CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I was sailing out of Port Everglades a week ago and our ship was next to a Carnival ship (I believe the Freedom if I remember correctly) and I looked at the Carnival ship and then at the other ships in port and it made me feel a bit sad. The ship looked a bit run down and not in the greatest condition. There was a Holland America Line ship in port accross the way and even though it did look a bit old, it didn't look nearly as run down as the Carnival ship I saw.

Not meaning anything hurtful, it was just saddening to see. Makes me wish they would take better care when it comes to appearance and overall customer experience. My heart went out to those on the troubled ships and those whose future sailings will be effected by recent events. It stinks... :-(. I had wanted to try and cruise CCL because I had heard about the coveted meting chocolate cake but now I have second thoughts....

Be a grown up. Get a passport.

That said, US passports should be free. They cost way too much. $135 for the privilege of entering one's own country is ridiculous.

Been wearing big boy pants for some time now and I am capable of making my own decisions and choices. My choice should be no skin off your nose.

I was sailing out of Port Everglades a week ago and our ship was next to a Carnival ship (I believe the Freedom if I remember correctly) and I looked at the Carnival ship and then at the other ships in port and it made me feel a bit sad. The ship looked a bit run down and not in the greatest condition. There was a Holland America Line ship in port accross the way and even though it did look a bit old, it didn't look nearly as run down as the Carnival ship I saw.

Not meaning anything hurtful, it was just saddening to see. Makes me wish they would take better care when it comes to appearance and overall customer experience. My heart went out to those on the troubled ships and those whose future sailings will be effected by recent events. It stinks... :-(. I had wanted to try and cruise CCL because I had heard about the coveted meting chocolate cake but now I have second thoughts....

Examples? Pictures? Something? Not saying you are wrong, but I would like to see an example.

STATEMENT REGARDING CARNIVAL DREAM - March 15, 2013 12:30 p.m. EDT

The following provides an update on the Carnival Dream in St. Maarten.

Guest Logistics:

We have arranged for a combination of approximately 50 commercial and private chartered flights departing St. Maarten for the 4,363 guests onboard Carnival Dream. Guests have the option to return to Orlando — the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, where the voyage began — or their originating city. Guests began disembarking the ship this morning to board flights scheduled for today, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. We are working to try to accommodate special requests from guests, including those who asked to remain on board longer.

We have arranged for motor coach transfers from the ship in St. Maarten to the local airport, as well as in Orlando to the port or hotels that have been arranged for those guests who are staying overnight.

Onboard Activities & St. Maarten

All guests are safe and comfortable. Activities have continued aboard the ship similar to our regular, full Sea Day itineraries including children's programs and full dining options. Entertainment includes live music on deck, as well as a variety of bars and lounges. Last night, we arranged for three-time Grammy winner Jon Secada to perform two shows in the ship's main lounge.

Wednesday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. We have arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Background

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship's backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is working on. On Wednesday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship's propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours Wednesday evening. All facilities are fully operational and have been since approximately 12.30am Thursday.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Book a cruise on another line, and here's the receipe for the Chocolate Melting Cake: http://www.food.com/recipe/warm-chocolate-melting-cake-389107

STATEMENT REGARDING CARNIVAL DREAM - March 15, 2013 12:30 p.m. EDT

The following provides an update on the Carnival Dream in St. Maarten.

Guest Logistics:

We have arranged for a combination of approximately 50 commercial and private chartered flights departing St. Maarten for the 4,363 guests onboard Carnival Dream. Guests have the option to return to Orlando — the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, where the voyage began — or their originating city. Guests began disembarking the ship this morning to board flights scheduled for today, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. We are working to try to accommodate special requests from guests, including those who asked to remain on board longer.

We have arranged for motor coach transfers from the ship in St. Maarten to the local airport, as well as in Orlando to the port or hotels that have been arranged for those guests who are staying overnight.

Onboard Activities & St. Maarten

All guests are safe and comfortable. Activities have continued aboard the ship similar to our regular, full Sea Day itineraries including children's programs and full dining options. Entertainment includes live music on deck, as well as a variety of bars and lounges. Last night, we arranged for three-time Grammy winner Jon Secada to perform two shows in the ship's main lounge.

Wednesday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. We have arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Background

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship's backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is working on. On Wednesday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship's propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours Wednesday evening. All facilities are fully operational and have been since approximately 12.30am Thursday.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Yup...sounds like a NIGHTMARE :rolleyes:. I wish I was there :(:D:p

Examples? Pictures? Something? Not saying you are wrong, but I would like to see an example.

DSCF4484_zps7aa2930f.jpg

DSCF4534_zps6e844525.jpg

I don't know if what I've been hearing in the media has been mutating my thought process (very possible) and therefore making something look not as attractive as it should be but just given what I saw I formulated my opinion. For all I know I just could be wrong.

Was afraid of posting, didn't want to get flamed...sorry if I stirred the pot too much :-/

Tutankhamen and Seago, can you kindly take your passport criticisms to the Dream passport thread, to avoid cluttering this one. I will be happy to debate with you there. Thank you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1807725

Really not interested in debating the passport issue. Not much to debate. I carry a Passport when traveling abroad. I recommend others to carry a passport when traveling abroad. I do not know, or really care to know the consequences of not carrying a passport abroad.

I shared all I care to share on the topic. But thanks for the invitation.

Does any one know the answer to this? There are people who will never step foot on a air plane. They dirve everwhere and they take a homeport cruise because they don't have to fly. Now, with the ship in St Maarten, are they giving people who don't fly (for what ever reason) another way (by ship) to get back to the US.

DSCF4484_zps7aa2930f.jpg

DSCF4534_zps6e844525.jpg

I don't know if what I've been hearing in the media has been mutating my thought process (very possible) and therefore making something look not as attractive as it should be but just given what I saw I formulated my opinion. For all I know I just could be wrong.

Was afraid of posting, didn't want to get flamed...sorry if I stirred the pot too much :-/

She looks beautiful to me. I was on her in 2009 and looking forward to being on her again in August. Personally she is my favorite Carnival ship.

DSCF4484_zps7aa2930f.jpg

DSCF4534_zps6e844525.jpg

Thanks for posting. That second ship looks old and patched worked together with the "floating balconies."

2 years ago, before my first Carnival cruise, I too looked at Carnivals ships and thought they looked cheap and in some cases a little long in the tooth. So I do agree with you.

I will say that I loved my first Carnival cruise on the Dream. That is why I am now booked on the Dream for May. If I had the option, at this point I would cancel and book with another line.

Does any one know the answer to this? There are people who will never step foot on a air plane. They dirve everwhere and they take a homeport cruise because they don't have to fly. Now, with the ship in St Maarten, are they giving people who don't fly (for what ever reason) another way (by ship) to get back to the US.

I haven't seen any reference to this. Hopefully, it won't come up.

What about the ships made them look run down? Was it rusty hulls? That happens to all ships all the time and they have to repaint frequently. Other than that, I am not sure what - seen at a distance - would indicate aship is run down.

A few weeks ago I wa son HAL's Eurodam and it looked fine, yet in Curacao they were painting the side of the ship. Following a similar itinerary as us was the Caribbean Princess and I noticed it had a lot of rust that needed to be fixed.

What cruise line were you one, by the way?

U can post every article in the world

I'm talking to people on the boat right now.

And I hope there are more than 20... That'd not enough to get everyone home :)

I'mwaiting ffor the folks who said they would love to be stuck there for two days to respond

Or the ones who think the whole boat is on the beach.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'd be "stuck" there. Free food, accomodations set up and chillin on the beach waiting for my flight home, that they're scheduling for me. If you think I'd be running all over like a chicken in a damn hen house, worrying and fretting and acting like Chicken Little, you are out of your mind. Life is too damn short. No one was hurt, everyone will LIVE. Cuz see..this wouldn't be the first time I'd be forced to make lemonade with lemons. Getting to an airport at 4 am isn't much worse than coming into port at 6:00 am.

Tell the people on the boat to take a xanax

I haven't seen any reference to this. Hopefully, it won't come up.

with the sheer number of people on board, I would think there is a good chance that SOME may have a strong aversion to flying.

Of course they cut back on maintenance and training, otherwise you wouldn't have these ships breaking down. With the Dream, it's uncalled for that they don't have someone there to assist them in "fixing" the back-up generator.

So, every time we get on a Carnival cruise you better hope they don't need to pull over because there will be no one there to fix it!

Yes because when something happens a mechanic waves his magic wand and then the problem is solved. :)

They could have every part and person aboard needed to fix the generator, this doesn't mean it gets fixed because the people are there (it may take time)... Also as our resident engineer stated earlier, it is impossible to carry a backup of every piece on the ship... So they may have flown a part in or a person in to fix it.

Archived