Anyone know why Ruby is in Nassau?

shellfreak

I wonder if they skipped Grand Turk yesterday and subbed Nassau today? They are saying on another board that ships are diverting from Grand Turk because several different ships have suffered sickness after the stop at GT. EM

A quote from the March 17 roll call for Ruby, from a person on current cruise:

The captain announced today that we will not be stopping in Grand Turk. He stated that there was some suspicion that the illness aboard the previous sailing may have originated from food and drinks consumed there that day. We will stop instead in Nassau, Bahamas on Saturday. I don't know what will happen on the March 17 cruise, as far as Grand Turk is concerned.

I wonder if they skipped Grand Turk yesterday and subbed Nassau today? They are saying on another board that ships are diverting from Grand Turk because several different ships have suffered sickness after the stop at GT. EM

That's what I've read as well in another forum here on CC.

Seems it is the reason but really don't know. :confused:

Hopefully, others returning will provide more information on exactly why.

LuLu

~~~~

My wife and I board the Ruby Princess tomorrow. Personally, I would rather go to Nassau. Grand Turk is a nice beach day, but we have never been to Nassau.

Either way, we talked about it this evening and if we do stop at Grand Turk, we will probably get back on the ship to eat. Since we dock there instead of tender, it will be easy enough.

Last time we were at Grand Turk, we ate at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Lunch took forever and my burger was still raw inside. Sent it back to be cooked and it never came back. Won't eat there again...

Believe me you won't miss much be avoiding Grand Turk

Agreed. Probably our least favorite of all the Caribbean islands. If we ever stop there again, we'll probably just stay on the ship. Never been to Nassau so I would welcome the change.

For us it is very disappointing that we will be stopping in Nassau instead of GT, have been

to GT 2x and absolutely loved it ♥ Been to Nassau 1x and that is enough for us.

It is all personal opinion I guess, Nassau is over rated IMO.

Just saying ☺

Happy Cruising............

DonnaF :D

Currently we are on the Ruby. Nassau was substituted for Grand Turk because evidently investigation led to cause of previous cruise illness stemming from Grand Turk port call. While Nassau was not my favorite, I would pick going there over contracting gastrointestinal illness anytime. You have to go with the flow and have a good time as we did today. The whole cruise has been great. Ship is spotless and staff has been wonderful.

Believe me you won't miss much be avoiding Grand Turk

Aside from power snorkeling on Grand Turk,which I loved, I thought the island was a slum and a lot of the shopkeepers at the port were incredibly rude, especially at the Smoothie shop. I can handle Nassau.

Nassau is excellent if you dive or snorkel. Grand Turk, not so much.

To each his/her own.

Nassau snorkel alert: Don't miss Stuart Cove for snorkeling with the sharks.

http://www.dive-bahamas.com/stuartcovebookingengine/index.aspx

Nassau:“Snorkel Bahamas Adventure” is a 5-½ hour trip operated by Stuart’s Cove. The Stuart’s Cove outing surpassed all of my previous experiences, including Athol Island. The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The crew drops a bait bucket on the bottom, about fifteen to twenty feet deep. We float above them, watching the sharks feed. Best of all is when we return to the boat. A crew member baits the end of a metal pole holding it in the air over the aft end. The sharks leap up to grab the treat. It's amazing how graceful they are. The sharks, not the crew members.

This is a five star, gold medallion trip!

Everyone should visit Nassau at least once, if only to stand on deck and watch the other ships come into the harbor, do a 180 turn, and back into their slips. Every time is amazing to me. EM

While in Nassau a little over a week ago on Disney Dream, we watched from the balcony while Norwegian Epic came into the harbor. They were coming at a pretty fast clip, I thought, and seemed to list to starboard when turning to port to come straight into the slip. No turning around to back in, but a little alarming and very interesting to watch just the same.:eek:

Currently we are on the Ruby. Nassau was substituted for Grand Turk because evidently investigation led to cause of previous cruise illness stemming from Grand Turk port call. While Nassau was not my favorite, I would pick going there over contracting gastrointestinal illness anytime. You have to go with the flow and have a good time as we did today. The whole cruise has been great. Ship is spotless and staff has been wonderful.

Anne .... Thanks very much for your LIVE report!

LuLu

~~~~

Archived