Three Weeks to Go...

Mama24

... and I really don't want to cancel my cruise. There is always the money issue of course, but more because I have planned and looked forward to this for over a year.

But.

I had to have an emergency appendectomy last Tuesday. :(

I'm intent on hearing that little ding that says welcome aboard. If the cruising gods are with me, it will happen.

I sure hope I have some good karma on account.

Be sure to get enough of painkillers if needed.

According to comedian Bill Engvall vicodin should save you from getting a drinks package *laughs*

Wikpedia says up to 3 weeks recovery so you should be fine. Get well, and enjoy your cruise!

... and I really don't want to cancel my cruise. There is always the money issue of course, but more because I have planned and looked forward to this for over a year.

But.

I'm intent on hearing that little ding that says welcome aboard. If the cruising gods are with me, it will happen.

Not to worry. My friend had his app out on a Friday and was back to work on the folllowing Tuesdsy. You will be good to go! :)

According to comedian Bill Engvall vicodin should save you from getting a drinks package *laughs*

Wikpedia says up to 3 weeks recovery so you should be fine. Get well, and enjoy your cruise!

Bill is wrong...............Go right for the Oxycondon.........Do not pass go :D

But.

I would talk with your surgeon and Primary Care doctor to see what they think. While I think its nice to heal on a cruise I would be afraid if something went wrong such as the stitches coming out and tearing the wound, an infection etc. I would think that three weeks is enough time but to be on the safe side run your cruise by your surgeon and doctor to see what they think.

Good luck and may the sea gods be with you for a speedy recovery.

P.S. Its a good think you were not on a cruise when you had your medical emergency. Just be glad you were close to a hospital

Ha ha! Harrold- I use comedians and Wikipedia for all my medical advice;)

Seriously, Mama, so sorry to hear about your emergency illness! Hope you are mending well. Most people's experiences are probably with a laparoscopic appendectomy...I do hope this is the case for you as a regular abdominal surgery requires far more recovery time. I'm sure you know to get the all clear from your own surgeon rather than Cruise Critic! I do hope you can make your cruise!

Out of curiosity I had to google to find out how they would handle appendicitis and found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ChristmasCountdown/story?id=4018440

Now, being a forreigner I have been told again and again that in the US you have to pay for everything, would you get charged the cost of the rescue if you don't have a travel insurance?

Doesn't affect me as I have a world-wide year-round travel insurance.. but still. Curious minds want to know.

Sorry for the digression :-)

That sounds a bit extreme....being on painkillers for that long. I would hope after a few days you are weaning yourself off any pain killers by then. You should be back to normal by then.

Tap on ships card reader, you can download and listen to the ding whenever. I use it as a notification sound on my smartphone.

https://sites.google.com/site/cruiseshipsounds/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best way I can think of to recover after surgery...no lifting, no cooking, no cleaning, laying prone for extended periods of time (in or out of sun)....as long as your doctor says you're good to go! Have fun taking it easy! Of course, participation in Quest may be out of the question! :D

Think about it.....recovering on the ship likely will mean a much more relaxed recovery. Eat, sleep when you want and no housework! I'm also leaving in three weeks! :).

I concur! Heck, they could roll me out of recovery and right into my cabin! Seriously, as another poster stated you PCP will advise you, but I suspect s/he will give you the green light!

...but no joke, they could roll me onboard with IV intact!

...just sayin...

Out of curiosity I had to google to find out how they would handle appendicitis and found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ChristmasCountdown/story?id=4018440

Now, being a forreigner I have been told again and again that in the US you have to pay for everything, would you get charged the cost of the rescue if you don't have a travel insurance?

Doesn't affect me as I have a world-wide year-round travel insurance.. but still. Curious minds want to know.

Sorry for the digression :-)

Boy Harrald, the state of health care in the US could be a whole forum of its own never mind a thread!:eek:

In general, Medicare (the govt insurance that covers retirees) does not cover people outside of the country at all. For working people, some have private plans that may cover out of the country care. Some may have insurance that does not. some working people have no health insurance at all. Some senior citizens buy an additional private plan that covers things the basic Medicare plan does not cover, this may or may not cover international travel. Older folks for travel often look for that option when they pick a supplemental plan.

There are an indescribable amount of plans each regulated by the state where

the person lives and as well as by the company the person works for. If you were sitting in the MDR, you could look as far as you could see in every direction and not find 2 people with the same plan/coverage (who are not in the same family that shares one persons coverage in a family plan). No two Americans you ever meet will have the same services and coverages, unless of course they are one of the many Americans who have no health insurance whatsoever...in which case they both have no coverage for anything and therefore are equal :rolleyes:

As you can imagine when an American gets hurt or ill in a foreign country the medical providers there say "you pay me cash- ill treat you, I'm not taking my chances with who knows what form of coverage you have from who knows what entity that provides it" So most traveling Americans need to be prepared to pay up front. Most US health plans will not pay for evacuation from a foreign place, so most US travelers buy evacuation insurance as part of a travel insurance plan they get for a particular trip.

Regardless of whether you had an open or laparoscopic appendectomy, you should be FINE as long as you take all your prescribed antibiotics exactly as ordered to prevent a secondary infection.

I had my appendectomy back in the stone ages before laparoscopic was even an option, and I was up and water-skiing in less than three weeks.

I had arthroscopic knee surgery half a dozen years ago and was at a hockey rink watching a game four hours after discharge.

Unless you had some sort of complications with your surgery (burst appendix, peritonitis, drains, extreme hemorrhage, etc.), you should be absolutely fine to travel -- maybe don't go white-water rafting, and have someone else lift your bags for you, but just going on a cruise should be no problem whatsoever.

Archived