James Michener's "Alaska"

karen of PA

Astrohip: If you let us know what topics you find interesting the Alaskans who read this forum will provide some recommendations.

A book that gives the general history of Alaska, so someone who knows *nothing* about it has a sense of history. Why are there totem poles, who created them, gold rushes?, purchase by America, etc. A broad overview, so one can learn the history, the peoples, etc.

I always find it interesting when I visit a place so foreign to me, to learn its "story".

Thanks for asking!

Karen: If you are seeking a book which provides historical background or any realistic feel for life in Alaska, in my opinion, Michener's "Alaska" just doesn't fill that niche. Would you prefer not to know what Alaskan's (or in Penney's case, a former Alaskan who returns here on a very frequent basis) think about the book?

There are plenty of local WEB sites for Alaska towns that have very good history components. It sometimes seems that half of Alaskans write books and articles about Alaska during the long winters.

After slogging through 777 pages of Michener, I think a little lighter reading is due.

Hope, Alaska's "We get 100's of visitors a year" is an example. Hope is across Turnagain Arm from about Bird Point.

Most town's newspapers have WEB pages with a great deal of local info. Anchorage Daily News has some great history articles that can be accessed.

Think local and you'll find a lot of info.

A book that gives the general history of Alaska, so someone who knows *nothing* about it has a sense of history. Why are there totem poles, who created them, gold rushes?, purchase by America, etc. A broad overview, so one can learn the history, the peoples, etc.

I always find it interesting when I visit a place so foreign to me, to learn its "story".

Thanks for asking!

Astrohip: One title you might consider is "An Alaska Anthology: Interpreting the Past." The editors (Steve Haycox and Mary Mangusso) are both history professors in the University of Alaska system. This excellent anthology covers a range of topics ranging from Russian America, the sale to the United States to a discussion of one of our most beloved governors (who prior to statehood actually opposed statehood). And to those who are wondering -- no I am not Mary, but she is a dear friend.

Another addition to Penny's list of local websites visitors might find interesting I want to add the Alaska Dispatch (http://www.alaskadispatch.com). It is an online newspaper with a number of interesting articles. They also have some great photos -- look at their aurora photos.

I must say that I never expected my original post to become so controversial.

It really shouldn't be controversial. If people want to recommend other books that's fine, but no one should be made to feel bad about a book they have already started to read and enjoy. Personally I'm a Michener fan. I understand his history is not always completely accurate to the T, but I find him a wonderful storyteller who brings moments in time to life with interesting characters and sagas. There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy "Alaska" as a work of historical fiction and there is no doubt that having read it will add to your enjoyment of your cruise.

It really shouldn't be controversial. If people want to recommend other books that's fine, but no one should be made to feel bad about a book they have already started to read and enjoy. Personally I'm a Michener fan. I understand his history is not always completely accurate to the T, but I find him a wonderful storyteller who brings moments in time to life with interesting characters and sagas. There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy "Alaska" as a work of historical fiction and there is no doubt that having read it will add to your enjoyment of your cruise.

Thank you!

Archived