Disappointed with Beverage Package

I really enjoyed the premium alcoholic beverage package on my last two Celebrity sailings, and I was pleased to see Royal start to offer it. But after looking more closely, I am really disappointed in the package. There are a lot of BIG differences:

Celebrity allows up to $12 per drink, and if you order something more expensive (scotch, brandy, glass of wine), you can do so and just pay the difference. On Royal, it's either on the package, or you pay the full price. And as such, you're stuck with the disappointing house wine.:(

Celebrity also includes bottled water, canned soda, premium coffees and fresh squeezed juices. Royal excludes all of these.:(

And then the kicker.... The Royal package is a dollar MORE per day!:mad:

I'm sure they have their reasons for structuring it this way. But it seems like it's going to really push people to overindulge, because they aren't able to gain value from non-alcoholic options. Really disappointing...

I haven't sailed on either cruise line (although I am booked on the EOS 5 Day bermuda in April), but how do the 2 stack up in terms of quality of brands of alochol?

Just because Carnival allows up to $12 per drink...does the quality of the alcohol reflect that price?

For example, if I pay $12 for a jose cuervo margarita on carnival, but that same drink cost me $7 on RCCL.....which is the better "deal"?

BTW, I am truly curious about this and not trying to be argumentative.

I haven't sailed on either cruise line (although I am booked on the EOS 5 Day bermuda in April), but how do the 2 stack up in terms of quality of brands of alochol?

Just because Carnival allows up to $12 per drink...does the quality of the alcohol reflect that price?

For example, if I pay $12 for a jose cuervo margarita on carnival, but that same drink cost me $7 on RCCL.....which is the better "deal"?

BTW, I am truly curious about this and not trying to be argumentative.

The OP said Celebrity, not Carnival. And since Celebrity and Royal are related, you'd think they'd offer similar packages... bummer.

I really enjoyed the premium alcoholic beverage package on my last two Celebrity sailings, and I was pleased to see Royal start to offer it. But after looking more closely, I am really disappointed in the package. There are a lot of BIG differences:

Celebrity allows up to $12 per drink, and if you order something more expensive (scotch, brandy, glass of wine), you can do so and just pay the difference. On Royal, it's either on the package, or you pay the full price. And as such, you're stuck with the disappointing house wine.:(

Celebrity also includes bottled water, canned soda, premium coffees and fresh squeezed juices. Royal excludes all of these.:(

And then the kicker.... The Royal package is a dollar MORE per day!:mad:

I'm sure they have their reasons for structuring it this way. But it seems like it's going to really push people to overindulge, because they aren't able to gain value from non-alcoholic options. Really disappointing...

I may be wrong but I also believe that with Celebrity not everyone in the stateroom has to purchase the package?

The OP said Celebrity, not Carnival. And since Celebrity and Royal are related, you'd think they'd offer similar packages... bummer.

It always amuses me when People think RCI and X would / should offer similar things just because they are both owned by RCCL.

How many People expect the same offers on Princess, HAL, Carnival, Cunard, Seaborn just because they are all owned by Carnival?

But the OP was COMPARING an all inclusive drinks package between Royal and Celebrity. ;) pros and cons. and thats fine.

I too couldn't help but compare since we just got off the Brilliance where we decided to try their premium package.

And after trying it once, we WON'T be using it again (unless it changes)

IT doesn't include the fresh squeezed juice in the morning or water, as the Celebrity package does, and thats a big minus.

(yes we have purchased the premium package on Celebrity)

And both packages are not great if you are a wine drinker.

They only offer wines by the glass, and the selection is very limited (even compared to what they offer by the bottle).

So if you like Italian wines, you are in trouble. (unless you can get the Food & Beverage Mgr to substitute, like we did) ;)

Everyone has to make their own decision however. IT works for some, and not for others.

When RCCL first piloted the unlimited beverage on the Grandeur in Panamá/Colombia last year, it did include fresh juices, specialty coffees, water, better wines, etc., and was practically identical to the Celebrity package.

I wonder why they have changed it so much in its roll-out fleet-wide.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Interested in the price limit per drink.as every I have seen has ordered any cocktail and been served it and some are pricey?

Also the premium package has an extensive list with top brands available.Besides moet and that top brandy ,and of course wines.it's all covered.

I'm disappointed that I can't buy the package because my room mate hardly drinks, yet she would have to order the package too! Why?

The cruiseline tested the package on three ships and found that one person would buy the package and share it with their cabinmate. So, they decided that everyone of age in a cabin must buy the package since some couldn't be trusted.

We are sailing in 3 weeks on Oasis, and I can honestly say I've changed my mind about 300 times already about purchasing this package! We are sailing with my in-laws for their 50th, and our two kids ( 12, 14)....As of right now we are NOT going to get the package. My husband really enjoys the expensive Belgian beers which I'm pretty sure are not included. I love fun martini drinks and frozen drinks, which I think are pretty much all included....which is why I wanted the package originally.

So NOW....I am feeling like between my husbands beer preferences, and traveling with older-inlaws and impressionable teens maybe we'd be better off not getting the package. The worst that could happen is we really DO drink a ton and spend a little more than $770....but in reality I think it'll be hard to drink "hard" for 7 days....I think if we get the package we'll end up forcing ourselves to drink.....The best that can happen is that we will spend less than $770 and save some calories and brain cells ...

I can't believe how hard this decision has been to make...I bet it'll literally come down to deciding when we board in 3 weeks!

Has this been a really hard decision for some of you also??

THanks!

We too had been going back and forth trying to make the decision to buy or not. We have purchased the package on Celebrity and it was worth every penny!! We were lucky enough to get the "free" package that was offered a few weeks ago when we booked our upcoming New Year's Eve cruise on the Eclipse. We just booked the Oasis for a late April sailing on our first big ship experience :-) At first we were going to purchase the package but looking at the fine print we backed off. I am really shocked that water wasn't included. The water was the decision maker, for the price....not worth it!!

We are sailing in 3 weeks on Oasis, and I can honestly say I've changed my mind about 300 times already about purchasing this package! We are sailing with my in-laws for their 50th, and our two kids ( 12, 14)....As of right now we are NOT going to get the package. My husband really enjoys the expensive Belgian beers which I'm pretty sure are not included. I love fun martini drinks and frozen drinks, which I think are pretty much all included....which is why I wanted the package originally.

So NOW....I am feeling like between my husbands beer preferences, and traveling with older-inlaws and impressionable teens maybe we'd be better off not getting the package. The worst that could happen is we really DO drink a ton and spend a little more than $770....but in reality I think it'll be hard to drink "hard" for 7 days....I think if we get the package we'll end up forcing ourselves to drink.....The best that can happen is that we will spend less than $770 and save some calories and brain cells ...

I can't believe how hard this decision has been to make...I bet it'll literally come down to deciding when we board in 3 weeks!

THanks!

I am having the same issues deciding too. I have about 58 days to decide.

THanks!

Yes, we have been back and forth just about as many times for a lot of the same reasons you express. We are doing the western route on Allure so really only have 2 days inports where we cannot use the package which makes us lean towards it. We probably will not make a decision until we board, but then again :cool:

It always amuses me when People think RCI and X would / should offer similar things just because they are both owned by RCCL.

How many People expect the same offers on Princess, HAL, Carnival, Cunard, Seaborn just because they are all owned by Carnival?

Don't be mean to me, I'm new :(

Going on my first ever cruise in a few weeks (!!!) and decided to skip the drink pkg - just didn't seem like a good deal, even though it would be more convenient. Had it included soda, bottled water & special coffees too, I would have bought it for sure. After I get my first completed, I can decide whether that was a good decision or if I should go for it on the next one.

Don't be mean to me, I'm new :(

Going on my first ever cruise in a few weeks (!!!) and decided to skip the drink pkg - just didn't seem like a good deal, even though it would be more convenient. Had it included soda, bottled water & special coffees too, I would have bought it for sure. After I get my first completed, I can decide whether that was a good decision or if I should go for it on the next one.

FYI! the package does include fountain soda, but not cans or the freestlye machines.

FYI! the package does include fountain soda, but not cans or the freestlye machines.

I'm new to RCI, so I will apologize in advance! What drinks exactly are included in the "fountain soda"? What drinks are totally free? We have purchased the soda package for all 5 of us (2 adults & 3 kids) and were thinking about purchasing a premium alcohol package for the two adults. Hubby & I like diet Coke and were wondering if we should cancel the soda package for us if we are going to purchase an alcohol package?? Thank you!!

I'm new to RCI, so I will apologize in advance! What drinks exactly are included in the "fountain soda"? What drinks are totally free? We have purchased the soda package for all 5 of us (2 adults & 3 kids) and were thinking about purchasing a premium alcohol package for the two adults. Hubby & I like diet Coke and were wondering if we should cancel the soda package for us if we are going to purchase an alcohol package?? Thank you!!

The soda package is built in the Alcohol package, so yes you would want to cancel the soda one.

The soda package is built in the Alcohol package, so yes you would want to cancel the soda one.

Just to reiterate, the alcohol package includes fountain soda, so the soda you get from the gun at the bar and that is it. With the soda package, you get the souvenir mug that can be used at the freestyle machines (self serve where you can mix flavors to make your own flavored soda, water, etc). The alcohol package does not include the mug or freestyle machine. To add to that, neither package, soda or alcohol, includes canned soda or room service.

Bottom line, as mpoole3 said, as long as you are ok with diet coke from the "gun" cancel your soda package if you are getting the alcohol package.

BTW, no need to worry about asking questions. Most are very helpful on this site. Just ignore any rude comments. I've learned over the years here to have a thick skin as well as the ability to hold your fingers back from responding (I loose that battle once in a while :cool: unfortunately).

akcruz, in terms of the soda, it would be available in the MDR as well correct?

So, by not buying the soda package basically means you lose out on the Freestyle machine.

As for the bev package...i pulled the trigger on the premium package. My DH and I don't really drink a lot of juice so "fresh squeezed" is a non-issue, nor do we really drink straight soda or "fine" wines. On past cruises we felt we limited ourselves (in terms of bar drinks) because we couldn't get past the mental block of all of the bar receipts.

Even if I can't get the "super-premium" beers and alcohols (which is a waste on DH anyway), I am sure that their premium offerings will more than suffice. IMHO the tradeoff between unlimited "absolut" or paying for chopin per drink is a no brainer.

The thing that gets me is the "everyone must buy it thing.

I cant drink for medical reasons as i had stomach surgery in december. however my BF would probably quite like the beverage package as he likes a glass of wine etc. |Yet he cant buy it for himself.

Archived