Room Question

Batchgal

We are booked end of May to Alaska on the Golden which is being updated right now. My TA told me my deck was level 8 which I assumed was high. She guaranteed a no obstructed balcony with assigned room number. However, when I look at it on the new ship map, it looks really low/middle (not on 8). The room is E201. Does anyone know? Also what options would I have in moving up?

We are booked end of May to Alaska on the Golden which is being updated right now. My TA told me my deck was level 8 which I assumed was high. She guaranteed a no obstructed balcony with assigned room number. However, when I look at it on the new ship map, it looks really low/middle (not on 8). The room is E201. Does anyone know? Also what options would I have in moving up?
The deck plans are your friend and it's always a good idea to check them before booking a cruise so you know and understand where a cabin is.

Unlike some cruise lines, Princess starts passenger decks with deck 5, Plaza deck. Deck 8 is Emerald deck. Actually, IMHO, I really like Emerald deck. What your TA has booked you in is the lowest/cheapest possible category for a balcony. You can pay more to be in a balcony on a higher deck, such as Aloha or Baja.

Not sure what you mean by the Golden Princess being "updated" as she's currently anchored off Lahaina, HI on a Hawaiian cruise. There is constant refreshing and updating on all cruise ships all the time.

I believe the Emerald deck is deck 8, so E201 is on deck 8. It is one of the lower passenger cabin decks. However, E201 is not a balcony and it is behind a lifeboat.
On the Golden, E201 is a balcony and, I believe, is partially obstructed in that the extension of the Promenade is directly in front of it. You'll have people walking past the balcony and able to see in.

On the Golden, E201 is a balcony and, I believe, is partially obstructed in that the extension of the Promenade is directly in front of it. You'll have people walking past the balcony and able to see in.

I would try to change. Those balconies are not private at all.

OMG thanks so much for the help! I've got an email into my TA now. Hopefully that works. If not, can I call Princess?
No. If you've booked through a TA, Princess will answer general questions but won't answer questions related to your booking. :( That's to make sure that a TA is in the loop.

Our last two cruises have been on the Golden, on the Emerald deck (a completely midships obstructed OV, but on port days, no obstruction from the tender boat) and on the Aloha deck (far aft inside). The deck plan will just be changing the categories for some (all?) cabins, but the cabins themselves won't be changing decks. And as stated above, the Golden is busily sailing the Hawaiian itinerary til late April/early May. Only daily maintenance will be going on in the meantime.

When you are on the ship, you'll see why part of deck 8 (Emerald) has obstructions. If you go for a run or walk on the outside Promenade, it will become apparent. In terms of decks, we felt the Emerald was halfway up on the ships, at least in terms of decks passengers can access. The Aloha is one deck below the Horizon (which was nice for us being aft as we can just go out the back way and up to the buffet) and below the pool area. But other people may prefer to be lower so for them, the Emerald is desirable.

I suspect you think that the Golden is being updated because the Princess web site asks when you are sailing before showing the deck plans. This is only because every ship is having the cabins reclassified for pricing purposes, not because of any actual changes to the ship.

I believe the Emerald deck is deck 8, so E201 is on deck 8. It is one of the lower passenger cabin decks. However, E201 is not a balcony and it is behind a lifeboat. E201 is a balcony cabin and is NOT behind a lifeboat.

As others have pointed out, this cabin has an unobstructed view but does have a walkway slightly below it where passengers can walk by. I personally would not mind a balcony in this location. Most of the time at night the walkway is closed so there will be nobody walking by then. A closed curtain will keep anyone from looking in anyway when it is dark or when you need privacy.

And, as others have noted, you are on deck 8.

Your travel agent did not mis-lead you. You have an unobstructed balcony cabin and you are on deck 8 and you have an assigned cabin number. I suspect you will be happy with that cabin.

Unless your reservation is marked "will not accept upgrade" (check with your TA to see if it is), there is a chance that Princess might upgrade you to a higher category of balcony cabin which would then be in a different location. Such an upgrade might or might not happen and if it does could happen anytime between now and embarkation.

Archived