James Michener's "Alaska"

karen of PA

I have started reading James Michener's novel "Alaska" in preparation for our May cruise to Alaska. I'm determined to have it finished before our trip. The book is 774 pages long so I may have to spend less time on cruise critic if I want to finish it. It's slow reading but I'm learning alot and I am now totally "in the mood" for Alaska. I'm so much in the mood that I find that I am having to wear my woolen socks and waterproof pants while reading it. :D:D:D

Your are a better person than me , A friend gave me the same book before my Alaska cruise and I just could not start such a huge book.I see you are from Pa. as was James Michener (Bucks county) his books were wildly popular in his day and he made a lot of money and has done a lot of good after his passing. One wit once said of Micheners books that each one starts with the big bang.Good luck with the book and cruise.

My wife enjoys his novels. She read "Alaska" before we took our first Alaska cruise in 2009 on the Star Princess. I haven't read it myself, but she enjoyed it.

You might enjoy viewing the slideshows she made from the pictures she took on our cruises. They are listed below.

Alaska Aug 2012 on Radiance of the Seas (southbound Seward to Vancouver) http://nancysoasis.com/alaska2012/alaska2012.html

Alaska Aug 2009 Inside Passage (Seattle roundtrip) http://nancysoasis.com/2009Alaska/2009Alaska.html

Happy Cruising!

I just finished the book in anticipation of our AK cruise in August. I enjoy his books, but I thought this one needed a little editing --- more so than some of his others. But I did learn a lot about AK history and pre-history. I think it will give me a much better understanding of what we will see. I thought the best parts of the book were the sections on the time just before and during the Russian development and the sections on the gold rush eras (I didn't know there was a second one in Nome). I also thought his background on the diffferences between the First People were very educational. Anyway, hang in there, I think you will find it worth it.

I was reading that novel while on our Alaska cruise last summer. I was very happy to be reading about Skagway when we were there. And then once we got home, finishing it up helped me to hang on tothe vacation...felt like I was still there.

I have started reading James Michener's novel "Alaska" in preparation for our May cruise to Alaska. I'm determined to have it finished before our trip. The book is 774 pages long so I may have to spend less time on cruise critic if I want to finish it. It's slow reading but I'm learning alot and I am now totally "in the mood" for Alaska. I'm so much in the mood that I find that I am having to wear my woolen socks and waterproof pants while reading it. :D:D:D

Oh, I feel the same way! Haven't gotten to the book yet, but at night, when DH was flipping through channels, we have watched so many shows regarding Alaska! Besides the state trooper ones :eek: there was an episode about Alaska on Man Vs. Food, and a couple of ones on Alaska on Bizarre Foods! Travel Channel also explored a bunch of excursions in Alaska--just so much fun to see where we will be!

I purchased a lot of items for Alaska (hiking boots, fleece pants, 3-in-1 jacket, zip up fleece, etc.) and find I'm wearing them/using them daily, and thinking about Alaska.

And then of course, I pore over these forums, looking for reviews and pictures. So exciting to go someplace new.

Enjoy your trip!

I will say on the first cruise to Alaska I read his book. It was great for a while... I think I ended up skipping about 200 pages and really don't think I missed anything.

Another great book is Looking for Alaska, i don't remember who wrote it but it is great..

Have a Wonderful Cruise.

paula

Fundamentally Alaskans were disappointed when this book came out. Family members recalled that he sent a committee of researchers to do the data collecting (typical of his work) and they got a lot wrong.

He got by with a great deal as his work was fiction.

Amazon.com has many fine books about Alaska, many by Alaskans. If you have a Kindle or another e-reader, the books make light weight reading material prior to an Alaska trip.

I have a fine collection of Alaska fiction and non-fiction myself in paper books and am gradually buying as many of them as I can in e-books. I have at least 30 on my KindlePaperWhite now.

Fundamentally Alaskans were disappointed when this book came out.

they got a lot wrong.

I agree. I read a lot of historical fiction, and there are certain things you take for granted that should be correct. Reading "Alaska" made me rethink his other books.:(

Fundamentally Alaskans were disappointed when this book came out. Family members recalled that he sent a committee of researchers to do the data collecting (typical of his work) and they got a lot wrong.

Amazon.com has many fine books about Alaska, many by Alaskans. If you have a Kindle or another e-reader, the books make light weight reading material prior to an Alaska trip.

I have a fine collection of Alaska fiction and non-fiction myself in paper books and am gradually buying as many of them as I can in e-books. I have at least 30 on my KindlePaperWhite now.

If you had to recommend one book to read before a cruise (my 1st to Alaska this July), which book?

PennyAgain is so correct about how disappointed Alaskans were when Michener's book was published. A team of researchers worked out of the Alaska and Polar Regions Department at the Rasmuson Library (University of Alaska Fairbanks) here in Fairbanks for awhile and also worked out of the Sheldon Jackson College in Sitka. Michener actually spent some time in Fairbanks, and also visited one of the Yukon villages. After reading the book I really wondered why they even spent the effort.

This book was discussed on this forum about a year ago and those of us who dared to criticize took some anger from his fans. Any one who reads it to obtain any understanding of Alaskan history, Alaskan first nation cultures or contemporary Alaskan lifestyle is wasting their time. The "history" is highly inaccurate, the representation of first nations cultures is just strange, and the representation of what it is like to actually live here is equally strange and distorted. For example, in terms of history, Michener's book has Russians living where they didn't settle at all, the gold rush eras are inaccurate, the portrayal of the movement for statehood is just fantasy. And you always know when you have met someone who has read the book when they make a statement which indicates that they think that the Yukon River enters the Bering Sea at Nome. I could go on and on and on.

His fans state that if they wanted to read history they will read history, and they understand that his book is fiction. But it is very difficult to erase the misrepresentations from your mind, particularly when you don't know what is inaccurate or distorted.

The Sue Henry and Dana Stabenow books are fiction, but still provide an excellent insight in to the Alaskan lifestyle. I have so many favorite Alaskan books, but one that I frequently recommend is "Shadows on the Koyukuk" by Sidney Huntington. Astrohip: If you let us know what topics you find interesting the Alaskans who read this forum will provide some recommendations.

Your are a better person than me , A friend gave me the same book before my Alaska cruise and I just could not start such a huge book.I see you are from Pa. as was James Michener (Bucks county) his books were wildly popular in his day and he made a lot of money and has done a lot of good after his passing. One wit once said of Micheners books that each one starts with the big bang.Good luck with the book and cruise.

Thanks for your well wishes. I actually read Michener's "Hawaii" last year before our trip to Hawaii. So I feel somewhat obligated (kidding) to finish "Alaska". Alaska is our last state to visit to complete our bucket list wish of visiting all of the states in the USA!

My wife enjoys his novels. She read "Alaska" before we took our first Alaska cruise in 2009 on the Star Princess. I haven't read it myself, but she enjoyed it.

You might enjoy viewing the slideshows she made from the pictures she took on our cruises. They are listed below.

Alaska Aug 2012 on Radiance of the Seas (southbound Seward to Vancouver) http://nancysoasis.com/alaska2012/alaska2012.html

Alaska Aug 2009 Inside Passage (Seattle roundtrip) http://nancysoasis.com/2009Alaska/2009Alaska.html

Happy Cruising!

Thanks so much for sharing the slideshows. Your wife's pictures are amazing!

I just finished the book in anticipation of our AK cruise in August. I enjoy his books' date=' but I thought this one needed a little editing --- more so than some of his others. But I did learn a lot about AK history and pre-history. I think it will give me a much better understanding of what we will see. I thought the best parts of the book were the sections on the time just before and during the Russian development and the sections on the gold rush eras (I didn't know there was a second one in Nome). I also thought his background on the diffferences between the First People were very educational. Anyway, hang in there, I think you will find it worth it.[/quote']

I also enjoyed reading about the Russians' occupation of the territory. In fact, I am tutoring a Russian woman to teach her English and we have been discussing this and sharing notes from two completely different perspectives. It has been very interesting.

PennyAgain is so correct about how disappointed Alaskans were when Michener's book was published. A team of researchers worked out of the Alaska and Polar Regions Department at the Rasmuson Library (University of Alaska Fairbanks) here in Fairbanks for awhile and also worked out of the Sheldon Jackson College in Sitka. Michener actually spent some time in Fairbanks, and also visited one of the Yukon villages. After reading the book I really wondered why they even spent the effort.

This book was discussed on this forum about a year ago and those of us who dared to criticize took some anger from his fans. Any one who reads it to obtain any understanding of Alaskan history, Alaskan first nation cultures or contemporary Alaskan lifestyle is wasting their time. The "history" is highly inaccurate, the representation of first nations cultures is just strange, and the representation of what it is like to actually live here is equally strange and distorted. For example, in terms of history, Michener's book has Russians living where they didn't settle at all, the gold rush eras are inaccurate, the portrayal of the movement for statehood is just fantasy. And you always know when you have met someone who has read the book when they make a statement which indicates that they think that the Yukon River enters the Bering Sea at Nome. I could go on and on and on.

His fans state that if they wanted to read history they will read history, and they understand that his book is fiction. But it is very difficult to erase the misrepresentations from your mind, particularly when you don't know what is inaccurate or distorted.

The Sue Henry and Dana Stabenow books are fiction, but still provide an excellent insight in to the Alaskan lifestyle. I have so many favorite Alaskan books, but one that I frequently recommend is "Shadows on the Koyukuk" by Sidney Huntington. Astrohip: If you let us know what topics you find interesting the Alaskans who read this forum will provide some recommendations.

I must say that I never expected my original post to become so controversial.

Well, I didn't post to be the start of an argument, just reality.

I'm convinced that anything from Alaska Geographic would be helpful to a vistior (check your local libraries) and also the MilePost which is a generally helpful book on traveling Alaska if driving.

I'm old enough and lucky enough to have met many old Alaskan pioneers who gave me the benefit of their life stories. Sadly most are gone now.

My favorite non-technical book about Alaskan 'old days' is Alaska Sourgough by Ruth Allman, The real stuff by a real Alaskan! which is part history and part cookbook. The last afternoon I spent with Ruth Allman in Juneau was in September long years ago. She was up in years and sad to see the 'last rose of summer'. As she and I looked out of her kitchen window over her garden she gave me advice for living which I repeat in my head often, plenty often.

Bless her!

Amazon.com has many books on Alaska and many e-books are cheap or free.

Best wishes to all traveling north to Alaska. May your dreams come true!

Pennyagain so right on about Milepost I would always check it out at Borders and was always amazed at how many people bought it. Do that many people travel to Alaska.

Yes, they do!

And also, Alaskans buy it. We're driving the Alaska Highway, and we'll be getting one before we leave.

I must say that I never expected my original post to become so controversial.

Karen: If you are seeking a book which provides historical background or any realistic feel for life in Alaska, in my opinion, Michener's "Alaska" just doesn't fill that niche. Would you prefer not to know what Alaskan's (or in Penney's case, a former Alaskan who returns here on a very frequent basis) think about the book?

Pennyagain so right on about Milepost I would always check it out at Borders and was always amazed at how many people bought it. Do that many people travel to Alaska.

dolittle: The first Mileposts were published shortly after the Alcan Highway was opened for civilian traffic. The Alcan was a WWII construction project. The Alaska and Polar Regions Department of the Rasmuson Library (University of Alaska Fairbanks) has copies of some of the earliest Mileposts, and they are a hoot to see and hold. They are essentially the size of a pamphlet as they are much smaller than a contemporary Reader's Digest.

And you might be surprised how many people drive to Alaska. It is a bucket list item for many RV owners.

Karen: If you are seeking a book which provides historical background or any realistic feel for life in Alaska, in my opinion, Michener's "Alaska" just doesn't fill that niche. Would you prefer not to know what Alaskan's (or in Penney's case, a former Alaskan who returns here on a very frequent basis) think about the book?

I would love to finish reading Michener's book and then read an additional historical fiction book that more accurately depicts the history of Alaska. It would be very interesting to discover Michener's inconsistencies. Most of the books that have been recommended on this post have been either mysteries or books about daily life in Alaska. Is there a book that has more historical information included?

Archived