Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

The QM2 is sailing on the Traditional Transatlantic crossing from Southampton.

The Crossing will be a bit rough,as there are some lows. There will be seas

from 8 to 15 ft. estimated, mid voyage.

WAVE000.GIF

The QM2 sailed out of Newport , Rhode Island . Sailing North past Nantucket,

off the coast of New England.

The coast line off Rhode Island is very rocky and shallow at many areas.The Weather can be foggy ,and very dense fog.(Andrea Doria sank in a collision with the s/s Stockholm in this area)

The QE2 went aground off Newport, Rhode Island. Passengers were disembarked . (wearing Life Preservers). There were buses at the dock that took the passengers to the KINGSTON TRAIN STATION,IN WEST KINGSTON,RHODE ISLAND).They boarded Amtrack to New York.

Edited by turquoise 6
ideas

Hopefully when QM2 reaches the Port of Bar Harbor, Maine, the weather will be better than it was when QM2 anchored off the port on Friday 13 September 2013.

That day, the tenders were delayed due to fog. But when the fog cleared somewhat and one and then two tenders were sent ashore. The fog thickened. The tenders disappeared into the fog within seconds. Passengers on board those two tenders can give a first hand account of what happened next.

The captain announced over the tannoy that the third tender had been returned to the ship, having been turned back before reaching shore. The first tender and second tender subsequently returned to the ship. Later in the afternoon, tender service was resumed.

I watched from my balcony the fog descending and lifting in the most unpredictable patterns. I believe that was a really difficult day for the captain and crew. But the end result is that they obviously did their job well. And from what I heard from passengers aboard the first two tenders, passengers are also to be commended for their composure and for following protocol.

But back to the current QM2 voyage - I hope everyone has an enjoyable time in the port of Bar Harbor. (Spend a lot of money on shore because we didn't get a chance to do that in September:) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hopefully when QM2 reaches the Port of Bar Harbor, Maine, the weather will be better than it was when QM2 anchored off the port on Friday 13 September 2013.

That day, the tenders were delayed due to fog. But when the fog cleared somewhat and one and then two tenders were sent ashore. The fog thickened. The tenders disappeared into the fog within seconds. Passengers on board those two tenders can give a first hand account of what happened next.

The captain announced over the tannoy that the third tender had been returned to the ship, having been turned back before reaching shore. The first tender and second tender subsequently returned to the ship. Later in the afternoon, tender service was resumed.

I watched from my balcony the fog descending and lifting in the most unpredictable patterns. I believe that was a really difficult day for the captain and crew. But the end result is that they obviously did their job well. And from what I heard from passengers aboard the first two tenders, passengers are also to be commended for their composure and for following protocol.

But back to the current QM2 voyage - I hope everyone has an enjoyable time in the port of Bar Harbor. (Spend a lot of money on shore because we didn't get a chance to do that in September:) Cheers, -S.

Thanks Salacia. Right now as I type this the QM2 is sailing towards Boston. Arrival around 10 AM. I had an enjoyable day in Newport. I am also enjoying being aboard the QM2. Regards from the QM2, Jerry

Thanks Salacia. Right now as I type this the QM2 is sailing towards Boston. Arrival around 10 AM. I had an enjoyable day in Newport. I am also enjoying being aboard the QM2. Regards from the QM2, Jerry

Ahoy Jerry! Very happy to hear you are enjoying your voyage. Have a wonderful day in Boston please :) Regards, Salacia

Hopefully when QM2 reaches the Port of Bar Harbor, Maine, the weather will be better than it was when QM2 anchored off the port on Friday 13 September 2013..

I had no idea that it was Friday the 13th. :eek:

I got some great shots of the QM2 from port. Only the top half was showing.....really eerie......2 minutes later she was gone completely.

Jerry, I think the N/E Canada trip is one of my very favorites. Enjoy. :)

I had no idea that it was Friday the 13th. :eek:

I got some great shots of the QM2 from port. Only the top half was showing.....really eerie......2 minutes later she was gone completely.

Jerry, I think the N/E Canada trip is one of my very favorites. Enjoy. :)

Hey Brigitte, I hope you print, sign, and frame those photos! -S.

Great marine map,thanks!
Don't forget...wind direction and tide are a significant influence regarding states of the sea. Here in the Western Approaches an easterly wind is going to spoil the day of any small craft and as it gets stronger we start to see larger ships taking shelter.

'When the wind is in the east

Tis neither good for man nor beast'

Having said that it would need a blooming hurricane to move the flagship. :)

Don't forget...wind direction and tide are a significant influence regarding states of the sea. Here in the Western Approaches an easterly wind is going to spoil the day of any small craft and as it gets stronger we start to see larger ships taking shelter.

'When the wind is in the east

Tis neither good for man nor beast'

Having said that it would need a blooming hurricane to move the flagship. :)

...and yet heavy fog will bring it to a crawl. And a sudden squall, as experienced in the Caribbean, will move the sea in the most surprising ways - even an ocean liner will pay attention!

As the rhyme goes:

When the wind is in the east,

'Tis neither good for man nor beast;

When the wind is in the north,

The skilful Asher goes not forth;

When the wind is in the south,

It blows the bait in the fishes' mouth;

When the wind is in the west,

Then 'tis at the very best.

Edited by Salacia

Good point about heavy fog but I definitely do not recommend being on 'the outside looking in' :eek:

Being in a small craft out at sea and caught out by a heavy sea mist or fog is definitely one way of speeding up the old heart beat.

The first thing we obviously hear is the ship's bell or horn. You have absolutely NO idea of the ship's direction, speed or even distance. You convince yourself the vessel is coming right at you as the horn gets louder and then you start to hear the throbbing beat of its propeller\s. As this vessel gets closer, not only do these noises get louder, the hull of the boat starts to vibrate. Think back to the war films we see of submarine crews trapped in their boat and listening to the propellers of the approaching ship.. Yup, I joke not, it is not a comfortable situation. Confirmation of the ship having gone by is the wash... If it was really close then the wash lets you know in no uncertain manner but slowing down!!! Yes they should slowdown and yes they should keep a diligent watch but sadly this is not always the case, although I am sure the QM2 will slow down.

Moral of the story is to ensure we carry as much safety equipment as is practical and if we can install a radar deflector then better safe than sorry.

Next most scary experience on this boat was being directly below Concord when it went through the sound barrier :D:D (great way of relieving constipation) :o

Apologies for thread drift

John reminiscer

Emergency medevac: Just read this report about a 67 year old male passenger being hoisted off the QM2 by a US Coast Guard helicopter last night around midnight when the ship was off the coast of Nantucket...http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/content/20131017-coast-guard-helicopter-hoists-man-off-cruise-ship-queen-mary-ii.ece

Best wishes and prayers. -S.

I remember Commodore Warner discussing the weather on board the QM2.

he said the worst enemy to ship is FOG.

I can understand that. It is very unsettling to be on board a ship in dense fog

and hearing the loud bass sound of the fog horn.

There seems to alot of FOG conditions off Rhode Island, Nantucket and the

New England coast, with the changing of climate. Mid October should have less

fog conditions than July,but it doesn't seem so.

15-Oct-13 New York

16-Oct-13 Newport, RI

17-Oct-13 Bar Harbor, ME

18-Oct-13 Boston, MA

19-Oct-13 St. John, New Brunswick

20-Oct-13 Nova Scotia

21-Oct-13 At Sea to Quebec

22-Oct-13 Quebec

23-Oct-13 Quebec

24-Oct-13 At sea to NY

25-Oct-13 At sea to NY

26-Oct-13 At sea to NY

27-Oct-13 New York

15-Oct-13 New York

16-Oct-13 Newport, RI

17-Oct-13 Bar Harbor, ME

18-Oct-13 Boston, MA

19-Oct-13 St. John, New Brunswick

20-Oct-13 Nova Scotia

21-Oct-13 At Sea to Quebec

22-Oct-13 Quebec

23-Oct-13 Quebec

24-Oct-13 At sea to NY

25-Oct-13 At sea to NY

26-Oct-13 At sea to NY

27-Oct-13 New York

Thank you for posting the itinerary but I'm not sure that's quite right? Boston was 17th October and Bar Harbor was today 18th October.

20th October is Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I remember Commodore Warner discussing the weather on board the QM2.

he said the worst enemy to ship is FOG.

I can understand that. It is very unsettling to be on board a ship in dense fog

and hearing the loud bass sound of the fog horn.

There seems to alot of FOG conditions off Rhode Island, Nantucket and the

New England coast, with the changing of climate. Mid October should have less

fog conditions than July,but it doesn't seem so.

Hi turquoise, yes the fog QM2 encountered in July and September was amazing, especially dense on the July cruise. I've never see the phenomenon we encountered in Bar Harbor last month. (Kudos to Brigitte for taking photos - within seconds of framing a shot, all I capture was fog!)

Judging by the captain's comments, the fog in Bar Harbor was very unusual - otherwise he would not have released 2 tenders only to recall them shortly after reaching port.

Personally, I love the sound of fog horns - not so much on when I'm on a small boat, but when on an ocean liner, it's somehow very pleasant. (I understand others feel otherwise.)

Edited by Salacia

The "24-hour history" feature of that Webcam is interesting. The QM2 was alongside at 8:50. Every year for the past several years I take a train trip with friends from Toronto to Halifax. I always plan our dates to co-ordinate with a call by a Cunard ship - usually the QM2. Until a few years ago the ship would either arrive or depart by making a sweep around Georges Island. Lately they just spin around and slide into the dock. As they are pointing towards the sea, the departure is also simplified. It was well worth a walk down to the boardwalk when the ships went around the small island. I have photos and video of the QM2 when they used to do that and the QE on its first trip to Canada and the QE2 on its many calls, including the arrival and departure on its last call when it gave an unexpected sweep around the harbour on departure.

According to the times given on sea-scanner, she seems to have arrived early in Saint John.

bds5rb.jpg

Thanks for the amazing photo. The lighting is gorgeous.

The QM2 as you said arrived early. I sailed into St.John on the QM2. If I remember correctly the arrival and departure has to due with the tides.

On one trip we left St.John after midnight,late, due to the tide in the harbour.

very interesting

According to the times given on sea-scanner, she seems to have arrived early in Saint John.

bds5rb.jpg

Thanks for the very evocative capture...

On my voyage last month, QM2 just seemed to float there and rest comfortably, like a cat going to a familiar window sill.

Oddly enough, that is exactly the way I felt when I stepped ashore. Interesting place, Saint John; I must go back.

I hereby request that the QM2 make stops in Hamilton , Bermuda(AS done in Halifax) The QV,and Queen Elizabeth should do the same.

Bermuda is warmer and more attractive than Halifax, and Cunard Ships are registered in Hamilton ,Bermuda.

If you agree, we should let the Head Office know and make it happen.:D