Comparative cruise prices re: 123 promo

happy cruzer

I typically book inside cabins. I looked to see the difference in pricing between an inside and outside on some Alaska cruises. I only looked at a very small sample. I noticed that the difference on Celebity was very singificant i.e. more than the cost of a classic drink package.

So then I looked at the other lines Princess and HAL in particular, their inside to outside cost differences were much smaller.

To me it looks like Celebrity used the 123 promo to support their pricing structure of the more expensive cabins. Which is great marketing. But if you are not a die hard Celebrity fan and are looking at the bottom line, it probably would pay to do a comparison.

Just an observation that I hope I don't get major flames for.:)

I think you're right! I love Celebrity, but last summer found a deal on a Princess cruise to Alaska that couldn't be beat. IIRC it included two nights in the lodge in Fairbanks, a train trip to Denali, overnight there, then a coach trip to the port plus a 7 night cruise in an OV cabin for about $900. Granted the cabin had a partially obstructed view but we could still see out and have daylight.

As it turned out, I really disliked the ship itself, spoiled by Celebrity, but for that price it was totally worth it. I couldn't come close to that price on Celebrity.

123 Go is a great marketing tool, I booked a cruise because of it. However, Celebrity will likely come out ahead as the actual cost of the alcohol consumed per passenger will be less than the $44 per day they normally charge for the Classic package.

A simple example would be ordering 9 beers @ $5 each, which would be equivalent to the value of the beverage package. The actual wholesale cost of the beer is probably $1, so the cost to Celebrity would only be $9. Of course, the cost of other drinks/wine would vary, as well as the number of drinks each passenger consumes in a day.

Not only should people compare to other cruise lines, but Celebrity runs a number of other pricing promos (the Tuesday sales come to mind, but there are often weekend deals as well plus others) that don't qualify for the 123 promo...but depending on how much you drink might end up being a far better option for you.

When I booked my cruise for next month, the 123 promo was on but I saved a lot more by booking the special without the 123 promo. Of course I'm sailing solo, but even if I had been booking a cabin for 2 it would have been a better deal. But I am not a big drinker at all.

I was looking at Royal Princess for next winter. Now that Celebrity is going to revive the 1,2,3 promotion, I might just do Reflection. I know what the pricing is for the date I'm looking at (for Reflection) .....just wondering if it will be the same on the 15th (which is when 1,2,3 comes out, I believe).

I analyze things the same way. :)

Interestingly enough, I had been contemplating for a Celebrity cruise for awhile now and did a price/itinerary comparison to......Carnival for March 22, 2014. I would have bought the drink package on Carnival and booked a balcony room. Compared to the Reflection same date/similar itinerary/+free drinks, Celebrity was actually $300 less overall.

I booked the Reflection...first Celebrity cruise ever.

Last minute deals are usually great if you can take advantage. You can save alot of money to pay for any benefit you like.

The 123 promo does apply to cruises a bit out in time. If you are a planner, then it could be your best promo.

I typically book inside cabins. I looked to see the difference in pricing between an inside and outside on some Alaska cruises. I only looked at a very small sample. I noticed that the difference on Celebity was very singificant i.e. more than the cost of a classic drink package.

So then I looked at the other lines Princess and HAL in particular, their inside to outside cost differences were much smaller.

To me it looks like Celebrity used the 123 promo to support their pricing structure of the more expensive cabins. Which is great marketing. But if you are not a die hard Celebrity fan and are looking at the bottom line, it probably would pay to do a comparison.

Just an observation that I hope I don't get major flames for.:)

I priced Celebrity for the cruise we are taking next year and then the 123 came out and I got that price and it was the same---so we booked.

We booked the Reflection during the 1,2,3 Go promotion. Since the promotion ended the price of our cabin category has gone up $200pp. I'm happy we booked when we did as I was worried that the price would drop significantly as their promo ended. I'm sure last minute deals will be alot less but at least I'll have a tasty beverage in hand as we sail away.

Your absolutely right, the price of our inside cabin when we booked with 123GO promo = £1399, 2 weeks later £1099, a month later £849.

Difference of £550. We would break even if we cancelled and re-booked our cabin + drinks package including loss of deposit.

No chance of an upgrade either as the price drops apply to guarantee cabins, new customers only. We will think twice before taking celebrity up on an offer in future.

We just got off the Eclipse on 3/9. We booked the Eclipse for next year also onboard.

But once I saw they were offering this promotion, I booked two more cruises this weekend. Solstice to Alaska and Summit from Bayonne to San Juan.

We get the drink packages and prepaid gratuities and for the summit a bus takes us there from Long Island so no dealing with getting one of my kids to drive us to jersey.

So for us, it was worth it. And I would not have booked those cruises if they didn't have this particular offer. We have tons of airline miles and bump vouchers to use up so we don't have to worry about paying for air.

When we were comparing a celebrity cruise with the 1 2 3 Go promo, with another line, we didn't look at the cost of the classic package. We factored how much money we would normally spend on drinks, and calculate this as the amount saved.

Your absolutely right, the price of our inside cabin when we booked with 123GO promo = £1399, 2 weeks later £1099, a month later £849.

Difference of £550. We would break even if we cancelled and re-booked our cabin + drinks package including loss of deposit.

No chance of an upgrade either as the price drops apply to guarantee cabins, new customers only. We will think twice before taking celebrity up on an offer in future.

If a cruise isn't filling they will drop prices, sometimes dramatically.

In our case booked a cruise pre the first 123 promo; the cruise was about sold out when 123 announced & price hadn't changed from the price we booked at. Called and got the drink package added to our booking. Cruise is now sold out. So the package was a big gain ($1800) for us as we always buy the beverage package.

When we were comparing a celebrity cruise with the 1 2 3 Go promo, with another line, we didn't look at the cost of the classic package. We factored how much money we would normally spend on drinks, and calculate this as the amount saved.

Yep, good example; that is my point. Value shoppers need to look at what they value when they do their comparsions.

Celebrity is a great line with some unique features. But for many of us there are some other lines on the same routes that offer a different features (for example I love Princess's pools) and may have a much better rate per night when adjusted for all the offers.

Archived