Oasis 14th Deck Overhang

• 1 month later...
Anyone stayed on the 14th deck?:o

I stayed on the 14 deck with the overhang on this ship in June of 2012 (I believe it was 14558 - B3). I ABSOLUTELY loved it! I loved the overhang because I am NOT a sun worshiper. I find no joy and comfort in sitting or basking in the sun. Therefore, the overhang gave me the freedom to use my balcony anytime of the day to relax and enjoy the water. In fact, I enjoyed the overhang so much that when I went on my celebrity cruise later that year I asked for a similar cabin that had an overhang. Many times during the South American cruise, while many of my neighbors stood on their balcony with their hands serving as visors to block the sun (and it was extremely warm), I was free to enjoy the scene in the comfort of the shade. It was so nice to just sit there and eat knowing that I am protected from the sun. Aside from having what amounts to a gigantic built in umbrella, there are also perks to booking that cabin on the Oasis. First, the deck plan shows that it is close to the kids activities. Don't let that fool you. At first, I was concern but I am happy to say that I heard not even a peep coming from that area. It was very very quiet. Also, its location, a level below the cafe, made it easy to run up stairs grab something to eat and walk back down to your room. It was also nice to go to the sports deck and walk back to the cabin without needing an elevator (loved it, loved it!) One obvious draw back is that you can't look straight up and the see the stars at night. But I suppose you can always go to the top deck to star gaze; albeit the lights from the ship might hamper the view just a bit.

In summary, if I ever sail on Oasis again I will definitely request that cabin. I have been on two cruises with overhang balconies and have fell in love with them. I have an upcoming trip in December (Celebrity Eclipse) and I was somewhat disappointed that I was not able to snag an overhang balcony. Again, if you are a sun worshiper, that cabin is NOT for you. I hope this review help. If anyone have any comments (whether pros or cons) please feel free to chime in. I would love to hear what others think about overhang balconies.

• 2 months later...
I stayed on the 14 deck with the overhang on this ship in June of 2012 (I believe it was 14558 - B3). I ABSOLUTELY loved it! I loved the overhang because I am NOT a sun worshiper. I find no joy and comfort in sitting or basking in the sun. Therefore, the overhang gave me the freedom to use my balcony anytime of the day to relax and enjoy the water. In fact, I enjoyed the overhang so much that when I went on my celebrity cruise later that year I asked for a similar cabin that had an overhang. Many times during the South American cruise, while many of my neighbors stood on their balcony with their hands serving as visors to block the sun (and it was extremely warm), I was free to enjoy the scene in the comfort of the shade. It was so nice to just sit there and eat knowing that I am protected from the sun. Aside from having what amounts to a gigantic built in umbrella, there are also perks to booking that cabin on the Oasis. First, the deck plan shows that it is close to the kids activities. Don't let that fool you. At first, I was concern but I am happy to say that I heard not even a peep coming from that area. It was very very quiet. Also, its location, a level below the cafe, made it easy to run up stairs grab something to eat and walk back down to your room. It was also nice to go to the sports deck and walk back to the cabin without needing an elevator (loved it, loved it!) One obvious draw back is that you can't look straight up and the see the stars at night. But I suppose you can always go to the top deck to star gaze; albeit the lights from the ship might hamper the view just a bit.

In summary, if I ever sail on Oasis again I will definitely request that cabin. I have been on two cruises with overhang balconies and have fell in love with them. I have an upcoming trip in December (Celebrity Eclipse) and I was somewhat disappointed that I was not able to snag an overhang balcony. Again, if you are a sun worshiper, that cabin is NOT for you. I hope this review help. If anyone have any comments (whether pros or cons) please feel free to chime in. I would love to hear what others think about overhang balconies.

Was the balcony larger due to the overhang?

I can't really compare the size of that balcony with others on the ship since I did not visit any other balcony. But I do recall that it would be a tight squeeze to comfortale sit more than two people. If you are all standing it will probably comfortable hold 4 or 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise, we had cabin 14558 & our children were in 14556. The cabins did not connect, however, the balcony's do. One item to note, is that due to having the hot tub above, cabin 14554 did not have the ability to connect to the balcony on either side, as it had support beams to hold the hot tub overhang. Great cabin and location, didn't hear any noise from the hot tub or kids club and only one deck up to the solarium! Wish I were still there.....

Just back from our cruise, we had cabin 14558 & our children were in 14556. The cabins did not connect, however, the balcony's do. One item to note, is that due to having the hot tub above, cabin 14554 did not have the ability to connect to the balcony on either side, as it had support beams to hold the hot tub overhang. Great cabin and location, didn't hear any noise from the hot tub or kids club and only one deck up to the solarium! Wish I were still there.....

Cruiser0721: I am so excited to hear that you enjoyed the cabin. Personally I think overhangs are a hidden gem. With regards to that particular cabin it is very rare to find a cabin directly below a hot tub, across from a kids club, close to the elevators yet the room is extremely quiet. Lets keep it our little secret. That way it will always be available when we want it :). Just kidding!

I am not sure how a picture from the deck will help your decision. Nevertheless, here is a pic I took from my 14 deck balcony during my visit to St. Thomas, one of my favorite destinations in the Caribbean. Keep in mind that I was in 14558 and was facing land when docked so your view from 14555 will be different. Enjoy your cruise :)

IMAG0003.jpg.c1e14fbbb4845f7e34e0c83f23717685.jpg

Plenty of sunlight! I had the same concern when I booked a D1 hump cabin on deck 14 under the pool. Lot's of sunlight and no noticeable noise from above. The overhang does not block it out:)

I am not sure how a picture from the deck will help your decision. Nevertheless, here is a pic I took from my 14 deck balcony during my visit to St. Thomas, one of my favorite destinations in the Caribbean. Keep in mind that I was in 14558 and was facing land when docked so your view from 14555 will be different. Enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks, but it should have been pics "of" the balcony and not "from". I guess that it sometimes "gets lost in the translation" since english isn´t my native language ;)

As Wilda pointed out, I have some concern about the sunlight.

Kim, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. No, I do not have a picture of the deck. If you are wondering about light on the deck, do not worry. It is not dark in any way. It is just that the overhang prevents the sun from beating straight down on the balcony. It is no different than relaxing on the beach under a large umbrella to protect you from the direct ultra violet sun rays. I always slept with the shade open because I like waking up to sunlight. So the overhang does allow sunlight to reach the deck as well as inside the cabin; it simply is not beating down on you making it unbearable to sit out on the balcony.

Plenty of sunlight! I had the same concern when I booked a D1 hump cabin on deck 14 under the pool. Lot's of sunlight and no noticeable noise from above. The overhang does not block it out:)

You are correct, the overhang does not block out the sun. However, it is not a good balcony for basking in the sun because you will not get the direct sun rays. For example, on a scenic cruise through the Panama Canal my neighbors, who did not have an overhang, could barely stand still to enjoy the view from their balcony because it was humid, hot as a "dickens" and the sun was really beating down on them. They wore hats and use their hands as visors to protect themselves from the sun. I did not have that problem because the overhang served as my hat/visor. That is basically the difference between having an overhang and not having an overhang. So yes, the balcony does get lots of sunlight, but the overhang prevents the sun from directly beating down on you. Did you like the cabin and would you book such a room in the future? As for me, I love the overhangs.

Thanks for the reply!

We have cabin 14554 and if I have got it right, it´s the first on infront of the overhang. I think that it will turn out just fine. My girlfriend still thinks that we have an inside, since I didn´t tell her that I made an upgrade :)

Archived