Princess evening Butchart Gardens tour

tuccritic

With only 3 hrs (7:00-10:00 PM) for Princess evening Butchart Gardens tour, is it enough time and worthwhile? The bus ride is 90 min roundtrip (time included in the overall tour time). Tour would be end of first week in August.

I can only tell you that Butchart Gardens is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I wouldn't want to miss it if I were you. I believe you are saying there will be an hour and a half to walk the gardens and I would say that is that is enough time

With only 3 hrs (7:00-10:00 PM) for Princess evening Butchart Gardens tour, is it enough time and worthwhile? The bus ride is 90 min roundtrip (time included in the overall tour time). Tour would be end of first week in August.

We have been in about 50 countries and they are the most beautiful gardens we have ever seen.

I would have to agree with everyone...it is one of my favourite places. I haven't been since I was about 13 (almost 30 years) but it's the kind of place you never forget. Even as a child, the serenity and beauty of it was undeniable. We probably went close to a dozen times in the 6 years we lived in BC...I would love to go back. I would highly recommend it!!!

To me it would depend on price. If you are paying a lot of money for this tour then wait till you have more time to see the gardens, tour the store and have tea and relax. Too nice to rush through. I love that they have umbrellas throughout the park in case it rains. Just pick one up and when it stops raining just put it back in another bin.

One and a half hours is not nearly enough time to explore the gardens, however it is better than nothing and is still well worth seeing. I have only seen one other garden that comes close to the Butchart Gardens and that is the Bellingrath gardens in Alabama.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx34BvzMA4GCZ0FrKLu9jm-_kjd0vALqXP_nvBHElhdZLdFZwcUwButchart Gardens

seasons_-_web_3_cover.jpgBellingrath Gardens

Thank you to everyone who replied. It sounds like even a short visit is worthwhile. What I neglected to mention is that the tour is in the evening and self guided. The tour is advertised as having 2 hours at the park.

Any other thoughts about that would be appreciated.

Thank you to everyone who replied. It sounds like even a short visit is worthwhile. What I neglected to mention is that the tour is in the evening and self guided. The tour is advertised as having 2 hours at the park.

Any other thoughts about that would be appreciated.

With the time you have in Victoria a ships tour is the only way you are going to get to the gardens. In August you will have at least some portion of your tour under twilight conditions but the gardens are illuminated and a really very pretty. So to the crux of the matter....is two hours in the garden enough?.....given that it is two hours or no hours then I would do it. It is the bare minimum of time but will work and I am sure that you would enjoy it.

I agree with all those who say if this is your only chance to see the gardens, then go. Many people (including me) spent the entire day at the gardens to see them in different light, which changes the look and feeling dramatically. After doing that, I don't think I would take a tour allowing only 90 minutes to walk around in twilight. But if I had never been, then I definitely would.

I actually did this evening tour in late July a few years ago while on an inside passage cruise. We enjoyed about an hour or so in daylight and the rest of the time with spotlights highlighting the gardens. It was beautiful and quite enjoyable.

Our evening visit to the Gardens was on a Saturday. They had one of the most spectacular fireworks exhibits Ive seen and Ive been to Boston's and Macy's displays. We didn't know about the fireworks til we got to parks since the boats description was written to be used for an 'any' evening excursion. Even without them Id go rather than sit on the boat or wonder around Victoria.

We've been to Butchart Gardens twice, once during the day on a land based vacation, and the last time on a Princess cruise. You didn't mention your time in port, ours was from 5:30pm to 11:59pm (They don't want to pay 2 days port chgs. ;)). We had a group of 6, so rented a mini-van in Victoria, they picked us up at the pier around 6:00pm, and we drove to the gardens. This allowed us about 3 hours, and was far cheaper then the shore excursion price times 6. The rental lot was closed when we returned, so just dropped everyone back at the ship around 11:00pm, took several pictures around the vehicle (in case they later claimed damage) and dropped the mini-van back at their lot where they had an after hours night drop box for the paper work & keys. Then take a bus, cab, or walk back to the ship. I was back on-board by 11:20pm and the anytime dining room was still open for a late supper that night as well. :D Long story, but this option is cheaper and gives you twice the time in Butchart Gardens. Also gives you both daylight and twilight viewing. A must see IMHO for this port. :D

We've been to Butchart Gardens twice, once during the day on a land based vacation, and the last time on a Princess cruise. You didn't mention your time in port, ours was from 5:30pm to 11:59pm (They don't want to pay 2 days port chgs. ;)). We had a group of 6, so rented a mini-van in Victoria, they picked us up at the pier around 6:00pm, and we drove to the gardens. This allowed us about 3 hours, and was far cheaper then the shore excursion price times 6. The rental lot was closed when we returned, so just dropped everyone back at the ship around 11:00pm, took several pictures around the vehicle (in case they later claimed damage) and dropped the mini-van back at their lot where they had an after hours night drop box for the paper work & keys. Then take a bus, cab, or walk back to the ship. I was back on-board by 11:20pm and the anytime dining room was still open for a late supper that night as well. :D Long story, but this option is cheaper and gives you twice the time in Butchart Gardens. Also gives you both daylight and twilight viewing. A must see IMHO for this port. :D

Thanks for the detailed info. We will definitely do this on our upcoming AK cruise.

Mike:)

Archived