest of the week, the Magenta stayed open until 8:00 pm afterward the Kosherica group had it reserved.

We had two Friday's since it was a 9 day cruise...so the second Friday was a little better because people knew it was coming and made alternate reservations at specialties or adjusted their dining time.

That said, I think that there were many complaints and probably the next time that Kosherica has a charter, it will be handled differently. Although since their way of dining is SO different than ours, it must be tough to accommodate them along with the other 2000 people on the ship.

I would agree having noticed on past sailing certain lounges or bars closed for private functions when sailing with a partial charter. If its possible I would choose a different sailing.

Btw, how does one find out if there is a partial charter on your future cruises?

Britchick...........I just googled Kosherica, and they have a list of upcoming planned cruises for 2013/20014.....if you have a cruise planned, you might want to check this website.

I just returned from the Gem 2/23 sailing, and I heard horror stories about the Kosherica cruise, and how the kids were running wild, while the parents did nothing......doesn't sound very relaxing......:eek:

Britchick...........I just googled Kosherica, and they have a list of upcoming planned cruises for 2013/20014.....if you have a cruise planned, you might want to check this website.

I just returned from the Gem 2/23 sailing, and I heard horror stories about the Kosherica cruise, and how the kids were running wild, while the parents did nothing......doesn't sound very relaxing......:eek:

It wasn't the Kosherica charter people that were the problem in that regard. Without beating a dead horse and insulting people.. it was another "group" of people... that had a school vacation from NYC that week. The Kosherica Group was a minor annoyance compared to those rude people... I don't think they were an organized group.. just that it was a school vacation and about 1000 people decided to cruise... I will be googling the date of that vacation from now on.

I would pick a different date if you could. The Kosherica group was on our Alaska cruise back in 2011 and they were all horrible. The kids were crazy, the adults were rude and entitled, and they shut down places on the ship just for them.

Specifics... there are two main dining rooms on the Gem...Grand Pacific and Magenta... Magenta (smaller dining room) was closed on Friday evening for dinner from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.. that caused a tremendous line at the Grand Pacific and so many people that there was truly no way to seat them all.

That was the first night of our cruise. However, the rest of the week, the Magenta stayed open until 8:00 pm afterward the Kosherica group had it reserved.

We had two Friday's since it was a 9 day cruise...so the second Friday was a little better because people knew it was coming and made alternate reservations at specialties or adjusted their dining time.

That said, I think that there were many complaints and probably the next time that Kosherica has a charter, it will be handled differently. Although since their way of dining is SO different than ours, it must be tough to accommodate them along with the other 2000 people on the ship.

I'm curious about what I've highlighted in red means.

....is how I first heard about the charter. Don't know how that member found out. I will feel better after the ship group co-ordinator offers more information. We had planned to do mostly specialty and very casual dining options, so MDR usage is not a deal breaker. My main concern is more inline with "group dynamic" behavior which can turn into feelings and actions of an entitled nature.

Unfortunately, there really is no other viable alternative given the parameters of our group, timing and transport. Really do appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.

Our first X cruise back in 2000 was with a huge group from an Evangelical Mega Church that had booked almost 60% the ship. They had one MDR exclusively for their use and it was overall not a great cruise. However the bars and late night lounges were almost empty as they all pretty much didn't drink and turned in early to bed every night. They were all a pretty boring group which I think took a lot away from the whole Cruise atmosphere aboard. We got a great deal for a last minute cruise from X as we heard from several of the Ships officers that the church group was originally supposed to sell out the whole cruise and gave back 40% of the unsold cabins 2 months prior to sailing.

Our only experience (years ago) was with a very large charter of Fire Fighters.

They were quite nice and fun to be around. There were several times when certain lounges would be blocked off for their cocktail parties.

Guess it depends on the type of group it is.

LuLu

~~~~

Just a heads up - if you have mobility issues you may want to ask about the elevator arrangement on the Sabbath. The hospital I'm training at now has the elevators set to stop at every floor on Sabbath, so any staff or visitors do not have to violate the rules.

I mention it because it brings the hospital to a grinding halt, it takes forever to get an elevator and I can take the stairs, but not everyone can. If you can climb flights with no problem or if the cruise does not employ this workaround, then it's not worth checking on, but just wanted to encourage you to ask if stairs are a problem.

Unless you're planning on spending a lot of time in your cabin or are booked in the Haven I would avoid any chartered cruise like the plague.

Actually, I heard that The Haven that week, was a horrible experience.....the suites had 5 or 6 kids in them each.....and the parents did nothing to control there children.....

Just a heads up - if you have mobility issues you may want to ask about the elevator arrangement on the Sabbath. The hospital I'm training at now has the elevators set to stop at every floor on Sabbath, so any staff or visitors do not have to violate the rules.

I mention it because it brings the hospital to a grinding halt, it takes forever to get an elevator and I can take the stairs, but not everyone can. If you can climb flights with no problem or if the cruise does not employ this workaround, then it's not worth checking on, but just wanted to encourage you to ask if stairs are a problem.

There was one dedicated elevator to stop at every floor.. one that would stop at the Megenta dining room. The other elevators were fine. It really didn't effect anyone.

We were on the cruise last year with this group and although I knew ahead of time there was a large group going, I didn't notice any disruptions from our plans. However, there were other groups that were loud and disruptive on our cruise, but not the folks from Kosherica.

I'm curious about what I've highlighted in red means.

They have to have special meals prepared and the preparation and storage of food is an issue. Utinsels and equipment used to store and prepare meat and dairy must be kept separate from each other. I understand the table linens must be separated and different, but I've not seen how that works. Usually in a kosher home, there are a particular set of dishes for meat and a completely different pattern for dairy.

Kosherica groups tend not to be that large (50-300 maybe). The main impact on other pax is the need for dedicated dining spaces due to kosher food restrictions. On the Gem they had the Magenta reserved for approx 3 hrs each night. OTOH it meant reduced crowds in every other venue b/c that was the only place they ate. Occasionally they will have a small venue reserved for group activities and entertainment or a main venue during off hours. Otherwise you will probably not notice them.

The kosher groups I've seen have had very few children. The reason is that the Kosherica prices are very high and few people can afford to take kids. The kosher cruise pax I've seen were older/retired or couples going on a special anniversary vacation without their kids.

Positives? Well, they are a fairly quiet bunch as groups go. If you are an Orthodox Jew you might want to ask to join their prayer service on board.

They have to have special meals prepared and the preparation and storage of food is an issue. Utinsels and equipment used to store and prepare meat and dairy must be kept separate from each other. I understand the table linens must be separated and different, but I've not seen how that works. Usually in a kosher home, there are a particular set of dishes for meat and a completely different pattern for dairy.

I can assure you I know what it means to follow kosher dietary laws. ;)

I'd still like the person who made the post to explain what they meant by the words they chose, including why it was necessary to put the word "so" in capitals.

I can only add that I traveled with a tattoo convention and they were a total delight. There were no special dining needs and artwork was so interesting.

I have worked at a hotel that had been chartered for a Kosherica-type group and it was more labor intensive for the staff than is the regular routine. Kids were a problem, but that could be because there were so many of them. That could happen anywhere I suppose.

To be honest, I would rebook for a different week or if you can't as you said, just make the best of it and have a good time with your own group.

Archived