Teppenyaki vs. Lobster Night Debate

Fairydust312

I recently booked Teppenyaki for the first night of our upcoming Epic cruise. I thought that would be a fun way to kick off our vacation. I then learned that lobster night is the first night (should have done my lobster night research first). So now I am debating whether to switch Teppenyaki to a different day, though now the available times aren't as good as when I first booked it. I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how good the lobster is in the main dining rooms, though recent posted pictures look pretty good to me. Is it worth switching? Would lobster be available in Teppenyaki on the first night (without an up charge)? If I do switch, can I even do that now that I have already paid the surcharge or do I need to wait until I'm on board, when I imagine availability will be even more limited?

Ah, the problems we cruisers face!:)

You answered your own question. If you are a lobster lover then switching is in order. Lobster is ONLY served the first night in the MDR. So if lobster lovers snooze, they lose :(

Teppanyaki is wonderful on Epic. Go hungry!

Our family went to Teppenyaki on lobster night on the Epic.

I made some comment near the end of the dinner preparation that we had fogotten that it was lobster night in the MDRs but we did not want to miss out on Teppenyaki.

Our Chef seized on that comment and immediately called for a half a dozen tails that he quickly prepared.

My son and I along with our fellow lobster loving tablemates were well taken care of.

Once we polished those off he asked if we were still hungry and of course we said yes which led to another round of lobster tails.

My son and I still remember that dinner fondly and refer to it as an Epic meal!

I made some comment near the end of the dinner preparation that we had fogotten that it was lobster night in the MDRs but we did not want to miss out on Teppenyaki.

Our Chef seized on that comment and immediately called for a half a dozen tails that he quickly prepared.

Several people have told me they've done this, so it's not just a single event.

DML

Our last cruise our travel agent was with us and treated the group to dinner at the Asian restaurant the first night. Would I have done it? no, but did we miss not having the Lobster? No again and I think we will continue to do a specialty restaurant the first night,if it is a 7 day cruise, a longer one, we may put the specialty restaurant off for a few nights.

Make sure the teppanyaki chef isn't overzealous on the soy sauce. Nothing worse than drowning a perfectly good lobster tail in salt like they did on the Gem for me last Sunday.

Also, the lobster tails in the MDR changed since December. In December it was half a spiny lobster tail and salmon. This time it was a small whole maine lobster which may be another reason go to lobster night.

Just go to teppanyaki a different night. We went twice during our 7 day cruise. You will have plenty of time to go to teppanyaki ( lunch and dinner everyday) but lobster night is only once. Plus they have lobster for dinner at the teppanyaki grill, however on the epic it was a 10 up-charge. It was delicious, definitely not drowned in soy sauce or anything. The ship's teppanyaki restaurant is comparable to land based counter parts such as Benihana, but much more affordable.

I recently booked Teppenyaki for the first night of our upcoming Epic cruise. I thought that would be a fun way to kick off our vacation. I then learned that lobster night is the first night (should have done my lobster night research first). So now I am debating whether to switch Teppenyaki to a different day, though now the available times aren't as good as when I first booked it. I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how good the lobster is in the main dining rooms, though recent posted pictures look pretty good to me. Is it worth switching? Would lobster be available in Teppenyaki on the first night (without an up charge)? If I do switch, can I even do that now that I have already paid the surcharge or do I need to wait until I'm on board, when I imagine availability will be even more limited?

Ah, the problems we cruisers face!:)

If you're picturing Maine lobster, this isn't it and we don't bother. If you love spiny lobster then some of the above suggestions may work for you.

Make sure the teppanyaki chef isn't overzealous on the soy sauce. Nothing worse than drowning a perfectly good lobster tail in salt like they did on the Gem for me last Sunday.

Also, the lobster tails in the MDR changed since December. In December it was half a spiny lobster tail and salmon. This time it was a small whole maine lobster which may be another reason go to lobster night.

There was a glut of "Maine" or most commonly known as Cold Water Lobsters on the market last year and the prices bottomed out. The Lobster Fishermen took a huge hit due to the unexpected high catch and low prices so NCL along with every other cruise-line took advantage of the cheap prices.

Don't know how long this glitch in the lobster market will continue so enjoy it while you can. I'm hoping they will be still there for our upcoming cruise's this summer.

cheers...the Ump...:D

My son and I along with our fellow lobster loving tablemates were well taken care of.

Once we polished those off he asked if we were still hungry and of course we said yes which led to another round of lobster tails.

My son and I still remember that dinner fondly and refer to it as an Epic meal!

I am doing this!!!! Thank you!

Archived