CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

just announced - dream will not sail next week, flying everyone home

Dream will not sail 3/16 cruise.

The OP is sailing on 3/23!

OP you should just wait on Carnival to release something about your sailing. Theres no known time how long the issue will take to fix.

Like taking off out of Logan. Short runway that ends in the water.

Actually departing flights at Maho back up right to the fence by the water and take off straight at the mountain ahead of them. (this is where the morons stand to get knocked across the street by the jetwash)

Almost as awesome as watching the planes land over the beach.

:::head smack::: They don't need a passport to board the flight. They need the passport to clear through INS when they return to the US. I don't see anything being waived, I see a lot of extra screening and long lines for those without passports.

Isn't there a waiver of some sort required to board since a passport is required for international air travel? Or does that never apply to charter flights?

For example, some people do not have passports because they are legal residents of the U.S. and have not obtained U.S. Citizenship.

Then they would have non-US passports and visas or green cards to return to the US.

From CCL facebook:

"We know there have been questions on the conditions onboard Carnival Dream last night and wanted to update you. We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning."

I have noticed some of the same people who do not sail with Carnival but still want to put in their negative 2 cents worth are showing up here again. If you have no dog in the right why are you here except to stir up trouble?

Didn't know that this thread was only open to past CCL cruisers.

I am here b/c what happens to CCL affects the whole industry since they are the largest cruise line.

And, FYI, I do not wish CCL ill.

No, the Olive Garden in St. Maarten was serving up Salmonella laced food. Carnival won't allow anyone back on the ship that ate there. The passengers without their passports are now stuck eating Olive Garden food through the weekend until they get special clearance from Customs.

But only if they have passports!

From Carnival:

We know there have been questions on the conditions onboard Carnival Dream last night and wanted to update you. We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Sounds like PR BS to me to try and repair their already ruined public image. Read between the lines and notice they chose their words carefully. The truth will come out when people get back to the US with pics and video. I find it hard to believe only ONE stateroom bathroom on the whole ship had problems. The system doesn't work that way.

From CCL facebook:

"We know there have been questions on the conditions onboard Carnival Dream last night and wanted to update you. We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning."

Good communication by CCL addressing the root of the matter. It seems their PR has improved since the Triumph.

We are on 3/23 sailing as well. Just talked to a very helpful rep at Carnival to ask her our options and she said as of right now, only 3/16 cancelled and to keep an eye on email as we would get notified ASAP if they thought the 3/23 may be affected. Hope that's true. I want to make other back-up arrangements ASAP! :(

Hopefully everyone gets back home safely, and the ship is repaired properly (properly, more than quickly), so that it can return to service. I'm leaving on the Pride on Sunday, and booked the Breeze last night for August. Hopefully, they'll have all the issues with propulsion and back up generators resolved quickly.

This would be a lot easier to read if everyone would read all of the postings before posting the same thing over and over. I started ready this and there were nine pages, before I got done, there were 33 and most of the postings were clips that had been posted numerous times already.

I've seem some amatuer cheerleaders but in the first five or six pages I haven't seen any really good shills yet. Somebody in the social media department is asleep while on duty.

Me, I'm trying to decide between Holland America and Celebrity for next year's cruise. If you MUST sail the big C, try the Ecstasy, we had a great time and she's already been on fire once, so the odds are with you. :eek:

W-T-H!!!!

LMAO!

speechless!:D:D

We are on 3/23 sailing as well. Just talked to a very helpful rep at Carnival to ask her our options and she said as of right now, only 3/16 cancelled and to keep an eye on email as we would get notified ASAP if they thought the 3/23 may be affected. Hope that's true. I want to make other back-up arrangements ASAP! :(

Good luck you guys - fingers crossed for you that all is well by then....

Why? They aren't suffering. They first half of their cruise was fine, it just got cut short.

What gall, MissKIA.

They rearranged their life and work schedule, paid for a FULL CRUISE, and what will be by far the overriding memory of it? IT WAS THE CRUISE THAT BROKE DOWN AND STRANDED US.

They didn't get even NEAR what they bargained for, yet you begrudge them a refund? What gall, MissKIA.

This would be a lot easier to read if everyone would read all of the postings before posting the same thing over and over. I started ready this and there were nine pages, before I got done, there were 33 and most of the postings were clips that had been posted numerous times already.

I just skipped about 25 pages as I have a job, lol... :D

I'll just say that flying all guests home, giving partial credit, future cruise discount, and cancelling the next sailing was a tough but necessary call on Carnival's part.

Tom

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Freaking out! We are supposed to sail March 23 on the Dream. What do you think our chances are?

I feel terrible for those who have had their vacation cut short and for those who were supposed to board this Saturday. :(

Can you say guinea pig!!!! Good Luck.

Why is that a stupid question? Some would answer either way. And have.

Nobody should cruise again because of what happened on the Triumph? Seriously? Is that logical? How many cruises a week go out and people have a flawless vacation. One cruise has a problem, so CNN implys that people shouldn't take a cruise. Absolute nonsense!

They are flying everyone home, however we don't know how that will be handled. I suspect that those without passports will have to work with the US Embassy to obtain temporary passports. This is not likely an expense to be covered by CCL. Even if they are allowed in without passports, they will be subjected to additional scrutiny and security measures--as they should be.

I would think that the bottleneck will occur when passengers without passports have to go through immingration after landing in the US.

Since Carnival has to turn in a lsit of passengers to Homeland Security before the cruise sails, I would guess that the immigration workers at the airport could be given acopy of that list. I would hope they have separate lines for those with and without passports so passengers with the foresight to ahve passports do not get needlessly held up.

They need to be held accountable. Their preventative maintenance program isn't working - this is either just bad timing or a sign of things to come.

Actually, if you read the latest updates, Carnival states that the malfunction ocurred during "planned routine maintenance". This is sounding more and more to me as a problem with closing the emergency switchboard circuit breaker, and keeping it closed. Ships are required to start the emergency generator weekly for testing, and to "place it on line", in other words to actually power the emergency circuits (which on a day to day basis are powered by the main switchboard instead) to confirm the automatic start up and operation of the emergency generator. This is usually done close to midday in port (when pax count onboard is very low as there is a momentary loss of power, about 45 seconds).

So it seems that during this planned preventative maintenance (which is a SOLAS as well as USCG regulation), and the only time that the automation can be tested, the equipment failed. Glad to know it did during testing, not when needed.

While Carnival's problems may indeed stem back to improper maintenance from cost cutting, etc, I can't say. What I can say is that from 37 years experience on ships that this kind of failure during testing is not at all uncommon. Despite most cruise ships carrying millions of dollars of spare parts onboard (and yes to the poster who asked, there is an engineering department onboard), you cannot have one of everything, and obviously they don't have the part needed, and are flying it or a technician from the equipment manufacturer in to fix it.

I know this thread will have grown by at least two pages while I've been typing this, but hopefully those who are interested can find it!

Yes, watch out for those Misc Ships.

Those would be the European and smaller cruise lines. There are a lot more of them than the average American is aware of. Viking has double the number of ships that Carnival has. Put together all the river cruise ships and it's more than Carnival Corp has.

Archived