CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I asked this question yesterday and the letter got taken off the website, not sure why that happened but as I am cruising with John Heald on the Legend with him as cruise director I have to ask why some writers on cruisecritic.com seem to have such dislike for him. Should I be worried?

He's a great cruise director. Go and enjoy.

Hmmm... 'multiple' passengers (from a ship capable of holding 5,000) have reported .....? No record from Coast Guard ....

Why am I a little suspicious of the credibility of this actually happening?

Well, the ship hadn't left port yet and it was scheduled to leave at 5pm yesterday. There is SOME sort of problem going on. Though critical, I gave Carnival the benefit of doubt that there was not a systemic problem with the cruise line. Now, I'm not quite so sure...

Sailing on the Dream 4/20. Can't wait!

Question....as one who believes Carnival was very fair with the passengers on the Triumph. My question is this...we love getting on the ship early (11:00-11:30). It gives us almost a full day. This is the biggest reason we went for platium. :D If the Dream is indeed late and the next passengers cannot board until...lets say 9:00 PM. Should the passengers be giving credit for the day they lost? :rolleyes:

And I got all excited about booking the Dream next year when she came out with a new itinerary. That's it ... I will not book another Carnival ship until this company sorts out it's problems, and clearly, they have problems!!!

Just out of curiosity how will you clearly know when Carnival has sorted out "it's problems"?

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnival/dream/dream1.php

I have been watching that cruise ship cam for about an hour now and something is not right...the big private ship ahead of the Dream keeps going into and out of dock with a smaller boat in front of it...and the aft camera has not changed at all, and the same group of ppl. on the dock near the ropes for the Dream appear and disappear...looks to me like they are just replaying a tape of the actual live footage from earlier?

we are scheduled for April 6 cruise on the Dream...sure hope things get sorted out since this will be our last Carnival cruise

FLAME SUIT ON

Not a Carnival cheerleader, only sailed one Carnival Cruise; but I just love how every time something happens on any cruise ship a ton of posters on CC begin to speak in "fact" as if they are on the board of directors or in some other way are privy to the financial books, operational plans, business plans etc, of that cruise line and immediately talk about the cuts in cost of maintenance etc. Please to all those posters, if you are a member of the board, maintenance supervisor or in any other way a person with direct knowledge, please identify your self so that we as readers can make a better decision on whether or not your post are correct. Until then just remember: SHIP HAPPENS!! Happy Cruising :D

Sheesh. Don't you people have anything ever break down? In the space of two weeks three people at my office have had well maintained vehicles break down. One lady's twice!! Are you going to quit driving?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Would you feel the same way if Carnival ran an airline? :)

This is a public relations nightmare for Carnival, but it will impact every other cruise line as well because many people do not differential among cruise lines when something like this happens. In six months they won't remember Triumph and Dream are Carnival ships.

So other cruise lines may have to lower prices for awhile to lure back wary passengers. Lower prices are great for those of us who love to cruise, but such low prices may force the cruise lines into another round of cuts in amenities, staff, food quality, etc in order to stay profitable.

When unfortunate events like this happen to Carnival, it hurts every one in the cruise industry. In this exact case, many will remember the name "Dream", but not remember it is Carnival Dream. They may think it was Disney Dream. This is the best argument I can think of for not naming a ship the same name as another cruise line's ship.

The harbor at St Maarten is now crowded with 5 ships.

Carnival Dream, RCCL Freedom of the Seas, Holland America Westerdam and Celebrity Summit.

All those ships are at the dock.

Holland America Noordam is moored off shore

perhaps because there's no more dock space and perhaps they are tendering passengers to shore.

Oh yes...HAL must be pleased!

Sailing on the Dream 4/20. Can't wait!

Question....as one who believes Carnival was very fair with the passengers on the Triumph. My question is this...we love getting on the ship early (11:00-11:30). It gives us almost a full day. This is the biggest reason we went for platium. :D If the Dream is indeed late and the next passengers cannot board until...lets say 9:00 PM. Should the passengers be giving credit for the day they lost? :rolleyes:

A quick calculation puts the ship in PC around 11 PM Saturday if she leaves right NOW and going at at least 22 knots...

Their FB page says "The Carnival Dream was on a seven-day cruise and is based in Port Canaveral, Fla."

I guess that means its now an eight-day cruise?

Simple math would say that being in port, 16 hours and 23 minutes past yesterday's scheduled departure, that yes, it will not arrive back in Port Canaveral until Sunday now. (assuming they leave before 5PM today)

If I was the folks onboard, I would just be happy it happened while still in port....

Bill

I have been watching that cruise ship cam for about an hour now and something is not right...the big private ship ahead of the Dream keeps going into and out of dock with a smaller boat in front of it...and the aft camera has not changed at all, and the same group of ppl. on the dock near the ropes for the Dream appear and disappear...looks to me like they are just replaying a tape of the actual live footage from earlier?

According to AIS, Dream is still in Philipsburg, right next to Freedom of the Seas.

It can be tracked on:

www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

A quick calculation puts the ship in PC around 11 PM Saturday if she leaves right NOW and going at at least 22 knots...

How smart would it be to cruise back at full speed, for two days, after mechanical problems?

(at least I would hope they wouldn't risk it. Who knows...LOL)

According to AIS, Dream is still in Philipsburg, right next to Freedom of the Seas.

It can be tracked on:

www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

yes, thanks, I had been looking at that as well...I prefer the live webcams on the ships and hope that they are accurate...and so far that Dream forward webcam does not show any activity leading to leaving the dock

Would you feel the same way if Carnival ran an airline? :)

They in fact did have an airline. It was short lived and fizzled out in 98. I was fascinated by this.

Irony of ironies, I was on the Carnival site the other day just checking them out and I guess I filled in a field for reservations but stupidly put down my phone number. Well...I get a phone call yesterday that woke up both darling boyfriend and myself from Carnival trying to sell me on booking with them. Low and behold the next day the Dream has an issue. Not sold at all...

Sincerely hope that those involved arrive to their final destination safely and can have a good vacation in spite of recent events. Definitely not good PR for Carnival in addition to the recent Triumph debacle.

I have to say if I were on the ship I'd already be asking they put me on a plane home...I would NOT be taking any chances! They're lucky that they're in port, in light of what went on with the Triumph. I hope Carnival does the right thing.

Not taking chances? A ship that is safely docked vs a plane mid air (aka another fallible machine) and I'm IN aviation....I know our record & the malfunctions of the industry. Wow.

Archived