Marriott Marquis to Port?

jandb84

Hi. We are cruising on the Breakaway in June and plan to stay at the Marriott Marquis. Is it doable to walk from the hotel to the pier? It looks like it on Mapquest...but idk what other factors to consider. There are 3 of us and we'll each probably have a large rolling suitcase and maybe a carry-on. Thoughts about the walk or hotel are very welcome!

I've stayed at the Marquis numerous times for business. If I were staying pre-cruise, I would just go down to street level and have one of the doormen hail a cab for me. The Marriott is at 45th and Broadway-7th Avenue; the port is at 50th (roughly) and 12th Avenue. It may not seem far, but I wouldn't want to do it with luggage. Going east to west, the blocks are long. (Just yesterday I walked with a carry-on bag from 44th and 6th Avenue to Penn Station - 33rd and 7th - and my arms were killing me.:o) Cabs are plentiful and not terribly expensive. Just be sure to tip the doorman who hails the cab for you and helps with your luggage (trust me, there isn't anyone at the Marriott who will refuse a tip:p).

As for the hotel itself, the rooms are typical Marriott. Spacious and if you're in the right room you can get a nice view of the river. (Otherwise you're looking at offices at 1515 Broadway or 1585 Broadway. I've watched more poor souls working late into the night in those buildings.) The signature restaurant is The View, a revolving restaurant at the top of the building. The views are great, but the food is nothing special. Instead, I'd go to The View Lounge for a pre-dinner cocktail to enjoy the view, then head out to a restaurant - there are tons within walking distance. Don't settle for one of the chains like Applebees or Bubba Gump's - you can do much better.

Hope this helps!

Can you tell me how well the Marquis treat their Marriott gold members? Had a bad experience at the London St Pancras hotel last month, and don't want to waste my hard earned reward points on a hotel that doesn't appreciate brand loyalty!

I'm not crazy about the Marquis because there is a lot of traffic of non-hotel guests on the property. I think you might be able to do better, especially if you are a gold member. I am saying that as someone who has used the restrooms, bars, gone to the theater, and even rode the elevators without being a guest. But the location is right in the center of Times Square. Do you have any other choices using your points?

Can you tell me how well the Marquis treat their Marriott gold members? Had a bad experience at the London St Pancras hotel last month, and don't want to waste my hard earned reward points on a hotel that doesn't appreciate brand loyalty!

Archived