booking a last minute suite?

tammyp5

I originally posted this question on the "first timers" thread, but now realize the experienced cruisers I'm trying to reach would be more accessible here - pardon the redundancy....I've already done the web searching and need some experienced advice from frequent cruisers.

Just found out that we will have some free time in July (7th - 28th) that I would love to fill up with a 5 - 7 day cruise to Mexico or the Caribbean (we love to snorkle).

Problem is, my husband is a very tall man (6'5) and needs a large bed, plus loves space and a little luxury, so he wants a suite. I've checked Vacations to go, Priceline and Expedia, plus some of the cruise sites, but all suites seem to be taken. Found a jr. suite on the Empress, but the square footage seems too small for an actual suite (smaller than the regular cabins on the Zuiderdam?).

We are a 30s/40s couple, no kids, looking for a quieter, more upscale ship, but would consider any with a decent sized balcony suite. I would love to hear your recommendations.

How do you get a suite at the last minute? Is there a website I'm missing?

I love this board - where else could you get so much information in one place from every demographic conceivable? What a great resource!

Thanks

T & C

You best bet may be your travel agent... they would be able to tell you what cabins are still available

Pick the cruiseline website and sign up for their email specials you may get lucky

If you don't mind a more mature crowd look at http://www.rssc.com

http://www.Oceaniacruises.com

Silverseas is more upscale and mostly all- inclusive

A lot of those ships are in Europe this time of the year though.

How do you get a suite at the last minute? Is there a website I'm missing?

Statistically, the lowest cabins and the highest cabins, i.e. suites, get booked first and then work their way to the middle. If there does happen to be suites left last minute, cruise lines start upgrading people to make the middle cabins available. I think if you want a suite, you have to plan to do it more than a few weeks in advance.

You best bet may be your travel agent... they would be able to tell you what cabins are still available

Pick the cruiseline website and sign up for their email specials you may get lucky

If you don't mind a more mature crowd look at http://www.rssc.com

http://www.Oceaniacruises.com

Silverseas is more upscale and mostly all- inclusive

A lot of those ships are in Europe this time of the year though.

Radisson and Oceania do not offer short cruises so these will not work for you now but definitely keep them in mind for the future. Radisson has fabulous staterooms and room size is not an issue.

For a short cruise you are going to be limited to the mainstream lines. And, many ships are in Alaska and Europe right now so the pickins are slim!

Since we only book suites, we book cruises up 10 18 months in advance to make certain that we get a suite.

They are usually sold out first. And those that aren't sold out, are offered to the next category persons already booked unless there is a waiting list. But again the waiting list is usually made of up of people wanting a suite.

Are the beds a different size in a suite? thats what you have to check as i am sure they are all one size.

Bigger balconies.. check deck plans as you can see the size of the balconies. Afts are bigger. You might want to check out suites on the Carnival Spirit class ships and ask for a wrap around balcony. These balconies go around the back and the side. they are huge. THey are cat 11 suites.

Are the beds a different size in a suite? thats what you have to check as i am sure they are all one size.

Bigger balconies.. check deck plans as you can see the size of the balconies. Afts are bigger. You might want to check out suites on the Carnival Spirit class ships and ask for a wrap around balcony. These balconies go around the back and the side. they are huge. THey are cat 11 suites.

I would not consider Carnival an "upscale" line by any standards.

Radisson and Oceania do not offer short cruises so these will not work for you now but definitely keep them in mind for the future. !

Sorry but most of the RSSC cruises are anywhere from 4 nts to 11 some are a bit longer but for the most part are 7 night cruises.

But they are in Europe for the summer months.

If you're talking upscale, you probably should stay away from lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Costa and MSC because while they fill a niche in cruising, they cannot be considered upscale. For a more upscale experience, you need to go with one of the luxury lines like Crystal, Seabourn Silversea or Radisson. But, none of those lines do short cruises, and you have a hard time finding many 7 day cruises on those lines, and none of them are in the Caribbean or Mexico in the summer---they are all in Europe. Celebrity would be a good choice, but all their ships are in Europe or Alaska. Plus, in summer, you're never going to find a quiet cruise experience. This is the prime family cruise time and all ships will be filled with tons of kids.

You absolutely will NOT find a large suite this late out---for that matter, you probably will have a hard time finding anything at this late date because most ships are sailing full and have been booked for months. Remember, many cruise lines redeploy their ships to Europe or Alaska in the summer, so your choices are even more limited. We always book suites and we find we need to book those at least 12 months out. The general rule of thumb is: the cheapest and most expensive rooms book first. We're cruising on Celebrity next February, and we booked that cruise 13 months early just so we could get the PH.

Go to the *****.com, click on "find a bargain" then go to "custom search"

you can then specify your dates and type of cabin-- ie suites. I just looked briefly and it did come up with quite a few options during those dates.

I'm with the other folks- we've stayed in suites (and non-suites!) and I don't remember a difference in the bed size. We had an aft suite on Costa that had a HUGE balcony- and bathtub, etc. Probably nicest cabin we've ever had.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Sorry but most of the RSSC cruises are anywhere from 4 nts to 11 some are a bit longer but for the most part are 7 night cruises.

But they are in Europe for the summer months.

This is incorrect. I am not sure where you are looking but Radisson Seven Seas Cruises - RSSC - has a ship in Alaska doing 7 night cruises and two in Europe doing 7-10 or longer. The PG is in Tahiti on its normal itinerary.

This is incorrect. I am not sure where you are looking but Radisson Seven Seas Cruises - RSSC - has a ship in Alaska doing 7 night cruises and two in Europe doing 7-10 or longer. The PG is in Tahiti on its normal itinerary.

Sorry I was wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only some of the RSSC ships are in Europe.

I consider 7 days a shorter cruise ! :rolleyes:

I am done now!

Thanks for the good advice - keep it coming if you have more. I am learning quite a bit. Love the idea of bed extender. Have tried to call a few TAs - of course, this is the weekend. Maybe better luck tomorrow. I did try some of the searches and have located two options (but most of the suites available in July are for the last week in July - too late for us). Like the HAL Z and the Glory best so far - couldn't find any Princess or Celebrity for our dates. I will keep looking. I'm having some trouble with the individual cruise line websites, so will try from the office tomorrow with DSL.

Any of these ships have upgraded bedding so I can entice my DH with a comfy bed if not a large one? How about a jacuzzi tub? Any with card rooms? Is poker allowed on board? My DH is a Hearts and Hold 'Em fanatic.

T and C

My husband and I just booked a suite on the Rassison Seven Seas Navigator this afternoon. We are sailing to Bermuda on a seven day cruise in August. The Navigator is an all suite luxury, upscale ship.

You may want to call your travel agent. Ours was able to get a good deal for us.

Linda

Archived