Leaving in 2 weeks - last minute ?'s

MAPCruises

We are doing the western Carribena cruis on N. Amsterdam in 2 weeks.

Couple last minute questions and packing tips (we are virgin cruisers):

1.) Should I take my pillow or are the HAL pillows pretty good? I typically use a memory foam material pillow.

2.) I am a computer junkie but will probably not get a data plan - should I take my computer or just leave it at home? sounds silly but almost like a security blanket - have computer will travel :) - but lots of weight to take when chances are I will not use.

3.) Spa package - What do you get for the $250. Just access to the sauna / steam rooms / thermal suite? Worth the money with 4 port days on a 7 day cruise?

4.) What is the best way to "phone home". We both use Verizon for our cell phone service - have (2) kids that my mom is watching while we are gone and defnately want to check in a couple times to make sure all is OK. I have seen the blog on wi-fi locations in Cayman, etc so I can e-mail them but what sbout cell phones. Service and will it cost us a fortune?

5.) what should we MAKE sure we take: I have power strip, clock, nite ight, clorox wipes, room spray, magnets, + all our normal stuff - Any other "Cruise Specific" items we shoud not forget?

6.) What should we do first when we get on board? I have already signed up for Pinnacle and Tamarind dinners. but we are definately interested in the culinary classes - what else can we sign up for on the NA that we MUST do that first day before they sell out or get fully booked?

Any other words of wisdom for first time cruisers? We are super excited and can not wait!!!

I can help you with a couple of items.

First -- we don't do the spa -- so I have no idea what is included in your price.

You should call Verizon and ask them if your plan covers calls back to the states once you are on land.

HAL doesn't have the type of pillows you have described. They do have foam pillows which you can ask for from your cabin steward if you do not like the one in your cabin.

When we get on the ship we always go to the Pinnacle and Tamarind to reconfirm our pre-booked reservations.

If you are interested in the cooking classes, you need to go to the front desk to sign up for them. They are $29 per person and the classes are limited to 12 people. You can ask to see the menu that you will be helping to make and check on the times when they will be.

The Internet on the ship can be very expensive no matter whether you use the ship's computers or take your own computer. Most of the time I don't even bother taking one any more.

Internet Prices

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Plan 4 -- $175 for 500 minutes

Plan 5 -- $250 for 1000 minutes

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

Check the daily Explorer program for other specials offered during the cruise.

Someone on CC just reported the other day that on their 10 day Zuiderdam cruise another package waas offered -- Unlimited minutes for $199. Haven't heard anyone else mention this from any other ships yet.

On the NA - along with the stuff you have listed for the Spa - there is also the hydrotherapy pool which is very nice. That would be one of the first things I would do when I board - I would go to the Spa, check it out and if you like it book then. Usually they have a 'deal' on day one.

It's worth it if you will use it. Even in port you may well choose to use it when you get back. It's a personal decision - check it out when you get on board.:D

I only have one cruise under my belt (until March 30 woohoo!!) but I do remember my mother's advice being to keep a copy of all your documents in your suitcases as well as on your person 'just in case'.

I would leave my computer at home, buy a internet plan and plan on checking on my kids daily. Maybe a single check and quick email back takes 10 mins and gives you peace of mind. Do you have a tablet? That would conserve internet time.

I agree with Krazy Kruizers on the Spa. We purchased a spa hydro therapy pool pkg on the Eurodam last year but I didn't use it enough to justify purchasing it again. HAL ususally offers good spa deal packages on the 1st day out.

If you have a smart phone..consider using Skype of Viber to avoid cell phone charges..all you need is a wireless connection to make a call worldwide.

Many of our International Flight Attendant friends use Viber.

Why a power strip, and why magnets?

A power strip might come in handy if someone needed to charge or power a lot of items, such as camera(s), phone, ipad, toothbrush, all while trying to use their own hairdryer.

Can't imagine why anyone would bring magnets.

A power strip might come in handy if someone needed to charge or power a lot of items, such as camera(s), phone, ipad, toothbrush, all while trying to use their own hairdryer.

Can't imagine why anyone would bring magnets.

I think a previous poster on a different thread mentioned the magnets for the purpose of "sticking" the daily cruise info onto the wall, one or more of which is metal. This would keep them from getting lost among all the things in your cabin, and keeping it neat and organized.

PS I love your "Chocolate" sayings, and your timely reference to "Rhoda"!

I think a previous poster on a different thread mentioned the magnets for the purpose of "sticking" the daily cruise info onto the wall, one or more of which is metal. This would keep them from getting lost among all the things in your cabin, and keeping it neat and organized.

Everything in my cabin is always neat and organized! I keep the Daily Explorers propped up behind that little barrier where the guest services book, and a few other things are.

Everything else is put inside something. If/when the seas are terrible, I don't want my things to go flying.

PS I love your "Chocolate" sayings, and your timely reference to "Rhoda"!

Thanks, I need to remember to change them more often.

I just wish I could remember the first part of that line "Rhoda" said.

Everything in my cabin is always neat and organized! I keep the Daily Explorers propped up behind that little barrier where the guest services book, and a few other things are.

Everything else is put inside something. If/when the seas are terrible, I don't want my things to go flying.

Thanks, I need to remember to change them more often.

I just wish I could remember the first part of that line "Rhoda" said.

No Mare, cottage cheese solves nothing, chocolate does it all. :D

I always keep everything neat and tidy too. It is how I live at home and I see no different way on vacation! I had never heard of using magnets, I am like Ruth and keep the papers like she does. But I guess they work for some folks......

PS

My Cabin Steward gave me a compliment last time we sailed that he always found our cabin very neat and organized and he appreciated it. He said some people are really sloppy and it makes their job so much harder to do......I am glad I am not one of those people who is putting another rock on their rockpile!:)

I would like to think my memory is razor sharp but I must confess to a bit of googling. :)

Funny thing is I Googled it, too. I didn't find the original quote (you obviously did better than I), but I did find a reference to my siggy on CC! :eek:

Funny thing is I Googled it, too. I didn't find the original quote (you obviously did better than I), but I did find a reference to my siggy on CC! :eek:

I entered it as "chocolate does it all, Rhoda"

I have never taken magnets on cruise -- what would you use them for on a cruise?

I don't even have any magnets at home.

A poster (I forget who) a while back said he/she used them to stick the daily info literature to a/the (metal)wall of the cabin to keep them organized.....so they wouldn't get lost or scattered around the cabin.

We sail mostly Vistas, and I don't remember having a metal wall anywhere.

• We bring lined Post-Its to leave notes for the stewards
  • Invites are taped to the mirror
  • Current Explorers, etc., are on the desk
  • Past Explorers are placed in a drawer, carefully folded up with their corresponding menus, daily papers, sale and excursion ads
  • Debarkation docs are ignored until the very last minute.

Thanks for all the responses!

[

QUOTE=Krazy Kruizers;37484501]

If you are interested in the cooking classes, you need to go to the front desk to sign up for them. They are $29 per person and the classes are limited to 12 people. You can ask to see the menu that you will be helping to make and check on the times when they will be.

Are the cooking classes really good? From other posts it seems like they are not offers all the time. I love to cook and love food and wine so definitely interested.

Magnets? I saw them on a lot of cruise lists for hanging up the flyers, to keep in order, to using then to hang up clothes to dry? Never been on a cruise before so it seems like these may not be entirely necessary based on the comments..

I do have an iPad -so may take that for email and leave my laptop at home.. Problem with Skype is my mom is completely computer non knowledgable so will have to resort to old fashioned phone.

Spa - how much do they drop the price if you book the first day? Like $200 instead of $250? I would love to do this package..... Love the pampering!

Couple last minute questions and packing tips (we are virgin cruisers):

1.) Should I take my pillow or are the HAL pillows pretty good? I typically use a memory foam material pillow.The pillows are good and they have different types-just ask you steward.

2.) I am a computer junkie but will probably not get a data plan - should I take my computer or just leave it at home? waste of time and space-if you need to connect go to the explorations cafe and buy a package

3.) Spa package - What do you get for the $250. Just access to the sauna / steam rooms / thermal suite? Worth the money with 4 port days on a 7 day cruise? never used the spa...no time!

4.) What is the best way to "phone home". ask the crew! they know all those secrets.....

5.) what should we MAKE sure we take: I have power strip, clock, nite ight, clorox wipes, room spray, magnets, + all our normal stuff - Any other "Cruise Specific" items we shoud not forget? small packet of travel Tide for washing things-you'd be amazed.

6.) What should we do first when we get on board? I have already signed up for Pinnacle and Tamarind dinners. but we are definately interested in the culinary classes - what else can we sign up for on the NA that we MUST do that first day before they sell out or get fully booked? kitchen tour if you can-free but go early to get a spot.

We put all of our HAL information into the ottoman which is hollow-you just lift up the lid and throw it in. Then when we pack to leave we take it all out-no clutter in the cabin or magnets.

Make a sign and hang it from a railing for sailaway and wave like h*ll!

Archived