Breakaway in winter

soaddictive

I was thinking of going on the breakaway in November/December to Florida and Bahamas. But one of my colleagues asked me a very valid question about the temperatures on the ship. If we are starting off in New York and then going to Florida, does anyone have an idea of just how many days/hours will be a write off in terms of lounging by the sun. It's going to be pretty cold the day we get on ship so I would imagine that day would be an indoor day...at what point will the climate change and upon our return, what point will we be restricted to indoors again. Ideas?

I did that itinerary in February (so it was even colder than it will be in November/December). The first two days were not conducive to being outdoors, although some brave souls were in the pool. The third, fourth, and fifth days were fine for lounging outside. On the sixth day, it became too cold to comfortably be outside without a jacket.

This is all dependent on your tolerance for cold. Mine is low.

Hmm that is what I was afraid of...I live in Toronto and want to escape the cold! Just debating if the 3 days will be worth it. I really wanted to do this ship but the itineraries are not the best. In the summer time all they do is Bermuda and 7 days in Bermuda is a bit much!

It does the same itinerary as the Epic which I just did last month:(

I might have to switch cruise lines but I don't think anyone of them will be as much as fun NCL is. I'm not a Carnival fan and the Oasis class ships do the same itineraries as Epic and Getaway will be doing. Perhaps Princess...

That's the very reason why I also did not book the Breakaway. Even the weather in the Bahamas can be iffy at that time. I booked the Getaway in February which goes to Carribean. I don't care if it is the same itiniary because all the islands are basically the same to me anyway. To me the ship is the destenation and I only want to go to the beach on the island's anyway so it doesn't matter which beach I go to as long as it's hot!! I can defintely handle going to St. Thomas and St. Martin once a year, no problem. :D

I have asked this same question before. Was told that by the middle to end of the second day, things will warm up.

That's true. The first day you are in port until late afternoon, the next day sleep a little later and by the middle of the day it would have warmed up for swimsuit weather. :)

Just off the Jewel in Feb after 12day. We had amazing weather and I think we had almost 9 full outside days. The breakaway will be good for the 12day runs. I think they will have to alter the 7day fla, bahama run. Hopefully you can at least get 5nice days on that one.

Called up NCL and they said all the pools are heated and the waterfront will have heat lamps the first day and last day to provide warmth. Depending on the Caribbean weather itself, she says that by the Monday (cruise sails Sunday) weather should be good. I might just book the haven as suggested above as it would make for a different experience!

Did the Fl/Bahamas itinerary first week of December for my birthday in 2010. First 2 days are cold and start to warm up around Wednesday-fri. So you get about 2 1/2-3 days outdoors comfortably without a jacket.

Booked the Breakaway again for my bday this year 2nd week of December, so I'm ready for only 3 days of Warmth!:cool:

Called up NCL and they said all the pools are heated and the waterfront will have heat lamps the first day and last day to provide warmth. Depending on the Caribbean weather itself, she says that by the Monday (cruise sails Sunday) weather should be good. I might just book the haven as suggested above as it would make for a different experience!

I'm working off memory but the tvs usually display the various pool temps on the bridge report channel (IIRC the correct channel). I think they usually say around 86 but someone can chime in if they remember seeing different temps.

That said, we've gone when outside temps have been upper 50s/lower 60s although I don't stay as long as the kids.

Yes they do have temperatures posted for the pools. I think they were on the tv's!

If I can afford to, I will book the Haven Spa Suite as you get your own in room hot tub!! That would be a nice way to relax when it gets chilly out:) Plus access to the Haven deck!

Either that or I go in summer and do the Bermuda itinerary! Has anyone been to Bermuda for almost 3 days? Is theres lots to do?

Yes they do have temperatures posted for the pools. I think they were on the tv's!

If I can afford to, I will book the Haven Spa Suite as you get your own in room hot tub!! That would be a nice way to relax when it gets chilly out:) Plus access to the Haven deck!

Either that or I go in summer and do the Bermuda itinerary! Has anyone been to Bermuda for almost 3 days? Is theres lots to do?

We've been three times on Majesty, Spirit and Dawn still have stuff to see and do.

hi all me again, just wanted to say I was not going to do another Caribbean cruise but to me the ship is my destination. a lot of people had said they wish they had more time to do everything on the epic so I am thoroughly going to enjoy my breakaway experience. cold weather be darned ol breakaway here I come. I agree with hotchi btw hi hotchi I love your attitude

Bermuda has tons to do. Those 3 (well 2.5 days roughly) will go quickly.

I was thinking of going on the breakaway in November/December to Florida and Bahamas. But one of my colleagues asked me a very valid question about the temperatures on the ship. If we are starting off in New York and then going to Florida, does anyone have an idea of just how many days/hours will be a write off in terms of lounging by the sun. It's going to be pretty cold the day we get on ship so I would imagine that day would be an indoor day...at what point will the climate change and upon our return, what point will we be restricted to indoors again. Ideas?

This really depends on what your looking for on vacation. Florida in November is usually a pretty safe bet so only the first day and a half going and last day and a half coming back might be a little cold. December is a bit riskier, but it should be much like November. The end of December can be very cold...even in southern Florida and the Bahamas. It's a bit hit or miss.

I don't get to take that much vacation...so when I go (especially on a cruise), I pretty much want a gaurantee of warm weather...but that's just me. Some people don't mind the colder weather and are just as happy enjoying the inside of the ship.

One great, although expensive option, is the Haven. Guaranteed swimming year round! My wife and I took the kids on a two day cruise to nowhere in February on the Jewel. Swimming in February with the kids was a blast.

Have a great time wherever you go!

Archived