What should I bring home

My husband and I will be stopping at Antalya, Turkey, on our cruise this fall. I've read about which souvenirs we should look for at our other ports and would like to know what great souvenirs other travelers have brought home from Turkey.

I know shopping is subjective but Rugs & Leather products seem to be the big thing here. Some of the tote bags almost look like a Turkish carpets and seemed to be sold in many places and were interesting. Both my daughter and I bought leather coats & purses of exceptional quality at a very good price For souveniers w bought small purse size makeup mirrors for 5 euros, coin purses for about 1 euro, mosaic type desk lamps for about 25 euros, and pashima-like scarves for about 15 euros. The turkish delight candy sold in boxes tasted old, so unless you are buying it fresh, dont buy the boxed stuff as it was pretty nasty tasting. Be prepared to negotiate prices.

My husband and I will be stopping at Antalya, Turkey, on our cruise this fall. I've read about which souvenirs we should look for at our other ports and would like to know what great souvenirs other travelers have brought home from Turkey.

You can buy just about everything in turkey.............. the jewellery is good value as long as you know a little about prices I have had soe amazing deals. also the tee shirts are really good and wash great. leather very good quality to also fake watches are really good too. as I say you can get most things there so if you love shopping turkey is the place for you happy shopping

also fake watches are really good too.

The fake watches are really good. My last time in Kusadasi the guide even pointed out a roadside billboard that advertised "Genuine Fake Watches". Had to chuckle at that. Anyway, that will be on my list this summer when we return. Last time I looked at a fake Rado Ceramic. I wasn't interested enough to buy so I never negotiated. The original asking price was $100 US. I suspect I could have gotten it for almost half of that. Having said all of that, you can probably get cheaper fakes in NYC Chinatown.

BAGS!!!!!! They have some of the most amazing bags, in all colours and designs. Make sure you haggle HARD and you'll get a good deal, I bought 4 last year and will be looking for some more later this year.

Pashmina type wraps and shawls can be pretty good value, too.

If you buy anything in Turkey, except at a department type store or grocery you must bargain. Consider the asked for price at least double what you should pay. Bargaining is a way of life in this part of the World.

After two trips to Istanbul and Kusadasi (3rd this October) I have bought a bunch of stuff. I love to shop.

Pashminas- Istanbul - grand bazaar

Leather coat - Kusadasi - bazaar

Emroidered pillow covers - Istanbul - shop along the street to grand bazaar

Beautiful silver jewelry - Sirince (small village near Kusadasi)

watercolor prints of ancient Istanbul - in the Hagia Sophia gift shop

Hand crocheted and embroidered tablecloth/napkins - Sirince

local wine - Sirince

embroidered linen dress - shops outside Ephesus

Thats all I can think of right now..... probably more tho :D

Amber jewellery, but make sure you can tell the real thing from fake.

Pashminas for sure. Beautiful circular tile trivets, cheap ones for use, nicer ones to hang.

I don't consider any of this to be "souvenirs" except perhaps the trivets--there is just so much beautiful stuff for sale--leathers, fabrics, great place to buy decor pieces for your home.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If a rug of any size is more money and hassle than you want to deal with, consider buying things made from rug scraps. My favorite Turkish souvenirs are the "smoking" slippers and throw pillow covers made from scraps of Kilim rugs. (Kilim is the name for the flat weave, more rustic, rugs that contrast with the classic cut pile double-knotted version.)

Anything that can be made from sturdy cloth can be made from pieces of Kilim rugs. Below, I've supplied a link to a web site that shows you samples of the things made from carpet you might expect to see in Turkey. (Page 3 of this web site shows the type of shoes I bought: the "smoking" slippers)

I don't know anything about current prices in Turkey, but the online prices range from $5.00 for a key ring with a tiny fragment of carpet sewn in the middle to several hundred dollars for purses.

http://yurdan.com/category/apparel--accessories#p=2

Archived