CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Yup, they come back in and go through extra screening, or they have to visit the consulate in the country they are in to get a replacement passport.

BTW, there is no US consulate in St. Maarten.

It weakens our already collapsing borders, I'm surprised you don't all see that.

How so? They have proof of citizenship (birth certificate and ID) that was sufficient to allow them back into the country by ship (or car!) and it is not as if they have no proof of citizenship. Only through the quirkiness of the law does that same identification that allows them entry into the US with one mode of transportation not allow them another way. I don;t think there is much doubt that they are in fact US citizens. To blow this up into a threat of border security is rather absurd.

The C-Level's are getting beat up pretty good by the institutional investment folks on the conference call. A lot of pointed questions that are obviously seriously questioning Carnival Corps costs and losses due to the repeated ship problems. They stated that they were planning on some fare sales to drive bookings. Bookings in Europe are soft and they've kept pricing low to encourage bookings. They've used the word "struggling several times."

BTW, there is no US consulate in St. Maarten.

I didn't say there was. A foreign consulate can't issue a first time passport, they can only reissue lost or stolen passports, so your point is moot.

The C-Level's are getting beat up pretty good by the institutional investment folks on the conference call. A lot of pointed questions that are obviously seriously questioning Carnival Corps costs and losses due to the repeated ship problems. They stated that they were planning on some fare sales to drive bookings. Bookings in Europe are soft and they've kept pricing low to encourage bookings. They've used the word "struggling several times."

Thx for the update- keep em coming for those of us trapped at work-

CCL stock down big to start the day... Mixed reviews from the report. A good profit in Q1 but not good outlook for rest of year... Real impact of this will not be felt now but in earnings for remainder of year.

STOCK CLASSIFICATION- HOLD

How often are Carnival ships taken out of service for a week for a scheduled drydock? I know on Royal Caribbean it is typically every five or six years though with the current revitilization program underway, some are going longer, others shorter.

I know someone on another thread said the ships should be taken out of service once a year, which I think is a bit much, but just wondering what they are currently doing.

How often are Carnival ships taken out of service for a week for a scheduled drydock? I know on Royal Caribbean it is typically every five or six years though with the current revitilization program underway, some are going longer, others shorter.

I know someone on another thread said the ships should be taken out of service once a year, which I think is a bit much, but just wondering what they are currently doing.

CCL- 3 to 4 years

RCCL- 5 to 6 years

NCL- 3 to 4 years

http://www.vacationcruisesinfo.com/Features/Cruise-Ship-Renovations-The-Complete-Schedule.htm?utm_source=outbrain_recirc&obref=obnetwork

From a basic stats perspective:

1/23 ships not working right = "ship happens"

2/23 ships not working right = "hmmm... still possible, but something seems kinda off"

3/23 ships not working right= "something is wrong"

To put that in perspective:

13% of Carnivals ships are having some major issues.

8% Have had to cancel cruises do to major issues.

CCL stock down big to start the day... Mixed reviews from the report. A good profit in Q1 but not good outlook for rest of year... Real impact of this will not be felt now but in earnings for remainder of year.

STOCK CLASSIFICATION- HOLD

I suspect that the biggest impact will be felt in Q4 and depending on what they determine is the appropriate course of action on their electrical and propulsion issues, Q1 '14.

In all honesty, if they treat this as an opportunity, they could garner praise and strengthen brand loyalty. That would mean, however, a top-down change in management and service styles. I'm not sure that CCL has that in them.

In all honesty, their best bet right now would be to try to capture the fleeing Carnival ship market and redirect them to other brand holdings by offering incentives. Same pants, different pocket. Once Carnival Cruise reestablishes itself as a reliable operator, they could use the same types of incentives to lure those customers cross brand.

The key is to not lose them to NCL, RCI, Fred Olsen, Disney, TUI, and Star Cruises, who are their largest competitors. Once they change brands, the possibility of luring them back to the fold will be slim.

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Ditto! The azipods could fall off every Carnival ship, and the devote cheerleaders will still defend them to the end. I'm not saying Carnival is a horrible product, but it is now time for me to be a little more skeptical of them and any other cruise line. Will I stop cruising because of all that has happened in the past.....HECK NO!!!! I love cruising too much to do that. However, I will also not knowingly put my family in harms way either. After my last Carnival cruise aboard the Elation, I had already decided to either go back to Royal or try another line. I've just grown stale of Carnival. Oh well.....

Why not get a passport? It's not that hard, and it can't hurt

On the flip side, why do you need other people to have passports so bad?

My thoughts exactly! And if someone says to you, lets go to Paris for dinner - you're ready to go!

I don't know about any other state but having a passport means a lot less hassle when getting a driver's license in NJ - and it's good for like 10 years (I forget, but it's at least 10) Actually, it's a lot easier to get a passport than a driver's license in NJ.

I didn't say there was.

I did not say you said that (if I wanted to imply that I may have used "FYI" instead of "BTW); I was merely providing additional information. :)

A foreign consulate can't issue a first time passport, they can only reissue lost or stolen passports, so your point is moot.

Oh really? Take a look at this: Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States

:D

Those are not insignificant numbers.

Exactly. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the likely hood of something going awry on a Carnival cruise is higher then other lines. Someone posted that the probability of something going wrong on another line was .02. And only a .2 chance of something going wrong on Carnival. Not sure these numbers are correct, but if they are, that means the risk of something going wrong on Carnival is 10 times that of another line.

10 times the chance. Chance is still low, but why would I want to increase the probability by 10 ten fold?

Um - not a Carnival cheerleader (Carnival, like all the other cruise lines, is a corporation - cold and impersonal). I'm not in the habit of leading cheers for any corporations. BUT ... the Dream passengers are not confined to quarters or locked up in the brig. Sheesh!

Like on any sea day, they are free to roam the ship. Free to look at a lovely view from any deck. The power is back on; the toilets are working. I'm sure there are drinks being served. The pools are open. As far as I know the sun is shining. The buffet is open.

Is it an ideal situation, knowing you may face a hassle getting home - no. But neither are they locked away in a gulag with only bread and water to drink.

And I believe that they are now being allowed off the ship to enjoy the island while they wait for transport home.

Why is it that people can't look at things from a realistic perspective? Things aren't black or white. Heaven or hell. The glass is neither hallf full nor half empty - it's just a glass with liquid in it. With few exceptions everything falls on the scale somewhere in between.

The people I feel sorry for are the ones whose cruise on the 16th got cancelled at the last minute. I know I'm looking forward to mine on 6/10 and I'd be disappointed if it were cancelled. I also feel for those on the 23rd - they are kind of in limbo (hey - that's an in between state for sure!). They don't know if they are go or no-go. Uncertainty is the pits.

As one of those people that were scheduled to cruise next week, it's a bummer and a big disappointment as I'm sitting here at work instead of on my way to port canaveral as planned. My suitcases are packed and sitting in the middle of my den. Can't say that I'm not a little sad but I'll get over it.

I have a few cruises currently booked and I'm looking forward to sailing on each one of them.

I even moved my current Dream booking to the Dream again in December.

When I unpack, I'll hang our clothes in the back room on the cruise rack and keep everything else in the suitcases. For my May cruise, all I have to do is put the same clothes back in the suitcases and we'll already be packed.

There's always a bright side to everything. :D

Second thought, maybe I should just sue Carnival since it's their fault that I'm forced to go back to work instead of cruising next week. :rolleyes:

at last count there were at least 4 planes coming down from Atlanta to St. Martin, that is way more than the scheduled one flight on Delta's website.

to track inbound flights to St. Martin here is the link

http://www.flightstats.com/go/AirportTracker/airportTracker.do

Cudos to Carnival for taking care of their guests.

I did not say you said that; I was merely providing additional information. :)

Oh really? Take a look at this: Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States

:D

That is to replace a lost or stolen passport. How would someone who is a US citizen be outside the US without a passport to begin with? Think about that for a minute. The only exception I can think of is military dependents, but they are handled differently anyhow.

That is to replace a lost or stolen passport. How would someone who is a US citizen be outside the US without a passport to begin with? Think about that for a minute. The only exception I can think of is military dependents, but they are handled differently anyhow.

Where in any of that does it say that it is only for renewals or replacements? You seem to make things up according to the way you wish

is should be.

How would someone who is a US citizen be outside the US without a passport to begin with? Think about that for a minute. The only exception I can think of is military dependents, but they are handled differently anyhow.

They got on the Carnival Dream with a birth certificate and id and the ship broke down in St. Maarten. ;)

There is flexibility in laws at times to allow for unusual circumstances. Not everyone is as rigid as you are.

BTW: I would still like to see a response to my question about "the carrier" changing laws...

Archived