The Bears have chartered Adventure Feb 16 2014

ddy123

Curious if anyone has experience being on a cruise with this group recently? From reviewing previous posts, apparently there was quite the uproar over their attendance on Mariner in 2006. I have no issue with appropriate displays of affection by either straight or gay couples but innappropriate lewd behavior is not something I want to expose my kids to either in public areas or if we are particularly unlucky through thin cabin walls. I also understand that there is the tendency of them taking over venues either through them being officially closed to others or just by the virtue of their sheer numbers taking over areas of the ship such as the Solarium. Trying to decide whether we should cancel and book something else. If this particular charter is a smaller group then I don't imagine it would impact things too much but if it is a very sizeable group I don't see how it could not.

Curious if anyone has experience being on a cruise with this group recently? From reviewing previous posts, apparently there was quite the uproar over their attendance on Mariner in 2006. I have no issue with appropriate displays of affection by either straight or gay couples but innappropriate lewd behavior is not something I want to expose my kids to either in public areas or if we are particularly unlucky through thin cabin walls. I also understand that there is the tendency of them taking over venues either through them being officially closed to others or just by the virtue of their sheer numbers taking over areas of the ship such as the Solarium. Trying to decide whether we should cancel and book something else. If this particular charter is a smaller group then I don't imagine it would impact things too much but if it is a very sizeable group I don't see how it could not.

If you look up the charter they are doing on Celebrity this year on their website, it does appear they have quite a large group. If this is of a concern to you, can you book another week?

Can't book another week as this is my children's school vacation week. Really surprised that Royal would charter to them this week given the history but perhaps their behavior has changed? How do I determine how large a charter group they will be?

Can't book another week as this is my children's school vacation week. Really surprised that Royal would charter to them this week given the history but perhaps their behavior has changed? How do I determine how large a charter group they will be?

No way to tell really -if you want to go out of San Juan, check out the Jewel for that week.

Thanks Melbur. Doesn't have to be San Juan - we just happen to love the intinerary and my teenage girls love the Voyager class. Plus we got a great residency rate. I have been looking and most cruises are more expensive or with itineraries that we have just done (western). Hoping we wont have to cancel but worried that we may decide to do just that.

Hold on folks!!! We sailed on a Princess cruise with a large Bear charter group and they were no problem at all. The group overall kept to themselves. When we did encounter them in public areas they were all extremely courteous. I wouldn't hesitate to sail along with one of their groups in the future.

Hold on folks!!! We sailed on a Princess cruise with a large Bear charter group and they were no problem at all. The group overall kept to themselves. When we did encounter them in public areas they were all extremely courteous. I wouldn't hesitate to sail along with one of their groups in the future.

Exactly. I am a gay man, and you can't generalize the group because of a

few bad apples.

Exactly. I am a gay man, and you can't generalize the group because of a

few bad apples.

Has NOTHING to do with one's sexual preference. The Bears made a bad name for themselves on the MA years ago.

Has NOTHING to do with one's sexual preference. The Bears made a bad name for themselves on the MA years ago.

And from the looks of things the group sails 1-2x/year. If the only bad report was from years ago I would think they had fixed whatever the problem was.

We were on the 2/24 sailing of the FOS which was a "Bear Cruise" as well.

As a group (about 40-50) they certainly stood out only for the fact that they were a bunch of burly guys together. We did not witness or even hear of any bad behavior in fact one of the guys saw me talking in the hall with my 17 yo son about his wrinkled shirt and the gentleman brought us down to his cabin and loaned us his downy wrinkle release stuff. We were on the same deck as many of them as well. NO noise, NO problems!

Relax, it is not worth canceling!

Kathy

Thanks everyone for your input. It is good to hear a recent report of the group being smaller.....a large group can really take over a ship. But 50 -60 I think is insignificant. Also good to hear of no reports of bad behavior recently. If anyone else can share similar experiences that would be reassuring. I really have no desire to experience anything coming even close to what was previously reported.

Archived