Ultimate Chair hog

boone2

On our last cruise I had clothes in the dryer. When I returned to laundry room to check on them on them I found that someone had removed my clothes before they were dry and then took over the dryer. I thought that was very rude!

If they took them out BEFORE your time was used up, and the machine was still running, that would be an entirely different issue.

How were they to know how long you would be before returning? Some people put clothes in the machine, go get lunch or take a nap and forget their clothes in either washer or dryer. Maybe there should be a place to put notes that could make all this easier. If someone were to leave a note stating they will be back at 2pm and it's now 2:15 or later, then people have every good reason to take the items out, whether they are dry or not.

If they took them out BEFORE your time was used up, and the machine was still running, that would be an entirely different issue.

How were they to know how long you would be before returning? Some people put clothes in the machine, go get lunch or take a nap and forget their clothes in either washer or dryer. Maybe there should be a place to put notes that could make all this easier. If someone were to leave a note stating they will be back at 2pm and it's now 2:15 or later, then people have every good reason to take the items out, whether they are dry or not.

True, if the dryer had stopped and the clothes were still wet, would you expect the person to wait or add more coins to dry your clothes and not theirs. I wouldn't think so.:D

If they took your clothes out before it had finished then shame on them.:eek:

The washers and driers are really slow, actually mostly the dryers. If you noticed every washer and dryer have a number shown on the wall above, so if you use washer #3 then you're supposed to use dryer #3. So, during my last cruise I didn't notice the number, I was in a rush, and used washer #3 andthen dryer #2. Well, there was a man there doing laundry, etc. (I wish my DH would have done this) :). Well, this guy must have been the laundry police, yelled at me that I just put my stuff in the wrong dryer, I didn't know there was a wrong dryer, so I asked him if he was the laundry policy and left.

The washers and driers are really slow, actually mostly the dryers. If you noticed every washer and dryer have a number shown on the wall above, so if you use washer #3 then you're supposed to use dryer #3. So, during my last cruise I didn't notice the number, I was in a rush, and used washer #3 andthen dryer #2. Well, there was a man there doing laundry, etc. (I wish my DH would have done this) :). Well, this guy must have been the laundry police, yelled at me that I just put my stuff in the wrong dryer, I didn't know there was a wrong dryer, so I asked him if he was the laundry policy and left.

I did not know about the numbers either. If I am the only one doing laundry, I will use 2 dryers so that my clothes will dry faster.

One time I went in to the laundry at about 7 am and used all the washers. Nobody else was anywhere around. The washers were almost finished when a lady came in to do laundry and was irate that I had used more than one. I would not have used them all if someone else had been waiting. Usually at that time of the morning, the laundry room is empty. So I was a washer hog!

I did not know about the numbers either. If I am the only one doing laundry, I will use 2 dryers so that my clothes will dry faster.

One time I went in to the laundry at about 7 am and used all the washers. Nobody else was anywhere around. The washers were almost finished when a lady came in to do laundry and was irate that I had used more than one. I would not have used them all if someone else had been waiting. Usually at that time of the morning, the laundry room is empty. So I was a washer hog!

The numbers above the washers and dryers do not have anything to do with washing and drying you clothes in the same number machine!:D

The machines are numbered so that when there is a malfunction of one, it can be identified to maintenance.

The dryers take longer to dry the clothes than the washers take to wash them. The machines are first come first served. It would be ludicrous to stand and wait for the same number dryer if it was still being used and there was another empty one.

This is too funny. There was another chair available, but had to remove the book or whatever in riteous indignation.

That's the way i read it too.....sounds like hubby, by himself, absolutely HAD to have the chair that the books and stuff was on........remind me again, who was the chair hog??

The numbers above the washers and dryers do not have anything to do with washing and drying you clothes in the same number machine!:D

The machines are numbered so that when there is a malfunction of one, it can be identified to maintenance.

The dryers take longer to dry the clothes than the washers take to wash them. The machines are first come first served. It would be ludicrous to stand and wait for the same number dryer if it was still being used and there was another empty one.

Thank goodness! I have never noticed the numbers on the washers and dryers - and even if I did see the numbers, I wouldn't think I had to use the same number dryer as washer!

Chair Hogs in the laundry room to me = people who leave their laundry in the washer or dryer and go elsewhere, and don't return before their laundry is done. One of us always stays in the laundry room so we can immediately remove clothes from the washer or dryer - but we have seen people just leave their stuff there, and not return before the cycles finished. Very rude - especially when there are others waiting to use the machines.

If the door is opened before the dryer has finished, it will stop drying even if the door is closed again. So unless whoever opened it presses a restart button, it will count down the rest of your time while not doing any actual drying.

I found this out when someone must have opened the door on the dryer I was using, realized it was in use and closed the door again, but did not restart it. I returned at the proper time to find a dryer full of wet clothes.

I've never used the washers/dryers on a cruise before because I usually just hand wash small things in the cabin and let them dry overnight but next month we'll be on a 15 day cruise so I am glad to have come across this thread so that I can better understand laundry room etiquette. It's all just common sense and being considerate to others.

If I use a small alarm (on phone) will it be pretty accurate for timing? I have a bit of claustrophobia and not too sure I can just hang out in that room for the entire wash and dry cycle. :o

If the door is opened before the dryer has finished, it will stop drying even if the door is closed again. So unless whoever opened it presses a restart button, it will count down the rest of your time while not doing any actual drying.

I found this out when someone must have opened the door on the dryer I was using, realized it was in use and closed the door again, but did not restart it. I returned at the proper time to find a dryer full of wet clothes.

Accidents happen, and I suppose the person may not have realised they had stopped the drying process. But I think that sometimes there is a general lack of respect for others by some people. Some people only think that they have every right to do something that suits them and it doesn't matter who else is effected by their behaviour. I call this the 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome.:D

Accidents happen, and I suppose the person may not have realised they had stopped the drying process.

I agree it was not on purpose, but anyone coming into the laundry room after that happened and before the time had finished would see a dryer not going and assume that the owner of the clothes had not come back in time to empty it.

On our last cruise I had clothes in the dryer. When I returned to laundry room to check on them on them I found that someone had removed my clothes before they were dry and then took over the dryer. I thought that was very rude!

On our last cruise, hubby was handling moving the wash to the dryer during one of our laundry sessions. Somebody apparently had opened the dryer we were using and didn't turn it back on. So when we returned to the laundry room (he had noted down when he started the dryer so we came back way before when the time would be up), the dryer was stopped and the load wasn't close to being dried. So either he forget to put in the money and start it (which I doubt as he would be able to tell by his quarter supply) or the above happened. Which is what probably happened.

We didn't notice any sign that said you had to use the dryer with the same # as the washer you used...so I imagine it's like what one person said -- it's just for maintenance reasons.

As someone who has used a public Laundromat over the years I can tell you that there are no rules as to a dryer matching up to a washer. Your wash is done you bring it to any # dryer that is empty. The number is there so you can remember where you put your wash. The idiot who told you that dryer number 3 goes with washer number 3 would have been beside himself if he saw me rinse our bathing suits out in the sink and then put them in the dryer. He probably would have told me that since I did a hand wash that I had to line dry. Also if my wash is done and all the dryers are empty I will use all of the empty dryers separating light weight synthetics from heavy cottons to decrease drying time.

My clothes were still damp. The time had not run out and I didn't go to lunch and forget about them.

Archived