So envious...

billys5764

I'm a university professor and can't take all these fall and spring cruises like many of you. I'm so jealous. We would love to do the 15 day Hawaii cruise but it doesn't run during the summer. Typhoon season??

Oh well, retirement is about 10 years away.

I love fall for cruising. Love less crowds and the prices are usually good. I think mostly the reason they don't have 15 day summer Hawaii cruises is that most of the cruiselines fit Hawaii between the Alaska and Mexican Riviera cruise schedule. Kind of a guess on my part, but it seems to be that way.

I understand! Those restrictions are frustrating. I'm looking forward to when my daughter (HS senior now) gets out of college in about four years and I can start cruising any time of year! With her being in college the next four years, Mama's going to be broke, so cruises will be few and far between! But, after that... :D

Elementary teacher here. I get to cruise during peak school breaks or summer. That always means higher fares and crowded ships! Can't wait to do a transatlantic, Hawaiian, or Panama Canal cruise during those off seasons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a university professor and can't take all these fall and spring cruises like many of you. I'm so jealous. We would love to do the 15 day Hawaii cruise but it doesn't run during the summer. Typhoon season??

I'm in the same boat...urm...ship...as you, billys. Not fair to not have personal leave, now is it? :( What I do is as SOON as commencement is over in May, I get on a ship, that way, kids are not out of school yet. Or, wait until right before classes start in August - kids are already back in school and prices have already started to drop and I generally have extra cash from summer teaching.

There's also the option of finding conference cruises. Depending upon your field, many groups hold trainings on board cruise lines. Then, it's not personal time, but rather conference leave, and so you can get away from the University with no problem! Just gotta' look for them. That's how I got started with cruising. My very first cruise was a trianing cruise aboard the Holiday in 2004. Been hooked since then!

I can relate!! I am actually eligible to retire in 1 week, when I will have my age and years for NYSRS eligibility!:D However, I am going to work one more year, till dh is ready to semi-retire. I have already told him that I want to do a Europe/transatlantic, Hawaii, relocation, and Australia cruise! (not all in one year). Can't wait till I can finally take advantage of the great off-season prices.

I'm a university professor and can't take all these fall and spring cruises like many of you. I'm so jealous.

That's a bummer because it's so expensive to cruise during Summer. I'm able to cruise 4 times a year because the prices are so much lower in the off season.

I'm looking forward to some long cruises myself when I retire.

I know how you feel. The first and last week of each month is crazy for me with reports and meetings. Very difficult to take off. I get six weeks vacation time each year but can't string enough of it together to take a long cruise. Would love to do the NCL Jewel repositioning cruise to Houston next year or a TA when RCCL comes to Galveston, but that's 12-16 days. I'd have to sell my soul to get that much time off.

I'm in the same boat...urm...ship...as you' date=' billys. Not fair to not have personal leave, now is it? :( What I do is as SOON as commencement is over in May, I get on a ship, that way, kids are not out of school yet. Or, wait until right before classes start in August - kids are already back in school and prices have already started to drop and I generally have extra cash from summer teaching.

There's also the option of finding conference cruises. Depending upon your field, many groups hold trainings on board cruise lines. Then, it's not personal time, but rather conference leave, and so you can get away from the University with no problem! Just gotta' look for them. That's how I got started with cruising. My very first cruise was a trianing cruise aboard the Holiday in 2004. Been hooked since then![/quote']

My youngest is still in high school. Hopefully he will get great scholarships to college and we can go as soon as my last grade is turned in at the end of his freshman year. Without the schollys we probably won't be cruising for a while.

I'm in the same boat...urm...ship...as you' date=' billys. Not fair to not have personal leave, now is it? :( What I do is as SOON as commencement is over in May, I get on a ship, that way, kids are not out of school yet. ![/quote']

I teach at a college and that's what I'm doing. Graduation one day, cruise the next. :D

So is my husband, but what he does, and teaches, it works that we can cruise during finals week....which also happen to be some of the cheapest times to cruise! :D

I am actually oppisite of this. I am jealous because I can't do an Alaskan cruise. I cannot take more than a day or two off at a time from May until September (and even then it has to be for things like weddings). All of my vacations have to be taken between October and early May. We really want to do one too, but retirement is still a good 10 years away - and I'm too old and too vested for a career change.:(

I can't imagine not being able to cruise in January and February when the prices are cheap. That's the time of year that we need to get away from the cold, the snow, the ice, and just winter in general.

I'm also in the same boat as the poster who generally can't go in summer. In my office, we can only have something like two people gone for a week vacation at a time, and then I think the most amount of time you can be gone at any one time is two weeks, so longer cruises between Memorial Day and Labor Day are definitely out.

Archived