Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

Sailwx doesn't have an update on her position within the last 24 hrs but at the last recorded time point visibility was only 1.1 miles. Sailwx QM2 report

On my first WB TA the ship was in this area and the fog was so thick one could stand on her propeller deck and literally not see the aft end of the ship. From the passenger perspective it cast an other-worldy ethereal atmosphere. From the operational perspective though it blinds the bridge crew except for radar. We would never have seen a vessel until right before it hit.

Edited by BlueRiband

Will be boarding QM2 pm Monday and looking forward.

Did the July 1-6 Halifax/Boston 3 times.You'll have a great time.

Recommendations

Halifax ...Atlantic Maritime Museum

and

COW best ice cream in.North America

Both a walk down the boardwalk from.the pier

Boston.

Its July 4, the place is mobbed, anything you'd like to see (MFA, Gardiner) are closed and its a bus ride with a fee from the dock which is all the way out by Logan Airport. We've made it a sea day, enjoyed the ship and watched the fireworks at night.

Edited by seavoyager6

QM2 due New York, Monday 1st July, 0745 :) .

On my first WB TA the ship was in this area and the fog was so thick one could stand on her propeller deck and literally not see the aft end of the ship.

On one WB crossing, one day in thick fog, I couldn't see the ocean when looking down from a Deck 5 balcony :eek: .

Edited by pepperrn

For those intereseted, there are two links to follow QM2.

Sailwx gives detailed updates on her position, speed, and weather conditions. Graphics are a bit crude but the operational details more than make up for it.

MarineTraffic has much better graphics and port maps can also be switched from graphic to satellite images. Their information will often be outdated if QM2 is out of AIS range. She should shortly be coming up near Sable Island and will fall within an AIS sector.

For those intereseted, there are two links to follow QM2.

Sailwx gives detailed updates on her position, speed, and weather conditions. Graphics are a bit crude but the operational details more than make up for it.

MarineTraffic has much better graphics and port maps can also be switched from graphic to satellite images. Their information will often be outdated if QM2 is out of AIS range. She should shortly be coming up near Sable Island and will fall within an AIS sector.

On Marine traffic, The QM2 is arriving ,estimated time, at 7:45 A.M.

Looks like a late arrival into NY

She entered AIS range Saturday night but her position isn't showing up on MarineTraffic as of this writing. Sailwx gave this summary:

Last reported at 2013-Jun-30 07:00 UTC. Time now 2013-Jun-30 18:39 UTC.

Position N 41°42' W 064°24'.

Average speed 22.2 knots

Visibility 2.2 miles

Wind from 230 at 23 knots

Waves 2.0 meters (7 feet), 3 second period

Barometer 1015.4 mb

Air temperature 20.4 ° C

Visibility: greater than 2.2 NM

Dewpoint 18.2 ° C

Water temperature 14.3 ° C

Edited by BlueRiband

Both sites are now updating her position more often as she aproaches New York. The Waypoint tool in MarineTraffic has her reaching the Verrazanno Narrows bridge about 5 AM at her current speed.

Last reported at 2013-Jul-01 01:33 UTC. Time now 2013-Jul-01 01:58 UTC.

Position N 40°32' W 071°06'.

Average speed 17.8 kn

I don't know what they consider "arrival time" - the time where she is securely moored or the time ready for disembarkation?

Both sites are now updating her position more often as she aproaches New York. The Waypoint tool in MarineTraffic has her reaching the Verrazanno Narrows bridge about 5 AM at her current speed.

Last reported at 2013-Jul-01 01:33 UTC. Time now 2013-Jul-01 01:58 UTC.

Position N 40°32' W 071°06'.

Average speed 17.8 kn

I don't know what they consider "arrival time" - the time where she is securely moored or the time ready for disembarkation?

Good news Blue Riband. Excellent reporting. QM2 should now be a rump line

Having some trouble figuring out the "why" for this thread. Is this QM2's first ever voyage across the deep and dangerous transatlantic circle route from Southampton to New York?
I think (but may well be wrong, usually am... :( ) that the OP was disappointed to discover that QM2 either...

wasn't spending 9 months (March/April-December/January approx) crossing and re-crossing the Atlantic,

and/or

that QM2 wasn't in New York when the OP wanted to sail to Europe on her. QM2 was cruising rather than crossing at that time.

However, I can see nothing wrong with a thread asking where the three ships are at any time, and members updating the thread as and when :) .

(To be honest, I can't understand the "why" behind half the threads on any CC board... :D )

Hope this helps, best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn