Triumph and Sunshine News

I agree with this. I found out that my Carnival Legend was canceled through USA Today, which was even several days after the news was here on CC. Since then, I thought it in my best interest to spend more times on these boards.

Which sailing were you supposed to be on for the Legend?

If all they want to do is the minimum

But If the want to bring it up to new standards of redundancy dont they need to more than that

Not from my understanding. The only reason they couldn't restart the engines in the other engine room in the Triumph incident is the fact that they didn't have the ability to put out a second fire should one have ignited. Apparently that engine room and the three engines therein were undamaged. It's all in the USCG's initial assessment.

It's only a matter of time for the next ship to malfunction and guess what....it might not be a Carnival Ship.

To those saying that Carnival making improvements now is like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out, I say:

1) Carnival has essentially admitted to an epic fail. Epic fails are learning opportunities. I don't know of anyone who can say that they've never failed. It's not failing that's the problem, it's what you learn from it. Carnival is in the learning process. If you fail to learn, that's when you have a problem.

2) What are other lines doing now to learn from Carnival's mistake? Or are they going to wait until they make the same mistake. As I understand it, the majority of cruise line ships built before 2010 don't conform to the new standards set that year, either. So the next break down could come on a line not owned by Carnival. While Carnival is in the news, all the lines need to re-examine what they're doing and do things differently. While a RCI ship breaking down might not get the media scrutiny that Carnival is getting now, I would consider it a worse fail than Carnival's because it means they haven't learned anything from this. And the black eye is on all of cruising now, not just Carnival.

Sorry. I know that my post will probably be removed, but it's sad that posts including another user's stupid politics into a debate on Carnival's maintenance policies will stay.

You have a right to your opinion. But seeing that you only have 35 posts, I thought you may be new here and not know the rules. just trying to help you not get banned...:rolleyes:

I agree with this. I found out that my Carnival Legend was canceled through USA Today, which was even several days after the news was here on CC. Since then, I thought it in my best interest to spend more times on these boards.

I'd also like to know what Legend cruise was canceled. Please say it was some time ago:o.

Which sailing were you supposed to be on for the Legend?

Our Legend cruise was the October 31 one, Venice to Barcelona. We re-booked for the Sunshine October 20 with the same itinerary. And yes, this cancellation was a while ago now--sorry to get anyone worried needlessly. I was just trying to re-iterate that getting news from Carnival about a cancellation may be hard to come by.

I'll also point out when I called to rebook the cruise, the agents didn't even seem to know anything about it--it really messed up the Sunshine booking as well.

They just can't win can they. Most everyone one on here is complaining about their maintenance and now they are doing something about it and people are still griping about it. Fix the problem but don't inconvienence anyone while doing it. Really.:mad:

They just can't win can they. Most everyone one on here is complaining about their maintenance and now they are doing something about it and people are still griping about it. Fix the problem but don't inconvienence anyone while doing it. Really.:mad:

Agreed. It's the same thing on the Carnival Facebook page and also on John Heald's Facebook page.

Yup not in my back yard, but fix the problem... :rolleyes:

People have been complaining and alerting and speculating and hypothesizing and offering solutions and wondering for about 5 years on this forum. Finally things have come to a head on multiple fronts and Carnival is doing something about it. Many of us are not going to light a congratulatory flare for a job well done. I'm looking at thousands of passengers inconvenienced as of today alone- forget about Triumph and the rest of it- because Carnival waited far too long to take care of their problems. They could have stepped up dry dock schedules, etc etc etc I'm not going to speculate on the obvious- but it didn't have to go down this way by a long shot.

If Carnival cruising used to be a good, safe 7 out of 10 it's now a 3 or 4. And that's above decks. We can only speculate on what's going on below decks but it's becoming pretty clear. How you all can cheerlead and now feel sorry for a corporation is beyond me. You pay thousands for a cruise. Would it matter if you paid an extra few hundred per cabin to have prevented this slide into a below-par product?

So yea, "fix the problem but don't inconvenience anyone while doing it" is EXACTLY what they should have, and could have, done.

I was on the 4/26 sailing of Sunshine but I gotta get Carnival props - I called and was very upset when I picked up the phone since I heard abou the cancellation on Facebook BEFORE getting an official notice from Carnival. I got a rep on the phone. It was her first call of the day so she hadnt heard yet so she put me on hold to research. She came back and was great - got a much better fare for the exact same cruise just a little more than a month later, an additional 25% off, a really nice upgrade AND they have already responded to my emails regarding paying for my flight change fees. They paid the change fee and the difference in fare.

It still sucks that I have to wait longer but I am very pleased with how they handled it once I got in touch with them.

Not from my understanding. The only reason they couldn't restart the engines in the other engine room in the Triumph incident is the fact that they didn't have the ability to put out a second fire should one have ignited. Apparently that engine room and the three engines therein were undamaged. It's all in the USCG's initial assessment.

Your right for that paticular situation

But the standards have changed since these ships were built

I think CCL is being proactive because they need to be..... but also to ease the concerns future cruisers might have with their ships

I was on the 4/26 sailing of Sunshine but I gotta get Carnival props - I called and was very upset when I picked up the phone since I heard abou the cancellation on Facebook BEFORE getting an official notice from Carnival. I got a rep on the phone. It was her first call of the day so she hadnt heard yet so she put me on hold to research. She came back and was great - got a much better fare for the exact same cruise just a little more than a month later, an additional 25% off, a really nice upgrade AND they have already responded to my emails regarding paying for my flight change fees. They paid the change fee and the difference in fare.

It still sucks that I have to wait longer but I am very pleased with how they handled it once I got in touch with them.

What a bright ray of sunshine!! It's people like you that keep me coming back to CC!!! I'm so glad you got everything changed quickly! We're on the May 17th sailing, now the second (praying hard they don't cancel more) and would be devastated but would try to work it out like you. There's a reason for everything they say. Enjoy your cruise!!! I'll bring you back some info on ours :)

That sounds like they handled it very well. I'd have been happy with that too.

Thats going to really annoy people who were booked on the inaugural cruise. Bonus for those who are booked on the 5/5 though!!!

Well, I guess I'm in the bonus........unless they run into delays during the drydock.

Seriously though, I feel bad for the people who were booked on the two earlier cruises. Most people plan European cruises well in advance and now they will have to scramble to make other arrangements.

That has to suck. I'm glad Carnival is making further upgrades though. Their image has really taken a huge hit in the past month.

I'm glad that it worked out for you, and so quickly. Enjoy your cruise!!

More than likely you will not receive any word from Carnival.

They can't ever seem to get word out. You always end up finding things out here on CC

Yes it is a shame Carnival canclled 12 cruises effecting roughly 36000, and they can't manage to either call or get letters to all 36000 beefore someone can open their browser and post it on CC

More than likely you will not receive any word from Carnival.

They can't ever seem to get word out. You always end up finding things out here on CC

They still don't realize they are still lacking a communications machine, headed by someone that took communications, not bartending 101.

They still don't realize they are still lacking a communications machine, headed by someone that took communications, not bartending 101.

If Carnival spent more time/effort being proactive rather than reactive, they'd move through the ocean with fewer swells. Bearing in mind that the media is hot for any cruise related mishap, and will sensationalize things (that's the nature of the beast).

When preparation and proactivity fall short, and bad luck/timing comes their way - just throw some money at the problem (meaning to the inconvenienced guests) and hope it's sufficient to placate them. Still GET AHEAD of the problem. Judging from how they've handled problems over the last few years, it's obvious they are slow learners.

Tom

I think this is very true. Yesterday, my travel agent found out about the cancellations after waiting on the phone for Carnival for 90 minutes! Much later in the day, the travel agents were finally apprised of the situation on the Carnival website for the TA's. Before that, she and I were looking feverishly for info over the web and found it on John Heald's blog. That's crazy!

“Our team of experts has worked virtually around the clock to determine the best set of solutions and rapidly develop an effective implementation plan for both of these ships. Moving forward, we will have the ability to source materials and schedule improvements much more expediently, thus minimizing the scheduling impact on other vessels.

it seems quite a few posters are missing these two sentences. they need to source the new fire suppression equipment in the area where the triumph is being repaired...they probably have to source the next generation back up generators in that area too. hopefully they have access to this equipment already at the fincantieri ship yards....but will still have to order it and it takes time to be delivered...

i do feel bad for everyone who have had their cruises cancelled...some multiple times...but i am all for them going the extra mile to make sure they have done everything in their power to make both these ship safer.

I think they are communicating, but just with themselves.

I kept hearing about everyone getting great OBC on this last sale.

But the Magic just went up in price !

I guess someone at Carnival new that Triumph was not going to sail.

So they knew that some of them would try and book Magic.

So lets Jack up the prices.

But it is only $100 more for an inside, than what it was two weeks ago.

:rolleyes:

I know for some vacations are difficult to reschedule -- especially for couples that both work. For those who were going on the Triumph, one option might be going to San Antonio (my home town). There is lots to see and do there, including the river walk, the large zoo in Brackenridge park, Seaworld, and Fiesta Texas, plus of course the historical places like the Alamo and missions. San Antonio is about a 3-hour drive from Houston on I-10 west. No, it is not a cruise, but at least it give you something to do for your vacation.

Archived