Beware of Art on Royal

I don't need to answer to a subjective saying, to a company with a questionable history, who's already been booted from the cruise line once. People say variations of, "cleaning up their act" all the time.

Let's say McDonald's got booted from a school cafeteria for the "pink slime preservatives", and I said, "Maybe they need to go a little more McHealthy", doesn't that just speak for itself, and to whatever context you yourself view that too?

How can I tell? I never claimed it was my job to tell, either with the signatures or the pink slime. When the Dali and Ali institutes start filing lawsuits, and judgements are issued, it's a pretty good indication ;)

So if you walk into an art auction, you don't have any idea how to decide whether they have "cleaned up their act", then.

Your McDonalds in school is not an equal analogy, at least to me- take out the pink slime, remove some fat from the food, reduce salt, bring in more fruit and veggies. That's a pretty good and objective change to be more McHealthy.

Should PW bring more originals, less originals, different art, more reproductions, what? You are the one saying they need to clean up their act- I would assume with that kind of demand, you would have a standard that you would want them to meet.

Otherwise, PW has met your request- they don't sell fake Dahlis, don't appear to sell fake Max's anymore, and apparently have worked out their issues with the Ali people- since they sell those now, too.

What you are asking for isn't subjective. It's a very easy thing to define, just come up with one.

Otherwise, you just may as well stay out of the art events on any of the ships. That would be Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Regents as well as Royal Caribbean. For such a shady company, they seem to sell stuff on a lot of ships.

So if you walk into an art auction, you don't have any idea how to decide whether they have "cleaned up their act", then.

I've already answered this question. Please read my last reply if you forgot.

Your McDonalds in school is not an equal analogy, at least to me- take out the pink slime, remove some fat from the food, reduce salt, bring in more fruit and veggies. That's a pretty good and objective change to be more McHealthy.

But you never explained how my analogy was off? You're correct though, in that you gave "McHeathy" your own spin, which may or may not match mine.

Should PW bring more originals, less originals, different art, more reproductions, what? You are the one saying they need to clean up their act- I would assume with that kind of demand, you would have a standard that you would want them to meet.

My statement was: "Couldn't RCL at least ask for a "clean variation" of Park West Gallery?" Technically that's not a demand, or any other "kind of demand" you are referring to. Your statement is a demand however, and I don't answer to you. It's not healthy to expect people to, unless your a parent, or a judge, then it's just your job. When you "need" artificial authority, there's often lack of control over one's self.

Otherwise, PW has met your request- they don't sell fake Dahlis, don't appear to sell fake Max's anymore, and apparently have worked out their issues with the Ali people- since they sell those now, too.

What you are asking for isn't subjective. It's a very easy thing to define, just come up with one.

You've contradicted yourself, claiming that PW has met my request, and yet potentially hasn't. If what I want (or more accurately the play on words saying) isn't subjective, why are you even asking? Again, I don't respond to demands. I've already said that I will not explain inclusive subjectivity, look at my previous comment if you forgot.

Otherwise, you just may as well stay out of the art events on any of the ships. That would be Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Regents as well as Royal Caribbean. For such a shady company, they seem to sell stuff on a lot of ships.

What I do on the ships is a red herring, has nothing to do with this conversation. I guess you could use the same reasoning for any chain company located anywhere, at any time, regardless of reputation.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

So basically, you want a "clean variation" whatever that means...

You could suggest some simple things- say make the original artists or sources supply certificates of authenticity along with PW's. That is the root of part of the controversy. That's not subjective.

You could as that the auctioneers not be forceful in suggesting people to buy art, or not be misleading in their statements about the art. Those were part of the complaints, too. Not subjective.

I'm just trying to fix the problem by addressing specifics. Not be vague in asking for a "clean variation" with no definition. That's all. It's not that hard to do.

So basically, you want a "clean variation" whatever that means...

I think you are getting it. It's that way with any phrasing, just listen in real life if someone tells a play on words on the bus or a joke in line somewhere. If someone says, "how about we clean these floors", and everyone laughs. That means to one degree or another everyone agrees (or peer pressure). No one is going to run up and interrogate, "what's a clean floor then?" If you do, it's not going to work, hopefully they'll just buy you a beer or something, ask why so defensive.

I'm just trying to fix the problem by addressing specifics. Not be vague in asking for a "clean variation" with no definition. That's all. It's not that hard to do.

Yeah, we probably have been focused too much the saying. If you are trying to fix a problem, you'll have to find your own mission, pull a wider group of people, watch for changes. I don't think it will be hard to do either, I'm pleasantly surprised. Please keep us posted here on cc.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

The only good thing about the Art auctions on cruise ship is that they are an activity, the free champaign and if the auctioneer is good you can get a great history lesson. But you better know your art before you buy. And yes we were sucker in on the won painting thing, and to top it off my wife is an very good watercolorist LOL. Having said that, if you know art and pricing of it you might get a REAL DEAL, well some rare times.

Need art, and not the masters or featured artist like Kincade, buy local some great art can be found in your hometown.

If you buy art work locally, you are supporting the actual artists, not the cruise industry. I do art shows and cringe everytime I see what passes for art on the ships. Buy your original art or prints from the artists at your local art shows and you'll make an artist very happy. :D Additionally, you'll get to know the actual artist, not some huckster.:eek:

If you buy art work locally, you are supporting the actual artists, not the cruise industry. I do art shows and cringe everytime I see what passes for art on the ships. Buy your original art or prints from the artists at your local art shows and you'll make an artist very happy. :D Additionally, you'll get to know the actual artist, not some huckster.:eek:

Doubt if Romero Britto does local art shows.

Actually, there is a place for both. My wife does art and sells through ETSY. No need to hucksterize one for the sake of the other.:)

Doubt if Romero Britto does local art shows.

Actually, there is a place for both. My wife does art and sells through ETSY. No need to hucksterize one for the sake of the other.:)

Romero no longer has a need to do street shows, he is way beyond that. He does however judge shows. .. Have met and talked to him at street shows. He is a nice, approachable fella.

...Sorry, just haven't got much respect for the art auctioned off on board... just my opinion, mind you.;)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

RCI has given Art on Royal the boot. They are refunding those who have bought and not received their art. It makes me wonder how the artist has faired in this.

Like some others, I thought Art on Royal was an RCI company, started in response to the bad history with Park West. I was wrong.

When I get my refund from a recent purchase I will try to get the art directly from the artist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
FYI

RCI has given Art on Royal the boot. They are refunding those who have bought and not received their art. It makes me wonder how the artist has faired in this.

Like some others, I thought Art on Royal was an RCI company, started in response to the bad history with Park West. I was wrong.

When I get my refund from a recent purchase I will try to get the art directly from the artist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just spoke with RCL as well who claimed they found out at the end of February about kicking Art on Royal off. Yet they have not reached out to any customers who have unresolved orders. The resolution claim started today will take a MINIMUM of 2-3 weeks they said. So far I haven't gotten anyone on the phone who can answer my questions or get this resolved faster. I purchased three pieces of art on a 12/2/13 sailing and none have been delivered. None were cheap either so I'm out a lot of money right now.

• 1 month later...
I just spoke with RCL as well who claimed they found out at the end of February about kicking Art on Royal off. Yet they have not reached out to any customers who have unresolved orders. The resolution claim started today will take a MINIMUM of 2-3 weeks they said. So far I haven't gotten anyone on the phone who can answer my questions or get this resolved faster. I purchased three pieces of art on a 12/2/13 sailing and none have been delivered. None were cheap either so I'm out a lot of money right now.

did you receive a refund yet? what artist did you purchase?

I'm only out one piece from July 2013 cruise. Sailed with several of the artist and got all but one piece.

On three of our cruises, Haiti twice, Croatia once we bought real paintings from local artists paying no more that $50. We had the canvas ones framed for $150 at Micheals; much better deal than art on a ship. Two paintings we had the cruise director and captain sign the artwork,

I sailed on the Indy last week. Never saw any art displayed in any common areas or heard any announcements about an art auction. I did see a group of crew members around a table looking like they were involved in planning it. I thought I saw them printing off a number of flyers. I don't remember see it in the compass, but I could have missed it. Maybe they were planning for the TA sailing this week??