CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Well reading this thread has definitely helped my work day to pass quickly.

I'm sorry to hear about the upcoming cruise cancellation, and to the people that this latest event has affected.

OAN: Bon Voyage has definitely sealed the deal for me! Our stateroom MUST be properly equipped with Vodka now!:D

I know they have already cancelled this Saturdays upcoming cruise and my heart aches for those passengers. Does Anyone with knowledge know how long it could take to fix or replace a backup generator? I am suppose to cruise on the dream in 16 days and I really hope they have it fixed - correctly - by then.

Here's my take..... I'm on a beautiful island. I call my boss... sorry dude. Have to wait till the ship is fixed. Find out if I can stay on the ship while repairs are going on if not.. here's where I'll be staying. Call me when your ready to ship out. Sip some cocktails.. Go to the French side and explore. Lemon.... lemonade. I'd rather be "stranded" here even though I have a passport then go back to work.

This is just me....

I read in an article about the people on the Costa Concordia and how they all flew home without passports because of the special circumstances. And, they all HAD passports but they where on the sunken ship.

The vast majority were Europeans that were flying within the Schengen area, so no passports would have been needed to begin with. The Americans on that ship were assisted by the US Embassy in Italy, and were issued passports in Rome before returning back to the US.

Ummmm....carnival just released a statement saying that ONE public bathroom had a toilet overflow and ONE cabin had an incident with a toilet overflow. That doesn't sound like "human waste everywhere" in my book.

Quite odd they chose that to be a press release. Next they will be saying everyone has been fed?

Why? They aren't suffering. They first half of their cruise was fine, it just got cut short.

You go to a restaurant and your salad and entree are fine but there is a cockroach in your cake. The first 2/3 of your meal was fine but a good restaurant will not charge you for the entire meal.

You go to a restaurant and your salad and entree are fine but there is a cockroach in your cake. The first 2/3 of your meal was fine but a good restaurant will not charge you for the entire meal.

How many people vacation in a restaurant?

I agree, but at some point Carnival is going to run out of cash. If they do not stop the trend, things for Carnival are going to go down the toilet. Pun intended.

Like I said, exceptions can be made just like they did for the people on the Costa Concordia.

There were no exceptions made for the Americans on the Concordia. They were all issued new passports in Rome before they were repatriated. It was not a pleasant experience by all accounts.

Sorry, but Carnival is stirring up their own trouble, not the posters on this site. Second, this is cruise news and anyone who wants to comment on the matter is welcome to. And are you on this ship right now? No? Then, according to you, what dog do you have in this fight allowing you to comment?

And like the Triumph, non Carnival cruisers come to the Carnival board and make stuff up, act like experts, embellish, spin, etc. In the end, like the Triumph, it will be fact that these haters were 95% wrong about everything they said.

In all my 29 years of cruising, it's highly unusual to have two major events in less than two months on the same cruise line. I honestly don't remember anything like this happening before. And, we leave for another cruise on the Legend next Saturday. Not feeling completely "worry free" anymore when cruising whether it be CCL, RCCL, Princess, NCL , etc. (Concordia was a wakeup call for me on taking safety for granted on any cruise line).

What a PR nightmare for CCL.

Patti

The cheerleaders say the stranded ones "are in a Paradise!".

CNN says: The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel -- despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Lets hear it, CCL Cheerleaders. We are waiting...

Has anyone but you suggested the Dream passengers are in Paradise?

A single passenger has reported a "nightmare". Of the on air heads at CNN one has been on a cruise, which they didn't like. No other cruise experience. See the Carnival press releases for their side of the story. Frankly I believe the facts Carnival reports much more than a disgruntled passenger's "nightmare".

People were kept aboard while the situation was sorted out with St Maarten authorities et al. Had they been permitted to go ashore before that they would have had to meet landing requirements for non-cruise ship visitors since they no longer fit the exception. (We don't even know if the authorities would have allowed passengers ashore.) Couple that with the fact that letting everyone scatter before having sorted out how people were going to get home would have created a logistical nightmare.

Had nothing gone wrong passengers would have had to stay aboard since the ship would have been at sea.

It's a sad way to end a vacation. Certainly anyone contemplating a Carnival itinerary is going to think twice given the number of cancellations due to technical problems this year. But it is truly not a nightmare.

that is why I eat the cake first, let the roach be in the salad ! :D

:rolleyes:

The cheerleaders say the stranded ones "are in a Paradise!".

CNN says: The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel -- despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Lets hear it, CCL Cheerleaders. We are waiting...

I'm far from a CCL cheerleader, but I've got to say...

Today was supposed to be a sea day for them. Right now they are all doing exactly what they would have been doing, just instead of being "at sea" they are in port. They are being fed. They have electric. The toilets are working, the pools and bars are open. I'm just not seeing the problem.

If you are not reconsidering a Carnival cruise, or worried about your upcoming cruise, I admire your ignorance.

I am currently booked on the Dream, on the wrong side of the cancellation window. Had this happened last week, I would be canceling my cruise.

If someone is aware of this situation, it's not ignorance. :D

I'm booked on Dream for July, and have no intentions of canceling. I'll take the chance and will count on no major issues - maybe we'll have issues, but the odds are certainly in my favor that we won't.

DWJOE: However, would it have made you feel better if Carnival had said "the shunt trip coil on the emergency bus tie circuit breaker is malfunctioning due to an unusual ground detected in the buffet line waffle maker outlets?" (humorous example). I get pretty technical on here, and I think most people skip my posts because of it, but believe me when I say that I could fill pages with technical jargon that wouldn't mean diddle to anyone but a marine engineer.

I wonder if they really do have a 59GS trip for their bus ties? Would make sense, except for the shunt trip part - most likely to just open the trip coil and maybe lock out the affected bus with an 86 relay. Shipboard electrical systems can get tricky due to their grounding schemes. A phase-to-phase short seems more likely, depending on their transformer connection.

And like the Triumph, non Carnival cruisers come to the Carnival board and make stuff up, act like experts, embellish, spin, etc. In the end, like the Triumph, it will be fact that these haters were 95% wrong about everything they said.

95%? Like what?

Unfortunately this isn't always the case. Ate a a Michelin 1* in Napa last year, one of the people in my party found a live critter in the veggies sprinkled on top of her entree. The only thing comped was the entree.

I'm far from a CCL cheerleader, but I've got to say...

Today was supposed to be a sea day for them. Right now they are all doing exactly what they would have been doing, just instead of being "at sea" they are in port. They are being fed. They have electric. The toilets are working, the pools and bars are open. I'm just not seeing the problem.

Exactly.

Carnival, you're falling apart. I can't help but think with all these budget cuts they made (no live band by pool, entertainment production cuts, etc.) that they also probably cut their maintenance budget. The only way we knew about the other cuts is we could see them. We have no way to know what else was cut to save money, but with all these maintenance problems we are seeing I think it's obvious something is wrong and the ships are not being maintained like they used to be.

YOU get the prize!!!!! You nailed it perfectly....I mean, what are the chances that all of this is just a "coincidence"? YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!!!

I just noticed I have more posts that Ducklite on this thread, so I might have to reread for her to catch up. :p

but with your posts you dont know everything about everything unlike another poster on this thread;):p

Archived