CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

If they are docked - Why are they(carnival) allowed to keep the passengers on the ship?

It is completely at the Captain's discretion whether to allow passengers to disembark the vessel, at any time, on any cruise, at any port. The only caveat to that, is unless the Captain can prove that the disembarkation process is unsafe, a passenger can freely disembark in their country of citizenship.

There is someone on the phone with CNN right now. He seems very reasonable. They are still in St. Maarten. He reports power is (and has been) on, however elevators have been off most of the time and toilets weren't working until after midnight but they are now. Toilets in public areas were overflowing.

His biggest complaint seems to be the lack of communication. He also said that when a group of passengers went to guest services, there was no manager on duty, when one finally appeared he knew nothing about the situation and didn't believe the passengers about teh overflowing toilets. When the caller offered to take the manager to show him, the manager refused.

Again, it's not always that there is a problem, but how you manage it. Transparent communication is crucial in a situation like this--and Carnival is falling short in that department. Again.

Would a passenger(s) have the option of debarking the ship if they so choose and not risk sailing back with the ship when it is finally fixed. I think some passengers (with passports) would take that option and it should be offered...

Apparently not. CNN just interviewed a man on board who said nobody is being allowed off the ship.

If they are docked - Why are they(carnival) allowed to keep the passengers on the ship?

As soon as the ship is repaired, they will depart immediately, to get back to Port Canaveral only a day late.

If they let people leave the ship, they would have to wait for them to return or leave some behind. (then people would blame Carnival for letting them off the boat and somebody getting left behind)

The ship has power and toilets and food.

They would be "trapped" (a CNN term) right now, on the ship for two sea days heading back to Port Canaveral anyway.

Bill

It is completely at the Captain's discretion whether to allow passengers to disembark the vessel, at any time, on any cruise, at any port. The only caveat to that, is unless the Captain can prove that the disembarkation process is unsafe, a passenger can freely disembark in their country of citizenship.

In a case where local authorities do not allow it, the word of the Captain is meaningless.

But I dont think that is the case here. I suspect their intentions are to get underway as soon as they can. Since they do not know exactly when that will be, there is no time for which to instruct the passengers to return.

There is someone on the phone with CNN right now. He seems very reasonable. They are still in St. Maarten. He reports power is (and has been) on, however elevators have been off most of the time and toilets weren't working until after midnight but they are now. Toilets in public areas were overflowing.

His biggest complaint seems to be the lack of communication. He also said that when a group of passengers went to guest services, there was no manager on duty, when one finally appeared he knew nothing about the situation and didn't believe the passengers about teh overflowing toilets. When the caller offered to take the manager to show him, the manager refused.

Again, it's not always that there is a problem, but how you manage it. Transparent communication is crucial in a situation like this--and Carnival is falling short in that department. Again.

I agree...just tell me whats going on...silence is not Golden....just makes people pissed

Very well put. I know on airplanes the emergency batts are designed to kick on once there's a predetermined trip point on the Essential Bus (loss of voltage). The reason for the short on the essential bus could be a component short that's shorting the bus that's causing the backup (emergency power) to flicker intermittently. They should have some sort of a maintenace data acquisition unit that captures exceedances & faults within the system. They may be "dead in the water" bc they're awaiting parts & then troubleshooting time. Not to mention tear down time to access the component. It could very easily take 4 hrs just to gain access to the problem not to mention removal, replacement & wringing out the system. Who gives a crap that they're in port an extra day. At least they're trying to make the ship safe again before they put you in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean....freaking morons.

And besides you people act like if power isn't going to the toilets then it shouldn't go to the big screen. Not all power is on the same electrical bus. Doesn't work that way. You can turn on the radio in your car off of the battery without the car running so by your logic your AC should work too. Not true. You have to have the alternator running.

chengkp75 -

Thanks for the great info! Based on your experience and the info that is out there now, will the ship sail back to port in the U.S. under "full power" / maximum speed or will it have to reduce its speed to be safe and, thus, getting home much later than anticipated?

Hmmm... 'multiple' passengers (from a ship capable of holding 5,000) have reported .....? No record from Coast Guard ....

Why am I a little suspicious of the credibility of this actually happening?

'

They are saying the Coast Guard is not involved as the ship is currently docked. They are not letting passengers off the ship. That was the last report I heard this morning....CNN

In a case where local authorities do not allow it, the word of the Captain is meaningless.

But I dont think that is the case here. I suspect their intentions are to get underway as soon as they can. Since they do not know exactly when that will be, there is no time for which to instruct the passengers to return.

You are of course correct that the local authorities trump the Captain, but I was not going there as the ship had disembarked guests the previous day. And yes, it's all a question of rounding up the loose chickens when the ship is fixed. Particularly with 3-4 other ships in port, just sounding the horn would not work.

Well stated. Glad we already decided to go with another cruise line in January. I can appreciate the possibility of mechanical problems on any vessel but telling the passengers little to nothing is unacceptable. :(

And he ironically was a passenger on the triumph calling CNN to complain. Irony??? I'm suspicious.

I caught the report from HLN...they said passengers on the Dream contacted CNN to report ..

Why would passengers call the news media??...I know I dont keep CNN phone number on speed dial....if i were a passenger my last thought would be to call the media...maybe the coast guard,or carnival...

Of course CNN jumped right on it because its news to them.

I wonder how some think news works. They just don't fall onto stories. Usually they are alerted to a story and they decide to run it or not.

If I had a story, a simple google would get me a number.

Who care's what CNN say's, The say so many thing's that are not fact's about half there report's are fact less. There like weather men, Right half the time. Media is always looking to make thing's larger than they are for more hipe and rating's they way.

No the naysayers are going to say it is safer to stay on the ship then try to get off the ship to land on a ship with no power. and then to travel the streets of St maarten would be really dangerous they could DIE. They are better off to stay on the ship with no toilets or power.

Ok got that out,

I have not read all the posts on this thread, are the passengers alowed or able to get off the ship, with out the "ding" thing to let them off or on,

Or are just the passengers with passports alowd to get off? because they can verify it by hand if needed?

Did you miss the part where they do have power and toilets???

I think Carnival should allow cruisers off the ship. They will have a long, possibly slower than normal cruise back home and i'm sure anxiety is high. To keep thousands on board solely so they can leave ASAP after being stranded for 24 hours is not good customer service IMO. Unless they knew the issue would be fixed by noon or so, at 8am they could have let everyone off and told them to return at 3pm.

IT's already a big inconvenience. don't further inconvenience customers to save a few $$.

I've had several cruises with carnival but i think i may officially retire. Realizing others human waste probably is on my bathroom floor more often than i care to realize and may or may not get effectively sanitized in the 3-4 minutes it is cleaned is unappealing. But i did enjoy my cruises (after ignoring the downgrade in quality)

chengkp75 -

Thanks for the great info! Based on your experience and the info that is out there now, will the ship sail back to port in the U.S. under "full power" / maximum speed or will it have to reduce its speed to be safe and, thus, getting home much later than anticipated?

The problem appears (I'm not there with my hands in the switchboard) to be with the emergency generator. That would not preclude the vessel from steaming at full speed. That is simply a function of having all of the main generators available (probably 5 or 6). The local maritime authorities in St. Maartin may be preventing the ship from sailing due to the faulty emergency generator, as this is a SOLAS violation. It may be Carnival's decision to not sail without an emergency generator. The insurance underwriter's surveyor (Lloyds, DNV, etc) may not allow the ship to sail without revoking the insurance.

My best guess (guess!) is that the ship will remain there until the problem is fixed and tested, and will then proceed to Port Canaveral at full speed. How long to fix? Unknown from this distance.

Archived