Veendam layout

We have only sailed Vista class. In looking at the Veendam, what is the area titled "The Retreat". It's located in the same area that the aft pool is located on Vista's. Is there a pool there or is it just a sunning deck?

Also, noticed a small area called "The Oasis". There is a pool there, is it for adults only?

The Oasis is part of Club HAL and the tiny pool there is only for the children.

The Retreat has been done over a couple of times. It has a few whirlpools and ugly looking seats for sitting. There isn't a pool left anymore.

Check out Joanie's pictures here of the Retreat area:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Veendam/Lido-Seaview-Aft-Pool-Area.html

On the Veendam, The Retreat is the aft Lido Deck area with a high-rise consisting of loungers and hot tubs. It blocks the view of those sitting at deck level.

There's also a pizza stand, and a bar, and a huge movie screen.

There is no aft, outdoors, swimming pool.

The Oasis is an adult-free zone for teens. There's a waterfall there, which ends in a pool a few inches deep. It's one deck up from The Retreat (or is it two? :confused:).

Thanks KK & Ruth.

The ship looks er, ah, interesting :confused: I want to do the MR again and Veendam is the only HAL ship doing it :( I would so much prefer a Vista class.

Has anyone sailed Veendam lately - is it a decent ship or plagued with problems? I guess I'm asking if it is up to HAL's normally excellent standards?

We sailed on the Veendam to Bermuda last May and liked her very much. It was too cool to use the Retreat so that wasn't an issue. I'm thinking of doing the Boston/Boston 7 day cruise this summer in August...so we'll see.

Has anyone sailed Veendam lately - is it a decent ship or plagued with problems? I guess I'm asking if it is up to HAL's normally excellent standards?

I spent 20 days on her in January. She was all right. Nothing spectacular; nothing really wrong, either.

The ship was comfortable, in that she was clean, polished, kept up well, HVAC and plumbing worked as they should.

Cabin service was good; laundry service excellent. My dining service could have been better, but was all right. I was not happy with the dinner menus many nights, and resorted to the "Always Available" more times than usual. Taste of the food was good enough; it was the selections themselves that were of a lower quality than in the past.

Service in the Lido was good to very good at breakfast and lunch.

Service in the Pinnacle, from obtaining reservations, to greeting on arrival, to table service was as good or better than I have ever had. Perfect. It should always be this good. :)

Entertainment, both main stage and lounges, was good to very good, with the exception that everything closed down early.

We have only sailed Vista class. In looking at the Veendam, what is the area titled "The Retreat". It's located in the same area that the aft pool is located on Vista's. Is there a pool there or is it just a sunning deck?

Also, noticed a small area called "The Oasis". There is a pool there, is it for adults only?

I liked the Veendam but disliked "the Retreat" should never have removed the see view pool.

Thanks KK & Ruth.

The ship looks er, ah, interesting :confused: I want to do the MR again and Veendam is the only HAL ship doing it :( I would so much prefer a Vista class.

We were on her in January and February for 21 days. She was fine! I was worried because of all the hoopla about her in the past year. But I did not have to be worried. We had no problems whatsoever and the Captain and crew were wonderful.

We did not have much problems with the Retreat. It's too bad they put that there, as we rather have an aft pool (and therefor prefer Maasdam), but there is enough space back there and I did not have any problems with the view. For us the view was fine, you just have to walk to the sides a bit more. No big problem.

Veendam was very good to us. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat.

Archived