Hotel HELP for New York cruise port area

djaustin

Can anyone assist with some hotel advice for New York hotels? We have a Canada cruise scheduled September 14, 2013 leaving out of New York. We will be flying into New York on Friday the 13th. As we know nothing of the New York area, I am assuming the best airport will be LaGuardia. I have been doing extensive searches for hotels and do not know what area to concentrate on without spending as much for the hotel as the cruise cost. (Haha) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The port terminal that Carnival uses is located along the Hudson River just off 12th Avenue and near 49th Street. This is not a particularly good neighborhood for hotels, restaurants, or just plain tourists. My advice is to simply choose a well-located hotel somewhere in mid-town or perhaps up closer to Central Park where you can really enjoy walking the streets, have plenty of good eating venues, and can also go shopping. When its time to get to your cruise you will simply take a taxi directly to the port. The taxi fare will be relatively low no matter where you stay so that should not be the major factor.

Hank

The port terminal that Carnival uses is located along the Hudson River just off 12th Avenue and near 49th Street. This is not a particularly good neighborhood for hotels, restaurants, or just plain tourists. My advice is to simply choose a well-located hotel somewhere in mid-town or perhaps up closer to Central Park where you can really enjoy walking the streets, have plenty of good eating venues, and can also go shopping. When its time to get to your cruise you will simply take a taxi directly to the port. The taxi fare will be relatively low no matter where you stay so that should not be the major factor.

Hank

Check out the Hotel Pennsylvania 34 th & Eigth Ave. across the street from Penn Station. It's an old hotel, but well maintained, close to the middle of everything, and probably the most reasonably priced mid-town hotel. If you have a choice, fly into La Guardia -- a $35 cab ride to mid town. The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is a 15 minute $15 cab ride from mid town.

Archived