Weather in Northern Norway

Playtennis

DW and I are visiting Savannah, GA for the first time and packed shorts for our walking around the deep south. We were greeted yesterday with 40 degrees and 15 knot winds making us dart into a clothing store for hoodies.

What's this got to do with Northern Norway, you ask?

Next August we have signed up for the 20 day Path of the Midnight Sun cruise aboard the Nautica that goes WAY north and, while we don't want to overpack, we would like to be prepared.

Any advice from those who have gone before on packing correctly...shorts or long johns?

Northern Norway shares the same latitude as Alaska, Greenland and Siberia, but its' climate is more temperate.

Late June to early August is when the weather is warmest with temperatures sometimes reaching as high as 77°F - 86°F. August is considered to be the start of their "Rainy Season", during which there may be as many as 15 to 18 wet days per month.

The weather, and temperatures in Norway are known for their sudden changes, so sensible footwear and layered clothing are highly recommended.

We did the Norway cruise in 2010... bring a winter coat for the North Cape & Arctic circle if you are going that far north

Mitts & a hat that covers your ears is also good

Svalbard was cold in the morning but we were able to take a layer off in the afternoon

A rain jacket & good walking shoes that are water proof good things to have

The southern ports were fine sometimes just a light jacket will do

LAYERS is my best suggestion

Lyn

I've cruised Norway probably 10 times, including to North Cape, past the Svalbard Islands, and into the polar ice cap.

You don't need shorts. You do need sweatshirts and at least a windbreaker, with long pants and gloves.

You may need lighter weight clothes further south, and could even have some warm---almost hot---sunny days.

Bring more cold-weather clothes than hot weather.

This has got to be my most favorite place in the world for cruising. The scenery is outstanding, and the air is as fresh as you could want.

Enjoy it to the max!

Thank you all for your advice. I was hoping that you would tell me that global warming has caused it to be Miami-like since my trip to the Lofoten Island in '97. We will be packing appropriately

Hey, I'm going to hijack my own thread...

When crossing the Arctic Circle does the ship have a "Blue Nose" Ceremony?

I agree with Lyn and Ruth. We were with Lyn on the 2010 Midnight Sun cruise. Down south it was very pleasant. No winter gear necessary! But up north it was a different story. (No, we didn't need parkas.)

But I remember being quite cold on deck going through the Arctic Circle approach.

We didn't have much rain but did have some as I recall.

This is a wonderful cruise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One note ... I had booked a boat tour of the fjord in Geiranger in advance of the cruise but since we sailed into Geiranger on the same fjord I was going to cancel it. We ran into friends who were planning on buying tickets for the same trip and they convinced us to stick with the original plan.

I was glad they did since it was a very different view from just above the water as opposed to Deck 8 on Insignia! And a very pleasant sojurn. You can buy tickets online.

Mura

I was thinking of getting one of those lightweight Columbia sportswear jackets that I have seen advertised with the reflective lining (and layers, of course). Would this work? We're doing the midnight sun this year and a Celebrity cruise to Antarctica in February.

I was thinking of getting one of those lightweight Columbia sportswear jackets that I have seen advertised with the reflective lining (and layers, of course). Would this work? We're doing the midnight sun this year and a Celebrity cruise to Antarctica in February.

I did notice that you are on the 2013 version of our 2014 cruise that goes to all of the same ports except for Bremerhaven, Germany. We are hoping that you (and your fellow cruisers) will share the info about your private tours with the 2014 cruisers.

I have been looking forward to sailing around the North Cape for a long time. TO do it on an Oceania Cruise makes it ten times better!

Well, there are those of us who have done the cruise ... and would be happy to give info!

Unfortunately, my computer ate my entire record of our cruise in 2010, but I remember pretty well lots of things. The itinerary is probably somewhat differnet (we didn't go to Bremerhaven) but feel free to email me at mkievman@nyc.rr.com

Mura

I prebooked a taxi for 7 of us it was about 1800 NOK

then the entrance fee to the North Cape centre was about 235 NOK pp

it still worked out a lot cheaper than O

Our driver took us to a few places on the way up to the North Cape stopped for some "Kodak Moments" along the way

Now Murmansk we lucked out with the weather ..it was warm & sunny ..t-shirt weather the day before we were in fleece jackets & mitts

you just never know ;)

Lyn

Did a 14 day Royal Princess many years ago in July. We had 14 days of postcard weather. I stood on North Cape in shorts and T-shirt and ate wonderful local berries at a hotel buffet. Got a sunburn eating breakfast on deck. Weather is an unpredictable as marriage.

Enjoy.:)

Did a 14 day Royal Princess many years ago in July. We had 14 days of postcard weather. I stood on North Cape in shorts and T-shirt and ate wonderful local berries at a hotel buffet. Got a sunburn eating breakfast on deck. Weather is an unpredictable as marriage.

Enjoy.:)

We too had a very hot day while visiting the North Cape - but things can change (isn't that the very definition of weather? :D)

My best advice is to invest in a 3-1 jacket.

Columbia makes an excellent one. The outer shell is a hooded windbreaker (hood disappears into its own zippered compartment at the neck/some unsnap) then the inner is a fleece jacket which can also be worn separately.

Inner and outer can be zipped or snapped together for easy on-off. (Mr Wonderful may have a Patagonia one)

Then I stick a small knit cap and knit gloves in the pockets of the outer shell. I can actually squeeze the outer shell into a jumbo-sized zippered storage bag (think Hefty brand or similar) so it can be packed without taking up much room.

I bought this some years ago and it worked for Scandinavia, Alaska, Canada, and US/Canadian National Parks and still looks great.

It is ideal for all kinds of weather and when you get home it goes easily into a domestic-size washer and both hang to dry.

When crossing the Arctic Circle does the ship have a "Blue Nose" Ceremony?

Every time I have crossed the Arctic Circle, the ship (different line) has had an "Arctic Swim" in the pool. It was a kick (getting out was a lot harder than getting in), and we got a Polar Bear certificate.

For your sake, I hope Oceania does something to mark the occasion. It's something you will never forget.

For your sake, I hope Oceania does something to mark the occasion. It's something you will never forget.

YES they do a ceremony ...it was too cold for me to stand on the deck to watch but we all got a certificate to mark the occasion

Lyn

I did notice that you are on the 2013 version of our 2014 cruise that goes to all of the same ports except for Bremerhaven, Germany. We are hoping that you (and your fellow cruisers) will share the info about your private tours with the 2014 cruisers.

I have been looking forward to sailing around the North Cape for a long time. TO do it on an Oceania Cruise makes it ten times better!

I thought I answered this yesterday but my response disappeared or never got properly posted.

I would recommend checking our Roll Call and reviewing some of the information we have discussed on private tours (not too many developing, but certainly some action for Longyearbyen, Honningsvag and Murmansk). Many of the ports can be explored independently. Our cruise schedule makes private tours or a commercially available tour (e.g., boat to the Lysefjord from Stavanger) a little challenging because of the hours we're in port.

Every time I have crossed the Arctic Circle, the ship (different line) has had an "Arctic Swim" in the pool. It was a kick (getting out was a lot harder than getting in), and we got a Polar Bear certificate.

For your sake, I hope Oceania does something to mark the occasion. It's something you will never forget. [/q

NATURE OFFEN SURPRISES WITH THE BEST SUNSETS AND MEMORIES NEVER TO FORGET. NIGHT BEFORE CROSSING ARCTIC CIRCLE I WAS ON DECK AND CAUGHT THE BEST GREEN FLASH I HAD EVER WITNESSED. IT WAS AS IF A GIANT HAND HAD SQUEEZED A LIME ON THE HORIZON OF OUR GOLDEN SLATE SEA. THE SHIP'S CLOCK HANGING OVER THE TEAK PROMENADE DOCUMENTED THE MOMENT AS 1:15 AM. :cool:

NIGHT BEFORE CROSSING ARCTIC CIRCLE I WAS ON DECK AND CAUGHT THE BEST GREEN FLASH I HAD EVER WITNESSED.

With all of my time at sea (something over 600 nights) I have never seen the green flash. It's one thing I would like to see.

I am jealous.

I thought I answered this yesterday but my response disappeared or never got properly posted.

I would recommend checking our Roll Call and reviewing some of the information we have discussed on private tours (not too many developing, but certainly some action for Longyearbyen, Honningsvag and Murmansk). Many of the ports can be explored independently. Our cruise schedule makes private tours or a commercially available tour (e.g., boat to the Lysefjord from Stavanger) a little challenging because of the hours we're in port.

Rubysue,

I agree that it is a great idea to follow the roll call and I am doing that now. What seems to happen, however, is that some info gets passed privately (email) and doesn't get on the CC threads. Have and will also continue to explore that which is found on the Internet through independent search.

K

Our driver took us to a few places on the way up to the North Cape stopped for some "Kodak Moments" along the way

I remember being on that excursion with you Lyn. One of the memorable moments was the...let's just say rather inebriated man laying on the ground near where we had stopped to photograph a herd of reindeer grazing by the road. The man screamed at me for taking a picture of "his" reindeer. :rolleyes:

We're doing the Norway itinerary again in 2014. Come along!

I remember being on that excursion with you Lyn. One of the memorable moments was the...let's just say rather inebriated man laying on the ground near where we had stopped to photograph a herd of reindeer grazing by the road. The man screamed at me for taking a picture of "his" reindeer. :rolleyes:

We're doing the Norway itinerary again in 2014. Come along!

YES Randy

I remember that guy LOL

Even the taxi driver was surprised :D

I would love to do the cruise again but....

Lyn

Rubysue,

I agree that it is a great idea to follow the roll call and I am doing that now. What seems to happen, however, is that some info gets passed privately (email) and doesn't get on the CC threads.

K

You may want to look up the 2010

Land Of the Midnight Sun cruise in the Roll Calls for Insignia

We had lots of info ..we shared;)

some people do not "get" the concept of a ROLL CALL ;)

You may want to look up the 2010

Land Of the Midnight Sun cruise in the Roll Calls for Insignia

We had lots of info ..we shared;)

some people do not "get" the concept of a ROLL CALL ;)

Thank you Lyn! I figured out that the roll calls from past cruises needed to be searched for (sorry about ending in a preposition). You did have a lively roll call - 512 posts!

BTW, you were very helpful to DW and I when we were planing our first cruise with Oceania. There are a few people from the CC boards that I'd like to meet: JIMandSTAN, Horndog (sp?) and you, just to name a few. Alas, we are not big-time cruisers as we look to sail about every 5 years and will probably never cross paths! We are looking forward to a trip aboard one of the O ships...maybe there!

Keith

Thank you Lyn! I figured out that the roll calls from past cruises needed to be searched for (sorry about ending in a preposition). You did have a lively roll call - 512 posts!

BTW, you were very helpful to DW and I when we were planing our first cruise with Oceania. There are a few people from the CC boards that I'd like to meet: JIMandSTAN, Horndog (sp?) and you, just to name a few. Alas, we are not big-time cruisers as we look to sail about every 5 years and will probably never cross paths! We are looking forward to a trip aboard one of the O ships...maybe there!

Keith

Your welcome

we did have a great group on the roll call

Well never say never ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Archived