Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

There is a new strain of noro abounding in the UK. Noro is the type of virus that an infected person spreads a couple of days before the symptoms show. It's a very clever virus and seems to mutate so the human body is always behind in adapting to it.

There is a new strain of noro abounding in the UK. Noro is the type of virus that an infected person spreads a couple of days before the symptoms show. It's a very clever virus and seems to mutate so the human body is always behind in adapting to it.

Hi Pushka, very interesting. I did hear that there is strain of Noro in the UK.

This new strain is amazing then. I wonder if its carried on the ships from the UK?

Hi Pushka, very interesting. I did hear that there is strain of Noro in the UK.

This new strain is amazing then. I wonder if its carried on the ships from the UK?

well, i'd say a passenger brought it (unknowingly we hope) onboard with them. It takes two or three days to present, and then it is spread from there. And now mixing in the USA.

I posted on another thread a link to this, which says this new strain first presented in Australia - we've had a lot of noro outbreaks in Australia in the last 12 months, especially in WA (where my niece got it and was hospitalised) and in QLD - opposite "ends" of the country.

well, i'd say a passenger brought it (unknowingly we hope) onboard with them. It takes two or three days to present, and then it is spread from there. And now mixing in the USA.

I posted on another thread a link to this, which says this new strain first presented in Australia - we've had a lot of noro outbreaks in Australia in the last 12 months, especially in WA (where my niece got it and was hospitalised) and in QLD - opposite "ends" of the country.

hi , I'm sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she is feeling better.

amazing about this Noro and it's in Australia. It may be a global epidemic.

Here in New york, I think I will be more aware.

QM2 is now on a 7-day Transatlantic Crossing to Southampton:

22-Sep-13 New York

23-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

24-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

25-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

26-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

27-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

28-Sep-13 7-day EB to Southampton

29-Sep-13 Southampton

Please note I am not being critical of the QE2 and I am sure that compared to her peers she was indeed a state of the art 'liner' and a trend setter for the new type of cruise holidays :)

Apart from the size of the QM2, her design, she also has stabilisers and other items of technological wonder that helps to keep her far more stable than the older vessel. Having said all this, no matter how hard they try, ships cannot defy the laws of physics and even this iconic vessel will sometimes have to play second fiddle to mother nature ;);)

The QM2 is sailing back to Southampton .

QM2 will shortly begin the "Rocker Cruise":

29-Sep-13 Southampton

30-Sep-13 At sea to Hamburg

1-Oct-13 Hamburg

2-Oct-13 At sea to Elsinore, Denmark

3-Oct-13 Elsinore, Denmark

4-Oct-13 Oslo, Norway

5-Oct-13 At sea to Hamburg

6-Oct-13 Hamburg

7-Oct-13 At sea to Southampton

8-Oct-13 Southampton

Can't wait for the reports from those who expected a quiet, gentile experience. God save Cunard's Queen. :(

QM2 will shortly begin the "Rocker Cruise":

29-Sep-13 Southampton

30-Sep-13 At sea to Hamburg

1-Oct-13 Hamburg

2-Oct-13 At sea to Elsinore, Denmark

3-Oct-13 Elsinore, Denmark

4-Oct-13 Oslo, Norway

5-Oct-13 At sea to Hamburg

6-Oct-13 Hamburg

7-Oct-13 At sea to Southampton

8-Oct-13 Southampton

Can't wait for the reports from those who expected a quiet, gentile experience. God save Cunard's Queen. :(

Yes, except I'm certain you meant to type genteel rather than gentile.

On a different note, I'm wondering about the status of the Noro outbreak (having been on the 10Sept Canada cruise where Code Red was apparent.) -S.

From what I've read, the noro virus can also be transmitted by contaminated food and/or water. Of course, infected passengers and crew members can transmit the virus, as can contaimated surfaces that we touch.* To identify the source is quite a challenge.

*Source: http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/

Edited by Salacia

Yes, except I'm certain you meant to type genteel rather than gentile.

On a different note, I'm wondering about the status of the Noro outbreak (having been on the 10Sept Canada cruise where Code Red was apparent.) -S.

Let's make sure a misspelling doesn't go unnoticed.

Regarding Noro, no news is good news.

We embarked 1700 Germans today. There were about 700 in-transits. We went off noro alert mid-way through the transatlantic and we'll see how things progress. There seems to be a cold bug going around.

We embarked 1700 Germans today. There were about 700 in-transits. We went off noro alert mid-way through the transatlantic and we'll see how things progress. There seems to be a cold bug going around.

Hi lannp. Very happy to hear the gasto-intestinal illness is under control. I hope that the weather is good so you can spend as much time as possible outside enjoying the fresh air. Best wishes for your continued good health...looking forward to reading about the rest of your voyage when you have the time. Regards, -S.

Hi Pushka, I was looking at Norovirus ,history. It seems that a few months

ago, HM Queen Elizabeth was infected by Norovirus and she wasn't on board the QM2. My point is ,this Noro as you suggested is a land virus ,in the UK>

I have seen increased food poisoning in the US ,but this is not the Noro.

This strain of Noro is from people ,not food?

I am slightly confused by your post but having said that I am always in a state of confusion. The Queen Mary 2 per year does more trans Atlantic trips than her predecessor IF, if we pretend her predecessor was the QE2. The Queen Mary might not be as fast as the QE2 but on just about everything else ism she a better ship? She is without any shadow of a doubt a better sea going vessel, a more stable vessel and might I suggest she is more luixurious?

The only better looking ships in my opinion are those belonging to my fleet but sadly trips on those two vessels are by invitation only :eek::p

But if your ships are spanking clean new ,new, and picked up the norovirus,

or lots of coughing , all over the ship.......whos fault? GLOGO fleet?

Hi Pushka, I was looking at Norovirus ,history. It seems that a few months

ago, HM Queen Elizabeth was infected by Norovirus and she wasn't on board the QM2. My point is ,this Noro as you suggested is a land virus ,in the UK>

I have seen increased food poisoning in the US ,but this is not the Noro.

This strain of Noro is from people ,not food?

Noro is worldwide. In the Australian summer six months ago a new strain was identified in Australia. It is a human transmission illness and not caused by bad food. So it isn't any 'objects' fault its us humans. The trouble is that people can infect others well before symptoms arise. For approx 2 days. Then the symptoms hit but by then you've already spread it to others. Unknowingly. Once you get noro there is no way you want to get put of bed, except to go to the bathroom. With bucket in lap.

QM2's webcam shows her at sea but according to the Sea-scanner and Cruise-Timetables websites she's supposed to be in Helsingor, Denmark today.

Anyone got any information?

That's the same. QM2 will not dock at Elsinore, so, depending on the direction of the ship's bow it will look like beeing at sea. You will notice the small red Cunard flag at the bow when the ship is anchored ore docked.

QM2's webcam shows her at sea but according to the Sea-scanner and Cruise-Timetables websites she's supposed to be in Helsingor, Denmark today.

Anyone got any information?

This is a tender port and QM2 anchored and launched a few tenders but the conditions were deemed too rough to tender passengers ashore so the boats were recovered, the anchor was weighed and she set sail for an early arrival in Copenhagen. Looks like an unexpected overnight stop.

That's the same. QM2 will not dock at Elsinore, so, depending on the direction of the ship's bow it will look like beeing at sea. You will notice the small red Cunard flag at the bow when the ship is anchored ore docked.

I looked for the red Cunard flag flying on the webcam but can't see it.

If I'm reading the Marine Traffic website correctly, it shows the ship at sea. And on that website it doesn't show the QM2 in port at Helsignor.

Edited by Ray66

This is a tender port and QM2 anchored and launched a few tenders but the conditions were deemed too rough to tender passengers ashore so the boats were recovered, the anchor was weighed and she set sail for an early arrival in Copenhagen. Looks like an unexpected overnight stop.

Exactly, I just checked the course and was about to give the same information. Copenhagen in the evening is very nice, so people probably would'nt complain.

I'll drive up to Copenhagen in a few hours expecting to meet the ship and to have a nice theatre evening (tickets purchased 6 months ago...)

Ah right. Thank you for the information.

Oslo will be the next Port. Elsinore was port for Copenhagen as QM2 is too large for Copenhagen ports.

Exactly, I just checked the course and was about to give the same information. Copenhagen in the evening is very nice, so people probably would'nt complain.

I'll drive up to Copenhagen in a few hours expecting to meet the ship and to have a nice theatre evening (tickets purchased 6 months ago...)

HI, so you drive north from? pass Kiel and the Danish/German border

to meet the QM2?