CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I feel so much better reading this from a member. (See below)

"Cruise Critic member Zen88, who's onboard, weighed in via an e-mail sent from her iPad. "All is great. Having the best vacation ever. Enjoying ALL of the free beverages and fun. News is a total lie. Flying back to Orlando tomorrow or Sat. Really awesome place to be stranded! People are great. Carnival has been great and ship is fully functional...."

I believe there are always mechanics on the ships...aren't there?? :confused:

I'd say more of maintenance guys, probably not certified generator mechanics that could say.. Change out a rod bearing and would probably require parts being carried to machine shop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

We're booked on the Dream for an August cruise. Not having any second thoughts. I guess when these ships run 24/7, some problems can happen.

I'm with you Chris sorry for the passengers who missed out but better now in port then out at sea when a backup would be needed

I feel so much better reading this from a member. (See below)

"Cruise Critic member Zen88, who's onboard, weighed in via an e-mail sent from her iPad. "All is great. Having the best vacation ever. Enjoying ALL of the free beverages and fun. News is a total lie. Flying back to Orlando tomorrow or Sat. Really awesome place to be stranded! People are great. Carnival has been great and ship is fully functional...."

I have a feeling that sentiment is echoed by many on that cruise. Just as I said earlier, I wouldn't be upset AT ALL. (Unless that one cabin that flooded was mine:o). So many drama queens on here who want to speculate & make it seem so much worse.

I mostly feel bad for those on the next cruise, which got cancelled.:(

What in the world?!?!

If you read the CC homepage story abut dream it states,

"According to the United States Coast Guard, the initial report concerning the ship's mechanical issues came directly from a passenger onboard."

HuH? Are you telling me it took a passenger calling the USCG to make action happen???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I know this thread has spun out of control like Topsy, but have you read any of the previous posts?

The USCG was not required to be notified, and was not in any way responsible "to make action happen". The crew was working on the problem all night (hence the power going on and off to the elevators, etc), and it only became an issue when it was not repaired at sailing time. Only at that time was it required that Carnival notify the port of St. Martin authorities that they had a problem with the emergency generator, and the St. Martin authorities would have first say whether they would allow the vessel to sail. If St. Martins said it was okay (and I doubt they did), then it falls on the ship's classification society (insurance underwriters) to say whether they will essentially continue insurance coverage if the ship sailed (which will normally stop the ship). The USCG can only decide what the ship can do is when it approaches US waters.

On Wednesday Carnival Dream passengers were able to spend the full day in St. Maarten, and had the option to continue doing so until their scheduled return home.

Passengers on the immobilized ship would receive a refund equal to three days of the cruise and a 50 percent discount off a future sailing.

Carnival stressed that all of the ship's hotel systems were functioning normally since 12:30 a.m. Thursday and that all passengers were "safe and comfortable."

Still it acknowledged there had been periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours Wednesday night but everything is working since then.

The cruise line said it was canceling the ship's March 16 sailing and would give passengers booked on that cruise a full refund plus a 25 percent discount on a future voyage.

You sounded like the "gray funnel line" with your questions!

Yup, sorta. No funnels on a 688 class submarine, but now I work at a power generating station that uses the same type of fuel as the submarine did.

I was really interested in taking a thorough engineroom tour on the one (civilian) cruise the DW insisted on (Carnival Ecstasy, 11/2010), but I am too much of a tightwad to pay for just a glimpse offered in the "Behind The Fun Tour". I spent a few years at NNSB&DD Co. too, and taught systems lectures on the aircraft carrier propulsion system/electrical power systems. That was enough to pique my interest in large marine power distribution.

One of us must be color blind. Perhaps it's me but I see it like this:

Orange - #1 by a long shot - Misc Ships

Gold - #2 - Royal

Red - #3 - Carnival

Silver/White - #4 - P&O

Purple - #5 - Princess

Yes, that's the way I see it too.

"Don't worry, be happy." I extend my heartfelt sympathies to all aboard the Dream. It won't be easy but you will survive. Enjoy your fellow passengers as there is no other event in life like adversity to instantly bring complete strangers together as friends. Take this rare opportunity to see the best in those around you. Ask for help, if you need it, and they will respond. Share your fears, worries, frustrations and joys and they will be there with you. Never in your life will you see your fellow human beings fill your heart with such warmth as you will now and in any other life-altering event. That was the greatest experience I took away from the Carnival Triumph and 5 days adrift at sea. Seize the day!

Ducklite - as the new immigration enforcement csar!

We need someone who finally cares about illegal immigration to be in charge and wring their hands incessantly every time it is suspected that someone may be entering our country without an extra-thorough special body cavity search.

I am sincere too. Here in Texas the illegal immigration problem is serious.

If these carnival ships were airliners they would be pulled from service until the problem could be solved, After all that is what happened with the dreamliner. There is obviously a technical or design issue with these generator systems and the problem needs to be solved.

Ships, especially cruise ships are designed to run 24x7, aircraft are not. Ships are incapable of falling out of the sky due to a malfunction, aircraft are not. Ships cancel voyages when it is not safe to sail, aircraft do the same. (I don't fly a lot, but I've had many flights cancelled due to equipment failure. Doesn't mean that all the aircraft should be grounded.)

Dream has two sister ships. United didn't ground all of its aircraft because of serious and repeated battery failures on 787s.

Suggesting that a fire is somehow similar to what happened on Dream is a real stretch.

Certainty of cause must be comforting. Perhaps an offer should be made to Carnival for expert assistance.

I'd say more of maintenance guys, probably not certified generator mechanics that could say.. Change out a rod bearing and would probably require parts being carried to machine shop.
You'd be amazed at what the "maintenance guys" on a ship can do. I have a wonderful picture of my son the engine cadet inside a piston of a ship's engine doing "maintenance." He's getting his Coast Guard License as a 3rd Assistant Engineer in a few months. And many large ships have a machine shop on board. At least that's the case with the ships my son has sailed.

Oh, I can relate. It gets dark inside a ship when the lights go out. I know that firsthand. Try maneuvering around a tight engineroom (688 class submarine) when the lights go out. It's sometimes better to just stay put until the lights are turned back on.

I would have expected the propulsion busses to unload (be stripped by UV-27 device) and hotel load/navigation/lighting busses to stay hotted-up, but I am not familiar with the bus layouts of commercial ships, nor their relaying strategy. We have layered trips, with succeeding levels of undervoltage bus tripping to keep important loads powered either by offsite power (345&138 KV/6.9KV), main generators (via xfmr 22.5KV/6.9KV) and finally EDG's (6.9KV). A;though our EDG's tend to be self-exciting, we also have a flashing circuit in the event rated voltage doesn't build up within 10 seconds of engine start and reaching 450 rpm.

Haven't heard talk like this since I retired. Nuclear plants have backup generators, typically 900rpm, that start on the loss of power to the 4160V safety bus (undervoltage/loss of voltage relays), plus a field flash circuit (125VDC) that initiates at 500rpm and cuts out when the bus is re-energized to provide excitation. Total time from start signal to full voltage on bus is 10 seconds or 15 seconds, depending on plant license. Each reactor has two totally redundant electrical systems, each with its own diesel generator that powers only the plant safety loads. Since most nuclear plants are powered from the grid, a loss of the electrical grid (e.g. hurricane Andrew) means all the diesels at the plant start at once. Very noisy.

Art

What in the world?!?!

If you read the CC homepage story abut dream it states,

"According to the United States Coast Guard, the initial report concerning the ship's mechanical issues came directly from a passenger onboard."

HuH? Are you telling me it took a passenger calling the USCG to make action happen???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dream was moored in St Maarten. There was no need or requirement to inform USCG of the issue at that time.

Not sure what action you are asking about.

You'd be amazed at what the "maintenance guys" on a ship can do. I have a wonderful picture of my son the engine cadet inside a piston of a ship's engine doing "maintenance." He's getting his Coast Guard License as a 3rd Assistant Engineer in a few months. And many large ships have a machine shop on board. At least that's the case with the ships my son has sailed.

People don't understand that the engineering department is a cross-trained entity. The average cruise ship department is about 50 people, who know how to maintain and repair everything onboard from the main generator engines to the smoothie machines in the bars. Mechanical, electrical, HVAC, sewage treatment, galley equipment, laundry equipment, fabricating parts in a machine shop, you name it.

I have always said that marine engineers are the "Maytag repairman", because when you are at sea, there is no one you can call on to fix something.

I will be willing to bet that a part failed that needs to be flown in to repair the emergency power system (note I did not specify the generator).

Haven't heard talk like this since I retired. Nuclear plants have backup generators, typically 900rpm, that start on the loss of power to the 4160V safety bus (undervoltage/loss of voltage relays), plus a field flash circuit (125VDC) that initiates at 500rpm and cuts out when the bus is re-energized to provide excitation. Total time from start signal to full voltage on bus is 10 seconds or 15 seconds, depending on plant license. Each reactor has two totally redundant electrical systems, each with its own diesel generator that powers only the plant safety loads. Since most nuclear plants are powered from the grid, a loss of the electrical grid (e.g. hurricane Andrew) means all the diesels at the plant start at once. Very noisy.

Art

Yup, two protected trains of power, but at 6.9KV (not the more popular 4160) and 10K horsepower EDG's (almost 8MW) at 450 rpm. Ten seconds to ready to load status, but loads are sequenced on to prevent overload.

Ducklite - as the new immigration enforcement csar!

We need someone who finally cares about illegal immigration to be in charge and wring their hands incessantly every time it is suspected that someone may be entering our country without an extra-thorough special body cavity search.

I am sincere too. Here in Texas the illegal immigration problem is serious.

Lol love it. Ducklite obviously does not have a real job as he has posted prob 50 times on this one post today.

I'm sure he is available.

does anyone know if they are considering this another "port' day...will they be serving lunch in the MDR?

And if they are serving lunch in the MDR will those of us with Elite/Platinum/Double Diamand/VIP status be seated first? Will it be formal? :D

Oh, I can relate. It gets dark inside a ship when the lights go out. I know that firsthand. Try maneuvering around a tight engineroom (688 class submarine) when the lights go out. It's sometimes better to just stay put until the lights are turned back on.

Hey its a bubble head EM

Archived