CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Seems I might be in the minority here, but if I were on this particular cruise, I would not be THAT upset. IF what is being reported is correct.

It is now being reported the one public bathroom flooded. Fine, can happen anytime. Only one guest cabin requested clean-up. Only one? Toilets & elevators were not working for a short period of time. I can handle that.

The cruise was almost over. They're missing one sea day. They are being flown home at no expense of their own. They are allowed off the ship in the beautiful St. Maarten. They also arranged complimentary water taxis to explore other areas of the island.

They are receiving a refund for THREE days of cruising. And 50% discount on future cruise.

That's just me............. (and don't you dare call me a cheerleader:eek:)

Y'all talk about passports here like you're arguing over whether god exists or who should be President

Why not get a passport? It's not that hard, and it can't hurt

On the flip side, why do you need other people to have passports so bad?

Jeez. Like the US is going to refuse reentry to 2000 people because their cruise ship broke down. "You're out of luck, sir, have a nice life, good luck finding a job in Mexico"

Say what you want to, but it will be a logistical nightmare for most cruisers trying to get home now. Your last days of relaxation are being spent trying to figure out how to get home - how to make flight connections, etc. . I know that would be my first priority. It wouldn't be sitting on a beach sipping a tropical drink. Guarantee Carnival will start flying passengers out ASAP, so those that were looking forward to relaxing for two sea days are screwed. I would definately try to make lemonade out of lemons, but it won't be fun to begin with.

Per Carnival:

"All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs."

Sounds like Carnival will be setting it all up, I hope that is the case.

I have only been here a few days but I think it is safe to say that some of the authors here are the kings and queens of conspiracy. They are engineers, lawyers, immigration officers, company CEOs and the biggest cruise experts in the world and are armed with a big wooden spoon. I thought classic car enthusiasts were bad enough but my God this web site is ......................I dont have the right words.

There are no tests, IQ's, or level of expertise required to be a member here. The oweness of what you believe rests with the reader. Any statement can be challenged, and often is.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy. This is all for entertainment. Yours.

You're welcome to go back to the threads on here that exposed CNN, including many from people who were on the ship.

CNN and other news were mostly factual. Sure there are some deniers on the ship itself that say their toilet worked, therefore everything was fine on the ship.

There's a contingent here that defends Carnival no matter what beyond all reason. I figure just ignore them. Look at this thread with folks not believing there was yet another incident on a Carnival ship.

I guess they heard you, per Carnival:

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports.

That doesn't mean that those without passports won't face longer waits and scrutiny when they reach the US. Frankly if the INS people just let them all through without additional screening, it makes me really question their policies.

Carnival is just a crap cruise line.

I hate to say it because they were once great. But it is what it is.

I actually enjoy all my cruises on Carnival just as I do the cruises I take on Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and HAL. I would not keep spending my vacation money a "crap cruise line" if that were the case.

The Vision of the Seas recently had a significant Noro problem that was in the news. Is RCCL a "crap cruise line" because some of their ships have been affected by the Noro virus lately? I mean I'd rather be stuck in a port than stuck in my room sick with Noro any time.

Lastly, cruise ships are moving, working machines and malfunctions happen from time to time. If I remember correctly, there were a few ships in the last few years that have had major engine troubles (azipod problems) causing ships to be late to ports and even some cancelled forcing impromptu dry docks. Recently, the Celebrity Reflection had a problem with one of its generators causing the ship to miss a port on its transatlantic and sail at reduced speed to Florida. The problem was later fixed a couple of months later.

The point is, these problems have happened and will continue to happen from time to time. Although the timing is unfortunate for Carnival, there is no reason to write them off.

Update on Carnival Dream

March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.

Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Per Carnival:

"All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral

Actually it's not, but that's probably a different thread.

They paid for a 7 day cruise and getting a 4 day cruise and you think "it's generous that they are compensating them at all"???

don't know where you are getting 4 day cruise. They were only 2 sea days left of 7 days before any problems. The ship is still feeding them as normal as far as I've heard. Probably shows are still going on too.

So, anyone anywhere on earth can get on an airplane in a foreign country bound for the USA without having a passport?

All the countries I have visited, I needed to present my passport to authories before getting to the departure area. Europe, South & Central America.

So, anyone anywhere on earth can get on an airplane in a foreign country bound for the USA without having a passport?

I doubt that.

As far as US INS and CBP is concerned, yes, they can. Otherwise people would need to show passports to board private jets, which just isn't the case. Those private jet passengers, just like all charter and commercial jet passengers, do need to produce a passport when they land on US soil.

Oi Vay:eek:

Just submitted a price protection form for my Dream cruise in June.....Now I know why it went down Again. Not gonna cancel...but I will be watching this closely.....final payment due April 8...want to see some smooth sailings before them. Boy...Carnival is having some bad luck lately:rolleyes:

Kerri

All the countries I have visited, I needed to present my passport to authories before getting to the departure area. Europe, South & Central America.

Maybe you missed my earlier post on that. It is not by direction of CBP or INS. It is a policy of the carrier. If they take you to another country and you are denied entry for lack of a valid passport, it is their responsibility to repatriate you. Rather than take on that expense, they check your passport ahead of allowing you to board.

As Mark Twain said: "the reports of my death have been great exaggerated."

And as for CNN, they rarely, if ever get the facts straight! And that is no exaggeration and has been proven time and again. If they don't like the truth, they make it up as they go along.

This is just a very small incident that will be taken care of and should not be blown out of all preportion....and I am not a Carni fan either:cool: I do feel sorry for those whose next cruise has been canceled though.

I makes me happy when I read all the posts how "I will never sail Carnival again" and "That's the last straw" and so on.

That's great news. Less mongs to deal with.

Good riddance.

Be careful what you are looking for. Vacancies are filled with cheap fares. Cheap fares attracts cheap cruisers. This will be the people to the left and right of you.

Boeing currently has several really large jets "sitting around idle" that could remedy the situation . . . unfortunately their current maintenance is about equal to Carnival's.

Not a maintenance issue, but apparently poor design and/or incomplete/inadequate testing of the design. Boeing doesn't maintaint he a/c, its customers do.

So.... I bring a lot of stuff on cruises because I usually drive. So 4,000 plus people, many of whom have far more than the allowable weight of baggage... And I assume St. Maarten can't handle jumbo jets... What a logistical nightmare it's going to be to get everybody back home.

Nice spin. I am talking about people on the ship. Some posted here. Or, you can watch the CNN interviews of passengers as they got off the ship and CNN didn't get what they were looking for.

They got EXACTLY what they were looking for. High ratings.

Per Carnival:

"All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs."

Actually it's not, but that's probably a different thread.

I doubt there are too many, if any, direct flights from St Maarten to MLB or SFB so in that sense, MCO is the nearest gateway. And I would suspect that connections to most of the rest of the country are more convenient out of MCO. Probably where most who flew in for the cruise arrived too.

Archived