CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Carnival, you're falling apart. I can't help but think with all these budget cuts they made (no live band by pool, entertainment production cuts, etc.) that they also probably cut their maintenance budget. The only way we knew about the other cuts is we could see them. We have no way to know what else was cut to save money, but with all these maintenance problems we are seeing I think it's obvious something is wrong and the ships are not being maintained like they used to be.

I've taken charter flights and didn't need a ticket. So I think rules are different on who can fly on private flights. Not to mention there's no other option. I can't imagine St. Marteen being difficult with a top industry company.

The problem is not having a passport getting off the plane at MCO. They will be allowed in, however there will most likely be additional screenings and delays for those without passports. As there should be.

Just saw a post that someone on the 16th cruise was called this morning that their cruise has been cancelled. Full refund and travel expenses along with 25% off a future cruise.

Saw this post:

Update on Carnival Dream

March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.

Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Finding it funny that so many are defending Carnival....would you defend a restaurant that served salmonella twice in three weeks? Or a car company that sent out dying engines twice in a month?

Yeah, stuff happens, but people put a lot of money into these vacations.....and frankly put their lives on the safety on the boats....to me it is inexcusable...so from HERE on out if you go Carnival, DO NOT COMPLAIN, if something happens...YOU are AWARE.

Manufcturing? Hmm.. not sure about that one. The Triumph was built in 1999. The Dream is pretty new.

I am starting to think someone is sabtoging (sp?) Carnival ships...:confused:

I am booked for the Victory this fall... Triumphs sister ship... and have heard she was having propulsion issues... wonder if I should hold off on booking that airfare... or perhaps make sure it is capatible with a cruise on another line? I am sure the other cruise lines will start selling out:(

It's far more likely that Carnival is simply not maintaining their ships properly. Unless Carnival can start to show otherwise, some might start comparing the company (or at least the Carnival line) as being a slum lord who cares nothing about maintenance and only the money it can squeeze out of people.

I think they should receive a FULL refund, not just a 3 day refund.

but if they get the full refund then Carnival would have to use the little light thingy from Men in Black to remove all the memories from the passengers for the first 4 days of the cruise. If they did not pay, they don't get to have the memories.

I did not think the Triumph passengers needed a full refund either, they only lost one day of the cruise, and it was a sea day.

Then they did need compensated for the extra days on the ship.

I disagree. They had a good cruise, everyone should be back at the time they were supposed to be, no one will have any additional expenses (if they do, CCL should pick them up.)

I think that CCL does need to open the bars for a few hours or something though as a show of goodwill.

Yeah they only lost two sea days...

The cruise was over and by flying everybody back, at least the folks with passports should be back, BEFORE they were set to arrive Saturday morning.

I'm sure even those without passports will get out sometime later and probably still get back before Saturday morning.

Plus, reporter on board just told CNN they are being let off the ship to enjoy an extra day in St. Martin, while Carnival gets logistics straight about flying everyone home...

This is unfortunate, but my opinion is starting to waiver. I loved everything about the two cruises I've had with them, but my family was considering an October cruise. I'm fine dealing with changes, delays, and such, but having a toddler when situations arrive is a whole different story.

Carnival just called and said it was cancelled. Full refund, travel expenses, and 25% on next cruise. All we can do now is roll with the punches.

bummer, I was looking forward to your next review. Sorry about your cruise, have you looked at rebooking?

I can't recall an incident where a cruise line has flown their pax back to port on charters... can anyone remember such an incident? This is certainly precedent setting. Also, the contract allows CCL to just "dump" you anywhere, doesn't it?

Note to self- always bring passport and buy GOOD insurance coverage.

Monarch of the Seas (RCI) grounded in St. Martin at the end of 1998 while going into Marigot for an emergency medical situation and put a hole in the ship. RCI sent chartered planes to take the passengers back to San Juan, where Monarch was home ported at the time.

Al these incidents (SPLENDOR; COSTA CONCORDIA; TRIUMPH; DREAM)

are essentially on the same class of ship (dating back to 1996) and all built by Fincantieri.

Yes Carnival likes to call them a different class, but slapping on additional decks of cabins does not equate to a new class of ship in my book.

The basic general arrangement of all these ships dates back to CARNIVAL DESTINY.

Using this same design over and over again for so many years seemed like the smart thing to do from a financial perspective,

but it may come back to bite Carnival in the ass!

You got that right!

Our first cruise was DESTINY.

Other cruises on VICTORY and GLORY too

and we've had zero problem with learning our way around each of those ships

because they are all the same except for very minor details

"Gerry Cahill, president and C.E.O. of Carnival Cruise Lines, spoke further on the topic with the Miami Herald and revealed more about the review process and future improvements. His message: Low fares aside, Carnival will not "skimp" on safety."

Really!!! Mr. Cahill then went on to say that building redundant systems on cruise ships may be to expensive, but they would consider it if other cruise ships did it.

I though that Carnival, being the biggest was supposed to be an innovator.

Individuals who run Carnival should realize that while they have the right and certainly make money, the safety of their passengers come first.

Kudos, to this reporter, Kris Anderson, who keeps talking to CNN by phone and actually giiving factual information, about how it is NOT that bad on the ship. (must be driving CNN crazy. Don't know why they keep talking to him. LOL)

Glad he also stated that he understands that if the toilets are broken and it is just like at home, if you keep flushing a non functioning toilet, it will overflow....LOL

Too bad some many people do not understand that.

Bill

Too bad I'm not on that ship, it'd give me an opportunity to go shopping and see my friends at the jewelry shop. ;(

I'd rather be in port than in the middle of the ocean.

Only thing is, it's being reported that the captain is not allowing people off the ship for "accountability" purposes.

Very well put. I know on airplanes the emergency batts are designed to kick on once there's a predetermined trip point on the Essential Bus (loss of voltage). The reason for the short on the essential bus could be a component short that's shorting the bus that's causing the backup (emergency power) to flicker intermittently. They should have some sort of a maintenace data acquisition unit that captures exceedances & faults within the system. They may be "dead in the water" bc they're awaiting parts & then troubleshooting time. Not to mention tear down time to access the component. It could very easily take 4 hrs just to gain access to the problem not to mention removal, replacement & wringing out the system. Who gives a crap that they're in port an extra day. At least they're trying to make the ship safe again before they put you in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean....freaking morons.

And besides you people act like if power isn't going to the toilets then it shouldn't go to the big screen. Not all power is on the same electrical bus. Doesn't work that way. You can turn on the radio in your car off of the battery without the car running so by your logic your AC should work too. Not true. You have to have the alternator running.

Totally lost credibility when saying your AC in your car needs the alternator. Totally not true. Your car ac needs the engine running because the compressor is belt driven from the engine. Has nothing to do with the alternator.

Archived